Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 04:56 PM

169 posts, read 186,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
It's actually kind of funny because (and I'm not saying you are doing this) a lot of the dialog is about "will I be accepted by Austin"
Certainly has nothing to do with the reputation the South has towards immigrants, and how vocal the related subset of people has become starting November 2016...

Quote:
rather than "how can I best contribute to the Austin community and become a part of it?"
Nobody moves to a city with a goal to "contribute" to its community. People move because it's better for them and their situation, not for the community. Are you living in Austin because you want to contribute to its community, or because you like living here?

Don't make people feel bad with your faux-altruism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 07:00 PM

420 posts, read 403,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantfixstupid View Post
We really don't need anymore people here. The better option is to be humble and appreciate what you have and not destroy the lives of others by being another invader on the take. Especially one that does not vote. If people voted where the currently resided they would likely get a different outcome in their part of the world. Running does not solve problems. That is the core of our problems. We expect a difference, but it is only different on the surface.
This post has jack **** to do with the OP’s inquiry.

Cracks me up how many of the posters in this thread and sub forum are recent transplants talking about “hey, we’re full”

Old 11-05-2017, 09:46 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKneedep View Post
Certainly has nothing to do with the reputation the South has towards immigrants, and how vocal the related subset of people has become starting November 2016...

Nobody moves to a city with a goal to "contribute" to its community. People move because it's better for them and their situation, not for the community. Are you living in Austin because you want to contribute to its community, or because you like living here?

Don't make people feel bad with your faux-altruism.
Uh..., I do ask myself every day how I can contribute to the people, places and things I come into contact with. Doesn't everyone?

Maybe you don't, and that's why it seems odd to you when you hear someone talk about coming from a place of contribution.

I don't fault the OP for the post, and I said that in my response. I was commenting on the commonality I observe in that "category of post", which, if you've been on the Austin Forum as long as some of us have, you too would recognize as another "will I fit in?" post. I was offering a different take and some context as a responder.

I'm sorry you think it makes people "feel bad", but there is no "faux altruism" coming from me. I practice what I preach and live it everyday. Maybe you don't, and that's why you feel threatened by the concept?

Steve

Old 11-05-2017, 10:01 AM

169 posts, read 186,882 times
Quote:
Maybe you don't, and that's why you feel threatened by the concept
No Steve, I don't. I have hobbies. I don't feel threatened, but it sounds like you'd be great buddies with Jesus. Hope you continue spread the joy! We need more people like you.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:44 PM

472 posts, read 432,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantfixstupid View Post
We really don't need anymore people here. The better option is to be humble and appreciate what you have and not destroy the lives of others by being another invader on the take. Especially one that does not vote. If people voted where the currently resided they would likely get a different outcome in their part of the world. Running does not solve problems. That is the core of our problems. We expect a difference, but it is only different on the surface.
WTF? I guess stupid really can't be fixed (referring to your username, Cantfixstupid)

Old 11-05-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Nobody in Austin will care that you are an immigrant. Sorry.

We get a lot of these "will people like me?" or "will I fit in?" on the forums over the years for all variety or race, creed, color, mixed race marriage, conservative, liberal, gay, hunters, vegans, Redskin fans, pierced/tatted, etc, etc, etc.

It's actually kind of funny because (and I'm not saying you are doing this) a lot of the dialog is about "will I be accepted by Austin" rather than "how can I best contribute to the Austin community and become a part of it?"

I can't speak for everyone and their thoughts or attitudes about blending into the communities they choose, but if I personally was going to move to a place where I felt I might be "different", I would do my best to learn about and adopt the norms, customs and traditions of that place while retaining whatever degree of my heritage or "ways" I felt comfortable with. I would still be "me", but aware that I have a new envirnment to adapt to and find ways to contribute to it.

For example, if I retired to Mexico, I would 100% learn Spanish, learns the "ways" of the locals (not just seek out only other expatriate Americans), while remembering that I am an American and that I need not try to fully become a "Mexican" to fit in.

You can become an "Austintie" without giving up who you are, but it's a two way street.

What do you have to offer Austin?

Steve
Man! It's really getting stupid in here now. Who really thinks in that way? Especially during a stressful time like moving. If you were to (say) move to a new city in a different state for a job or family etc. would you be asking around to see how you could contribute to that city? Or would you be researching and shopping around for your own move? There is a time and a place for everything.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS1919 View Post
Hi Folks,

We are considering a move to the Austin area from NYC. My husband is finishing up his dental residency and eventually has plans to open up a practice. Both, hubs and I, are immigrants from Russia/Israel, with hubs having a noticeable accent. We also have two kiddos who we try to talk in Russian to so that they can retain the language. With Texas not having such a big/diverse international immigrant population (esp. Russian/Israeli), I wanted to reach out for some feedback. We are seriously considering resettling in or around Austin, which tends to be more progressive than the rest of the state (correct me if I'm wrong). Are folks generally accepting of first generation immigrants? Can I talk to my kids in Russian outside without getting "looks?" As a dental professional, will people be open to going to a transplant from NYC with an accent and Israeli background. Does it vary depending on how far from Austin you go. I apologize if I'm being presumptuous about Texas, but NYC is such a melting pot that feeling accepted based on our background or culture has never been a concern here and I just had to ask because I want to feel comfortable and accepted in the next place we live (ideally Austin!).

Thanks all!
All valid concerns and I don't just say that because you're moving from NYC to Texas. In my decade+ of living in this wonderful city (of Austin) I have come across way more welcoming people than not. So I'd say you will be just fine. While not at the level of NYC or San Francisco, Austin is a melting pot of different cultures both national and international. At least in the city of Austin you won't find any issues with speaking Russian out in public freely. I have many friends who converse in their native languages with family but of course not in the presence of other friends or family that don't understand the said language ... that'd just be rude otherwise. I am sure you realize that as well.

So, do you research, ask your questions, identify the stupid answers (of which I see there are many) and ignore them but most importantly please do feel welcome to this great state and wonderful city of ours!

Old 11-05-2017, 09:28 PM

7 posts, read 5,815 times
Thanks so much for the validation, feedback and warmth WhatTheFox. And for the back-up JohnKneedep

Old 11-06-2017, 09:46 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,191 times
40% of Austin is Hispanic

Old 11-06-2017, 09:59 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
40% of Austin is Hispanic
Depending on what you mean by "Austin" and "Hispanic", that might be accurate; but how is it relevant to the discussion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin