Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 05:22 PM

912 posts, read 1,286,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacyserrao View Post
We have 3 Walmarts in Simi Valley so I am certainly not embarrassed to go there. Why spend $7.00 on body wash at Target when I can get it for $4.00 at Walmart!
Nobody's buying their body wash at Target or Walmart. Everybody knows HEB is cheaper than both.

You can't pay me to go into a Walmart anyway. The lines are way too long.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:11 PM

79 posts, read 80,705 times
You appear to be in a bit of a conundrum, OP. You want to live in a small, conservative satellite town of Austin and drive into Austin proper on weekends to enjoy some "life," as you call it. The problem is, many, if not most, of Austin's music venues, clubs, bars, restaurants, coffee shops, interesting little stores, festivals, concerts, parades, and general gaiety are generated and run by the very people you wish to avoid -- liberals. The multitude of parks, preserves, walking trails, bike lanes, and beauty spots -- again, liberals. The insistence on clean air, clean water, and a modicum of zoning -- guess who? It's as though you want to partake of what liberals have worked hard to create and maintain, then go home to your little town and say how terrible liberals are.

As for the perfect little conservative town ... there aren't any that surround Austin within quite a few miles. Yes, there are some that vote mostly Republican, attend church regularly, worship high school football, etc., but many of these towns are now experiencing rampant growth and development and are attracting many new residents, many of whom are liberals. You would be amazed at how many Clinton signs I saw in "conservative" Drippings Springs front yards during the last presidential election. And housing prices in these outlying towns are rising at a staggering rate.

This is not to discourage you from considering the Austin area -- or any area -- as a new home, but you might want to consider the plausibility of your criteria. Outside of some very remote spots in Alaska, Idaho, North Dakota, the deep South, and the like, it's going to be very difficult for you and your family to find a new locale that meets your requirements. Most small towns that are near a major city -- and especially if that city is a state capital and home to a large university -- are going to be influenced by that city. In addition, you're concerned about Austin as a possible sanctuary city, but I hope you're aware that any state that borders on Mexico is or no doubt will become a sanctuary state. You also need to do more homework on how taxes work in this state.

You mention that your father is adamantly against moving anywhere near Austin. Consider his position carefully, for his present negativity about Austin will only increase once you move here.

I do wish you luck in your search.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:19 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,912,334 times
We are conservative. My husband is a native Texan and I was raised in the Midwest. After 35 years working in Massachusetts we moved back to Texas 5 years ago. We live in Williamson county, which has been historically conservative. The influx of retirees and people from other states looking for jobs and a good lifestyle is changing the demographic here and in much of Texas as people of more politically liberal persuasions continue to want to escape city traffic and enjoy a more rural environment. For the most part, however, Texas is a live and let live kind of place. I've no doubt you and your family will find many like-minded folks to hang out with.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:37 PM

46 posts, read 75,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokemoki View Post
You appear to be in a bit of a conundrum, OP. You want to live in a small, conservative satellite town of Austin and drive into Austin proper on weekends to enjoy some "life," as you call it. The problem is, many, if not most, of Austin's music venues, clubs, bars, restaurants, coffee shops, interesting little stores, festivals, concerts, parades, and general gaiety are generated and run by the very people you wish to avoid -- liberals. The multitude of parks, preserves, walking trails, bike lanes, and beauty spots -- again, liberals. The insistence on clean air, clean water, and a modicum of zoning -- guess who? It's as though you want to partake of what liberals have worked hard to create and maintain, then go home to your little town and say how terrible liberals are.

As for the perfect little conservative town ... there aren't any that surround Austin within quite a few miles. Yes, there are some that vote mostly Republican, attend church regularly, worship high school football, etc., but many of these towns are now experiencing rampant growth and development and are attracting many new residents, many of whom are liberals. You would be amazed at how many Clinton signs I saw in "conservative" Drippings Springs front yards during the last presidential election. And housing prices in these outlying towns are rising at a staggering rate.

This is not to discourage you from considering the Austin area -- or any area -- as a new home, but you might want to consider the plausibility of your criteria. Outside of some very remote spots in Alaska, Idaho, North Dakota, the deep South, and the like, it's going to be very difficult for you and your family to find a new locale that meets your requirements. Most small towns that are near a major city -- and especially if that city is a state capital and home to a large university -- are going to be influenced by that city. In addition, you're concerned about Austin as a possible sanctuary city, but I hope you're aware that any state that borders on Mexico is or no doubt will become a sanctuary state. You also need to do more homework on how taxes work in this state.

You mention that your father is adamantly against moving anywhere near Austin. Consider his position carefully, for his present negativity about Austin will only increase once you move here.

I do wish you luck in your search.
Oh. Are you from California? If you're not from California, you would certainly fit in well. As I can see from your posts on a few other threads, you aren't really a gun toting kind of person so I'll have to take your response with a grain of salt. I doubt you'd want us near your town so I understand.

Do not fret though, your comments and comments from your fellow neighbors have officially confirmed we will not be headed to Austin! I do sincerely hope the Texas government stands firm and doesn't allow the democrats to ruin another great state as they did in California.

I appreciate my fellow conservatives who reached out and messaged me to give me an honest opinion.

Thanks all!

Old 04-26-2017, 01:29 AM

1 posts, read 838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacyserrao View Post
Oh. Are you from California? If you're not from California, you would certainly fit in well. As I can see from your posts on a few other threads, you aren't really a gun toting kind of person so I'll have to take your response with a grain of salt. I doubt you'd want us near your town so I understand.

Do not fret though, your comments and comments from your fellow neighbors have officially confirmed we will not be headed to Austin! I do sincerely hope the Texas government stands firm and doesn't allow the democrats to ruin another great state as they did in California.

I appreciate my fellow conservatives who reached out and messaged me to give me an honest opinion.

Thanks all!
Good decision.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:22 AM

716 posts, read 540,191 times
i so happy that to hear that one;y liberals build parks and trail - i would have never know that if not for the site

i did not not either that shops that are funky are owned by liberals too - wow what a surprise also

Old 04-26-2017, 07:48 AM

Don't know what lack of "gun toting" has to do with my helpful comments regarding real estate, small town ambiance, taxes, and political realities. Stick to the subject, li'l gal. Look for the helpfulness offered instead of sidetracking. Why didn't you comment on what I wrote to you, instead of cherry-picking old posts?

I'm a fifth generation Californian who's lived in Texas 42 years. Yes, I fit in well in California and, with the exception of some recent odious neighbors, I fit in well in Texas. Where do you fit in? As I remarked, I think you and your family are going to have a very difficult time finding this mythological conservative small town -- anywhere.

Both Texas and California will survive quite well without you.

Good luck to you.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Don't know what lack of "gun toting" has to do with my helpful comments regarding real estate, small town ambiance, taxes, and political realities. Stick to the subject, li'l gal. Look for the helpfulness offered instead of sidetracking. Why didn't you comment on what I wrote to you, instead of cherry-picking old posts?

I'm a fifth generation Californian who's lived in Texas 42 years. Yes, I fit in well in California and, with the exception of some recent odious neighbors, I fit in well in Texas. Where do you fit in? As I remarked, I think you and your family are going to have a very difficult time finding this mythological conservative small town -- anywhere.

Good luck to you.
You know it's funny, you call it a mythical place but I've had so many people messaging me with quite different, help information. You think I'm going to take your advice after the snide comments you made?

Come on, you should be happy that we don't want to be your neighbor but instead you try to educate me about how liberals are the only ones opening parks and restaurants. There are more people in larger cities of course there's going to be more to do. Is it wrong of me to want to go there without living there? Only liberals are allowed inside the city? I have been extremely nice in this thread and only wanted honest advice but you just couldn't help yourself. Your governor is trying pretty hard to stop Austin from becoming a sanctuary city so I wouldn't place such a high bet on your theory.

If you really thought I'd take any of your advice after your rude comments about us complaining about liberals and then going back to our little conservative towns than you are highly mistaken. We actually fit in quite well in the city we are in now but it's too expensive and we don't like the California laws.

I know liberals think that the liberal way is the only way but next you "give advice" leave your snarky comments behind and maybe they'll take you seriously!

Thank ya!

Old 04-26-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:

Good luck to you.

And PLEASE PLEASE excuse my french but WTF is so mythical about living in a more conservative city inside of a more conservative state with access to a city? You know, it isn't even so much that I disagree with the democrats, I am actually more of a moderate conservative but it is people like you who make me want to be away from liberals! I actually support a lot of liberal views but fall on the conservative side on most so please take your advice and shove it down someone else's throat.

I have been raised in southern California my entire life, one of the most liberal places in America. God forbid I want to live somewhere that isn't so extremely liberal. Is that a crime?

Maybe if you weren't all so damn one sided, we'd be able to get along more. We are simply trying to live our day to day lives, avoiding what we have been dealing with for so long. We aren't (or atleast i'm not) trying to go live under a rock and never see a liberal again. If you look back in my posts, you'll see that I am perfectly fine co-existing with people who disagree with me, it is a America!!

Good god people.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:33 AM

You keep changing the reasons you want to leave California and continue to flip-flop over whether you do actually want to leave Cali or not. You appear to be a rather confused young lady, and you make a lot of unfounded and incorrect assumptions about whether online strangers are "liberal" or "conservative." I suggest you ditch the inconsistencies, hyperbole, and assumptions and do some hard, statistical homework about any place you consider for a future home. Do grow up!

Good luck finding your paradise, li'l gal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin