Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 07:25 PM

15 posts, read 19,272 times

Advertisements

We are a young family moving from Houston. Our youngest is in kindergarten. Kiddos are 5, 3, and 1.

Husband has accepted a job in Austin. We are used to a one hour commute to work as is common in the greater Houston area, but would love to buy a home within 30-45 minutes. An hour would not be a deal breaker.

Our housing budget is low 200's, and schools are our priority. We want our children to receive a solid education, but I am not hyperfocused on standardized testing scores. A family-friendly neighborhood that is safe is also a must.

We are completely blind on this. What areas should we consider, or not consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 07:30 PM

550 posts, read 498,511 times
Where's the job?

Old 10-05-2017, 07:52 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug87 View Post
We are a young family moving from Houston. Our youngest is in kindergarten. Kiddos are 5, 3, and 1.

Husband has accepted a job in Austin. We are used to a one hour commute to work as is common in the greater Houston area, but would love to buy a home within 30-45 minutes. An hour would not be a deal breaker.

Our housing budget is low 200's, and schools are our priority. We want our children to receive a solid education, but I am not hyperfocused on standardized testing scores. A family-friendly neighborhood that is safe is also a must.

We are completely blind on this. What areas should we consider, or not consider?
As already asked, where's the job? Closest major intersection? That will help us to give you better advice.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:57 PM

15 posts, read 19,272 times
Job is @ the Austin Statesman. So somewhere downtown?

Old 10-05-2017, 08:09 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Any search of the forum discussing relocation and Houston would be a good start. Living downtown at a low 200s budget is out of the question. Living in a good school district within an hour commute at the low 200s is almost out of the question. You may want to rent first before buying. I would focus on the southern areas of Kyle and Buda. Maybe even San Marcos since you'e comfortable with the driving. Hays, in my opinion is slightly better of a school district that San Marcos.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:46 AM

202 posts, read 352,861 times
Low 200's is my husband and I's budget and it's basically impossible. I work near downtown and there's no way I could find something in that commute (that is decent...I don't expect luxury) in that price range

Old 10-06-2017, 10:23 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug87 View Post
Job is @ the Austin Statesman. So somewhere downtown?
As has been said, something in the low $200's downtown or anywhere close is rarer than a unicorn. Familiarity with the market (and a quick check of the MLS) indicates Pflugerville and Leander are your best bets, really.

As for schools, I've learned that a school that is great for one kid can be a disaster for another, and that's in the same family! So I wouldn't begin to be able to say what would be a good school for your kids who I don't know. Having been there, done that in past, I can say that you'll have to talk to the schools and hopefully some parents who have kids there in order to figure out which ones would work for yours.

However, I did a quick search on three school districts, Leander, Round Rock, and Lake Travis, in your price range with nothing else included in the way of criteria, and came up with 32 hits right now. Some will be at the far edge of your commute preference, though.

Looking in the Hays ISD (Kyle/Buda to the south), there are 39 homes. So it is doable, but you'll be in traffic and a longer commute either way.

Last edited by TexasHorseLady; 10-06-2017 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Hit post too soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin