Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 12:19 PM

420 posts, read 403,437 times

Advertisements

Both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 03:34 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
Next question...two of us are arriving early, like 10:30am and will be waiting for the others to arrive from later flights. Given we are staying in Clarksville, what is a place within say 10-15 minutes of there that would be good to have a bite to eat, a few beers and kill 3 hours. Not interested in a place that will only be college kids, but not looking for an expensive place either.

Thanks,

Old 10-23-2017, 03:36 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Next question...two of us are arriving early, like 10:30am and will be waiting for the others to arrive from later flights. Given we are staying in Clarksville, what is a place within say 10-15 minutes of there that would be good to have a bite to eat, a few beers and kill 3 hours. Not interested in a place that will only be college kids, but not looking for an expensive place either.

Thanks,
I'd hit 24 Diner. It's right in Clarksville, open 24/7, has good food and a wide variety on the menu. 24 Diner

Old 10-23-2017, 04:01 PM

420 posts, read 403,437 times
Quote:

Thanks,
I’d definitely give Stiles Switch a thought, in addition to A-Tex’s rec.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
I'd hit 24 Diner. It's right in Clarksville, open 24/7, has good food and a wide variety on the menu. 24 Diner
Great suggestion. Looks good. Will be on the short list. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:22 PM

Had a great trip - just got back yesterday. Enjoyed Austin quite a bit.

Loved Easy Tiger - thanks for that suggestion.
Ate BBQ at Terry Black's. It was great.
Also had a meal at Galaxy Cafe which was solid.
24 Diner was also a good call. Expensive for what you got, but tasty food and good vibe.

Some observations:

Pretty much 75% of the women we saw were under 25 and drop dead gorgeous. How the heck do that many exist?? It was overload.

People were generally friendly, especially our Lyft drivers.

I thought Austin would be more diverse and "weird" than it was. We went to the Texas/Kansas game and hit a bar beforehand. 95% of the bar was lily white and pretty. Most of the people walking around were white. Even in the downtown/6th street area, where you saw the more "fringe" element of Austin was really just a normal crowd for this Chicagoan. The "weird" people seemed cleaner and less weird than in other parts of the country. I think Austin is just weird for Texas, not for the US. This is not a complaint, BTW.

Went to get groceries at Fresh Plus in Clarksville and the prices were outrageously high. Generally, we felt prices were a bit higher than they should have been everywhere.

We did not see any "bad" areas - maybe we missed them? Clarksville was beautiful. Walked from there to south of the river, and downtown, and Rainey, and up to campus. Totally safe everywhere.

People in Austin really embrace Texas. At the football game especially. Felt like an hour straight of Hail to Texas.

So many college girls wear skirts and cowboy boots that it became like cliche wallpaper. It's like they go to school there just so they can wear that outfit.

I can definitely see the draw to the city. Nice place, lots to do. Glad we went.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:50 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,873 times
Quote:

I thought Austin would be more diverse and "weird" than it was. We went to the Texas/Kansas game and hit a bar beforehand. 95% of the bar was lily white and pretty. Most of the people walking around were white. Even in the downtown/6th street area, where you saw the more "fringe" element of Austin was really just a normal crowd for this Chicagoan. The "weird" people seemed cleaner and less weird than in other parts of the country. I think Austin is just weird for Texas, not for the US. This is not a complaint, BTW.
Austin is less diverse than Dallas and Houston and frankly less "weird," IMO. The only thing weird about Austin is that people there think it's weird. It used to have more authenticity to it but now it's people (mostly transplants) trying to fit in to old Austin stereotypes. Glad you had fun though .

Old 11-14-2017, 02:02 PM

That makes a lot of sense. I was like, where is all this weirdness? Looks like people with money who want to play weird for Halloween.

I did like the retro/Route 66 style vibe of many establishments. Also loved how most places were set up for lots of indoor/outdoor seating. Very nice for mild November weather.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:35 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
That makes a lot of sense. I was like, where is all this weirdness? Looks like people with money who want to play weird for Halloween.

I did like the retro/Route 66 style vibe of many establishments. Also loved how most places were set up for lots of indoor/outdoor seating. Very nice for mild November weather.
austin was never weird, it was a tagline coined by businessmen.

If anything, austin was slacker and to some extent still is.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:06 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,751 times

Sounds like a return trip is in order one day, this time you can visit San Antonio and other spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin