Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 09:45 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,932 times

Advertisements

We are in Georgetown north of Austin. We have no landline. We travel A LOT around Texas, throughout the Austin area and out of state. We had AT&T and had problems with billing. The coverage was generally okay, good on the highways and cities, spotty in rural areas. Sprint didn’t work for us; too many dead spots. We switched to Verizon, and we have had no problems except in some areas between Goldthwaite and Brownwood, TX. For whatever reason, AT&T has better coverage there. So, I would say the Verizon or AT&T network would work well for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 07:12 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,799 times
My husband is with AT&T, and I'm with Sprint. He ALWAYS has better reception. The only reason why I stick with Sprint is for their international coverage. They have AT&T beat when it comes to options when we travel to Japan.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:14 AM
gdu

256 posts, read 699,849 times
Our company did a city-wide test (but was primarily concerned wit reception around the capital) and found verizon to be the best. I was on Sprint for 18 years before switching to verizon and the reception has definitely improved for me.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:54 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,622,556 times
I have AT&T. I can't complain about their service. I never had any problems. They send me a text message when my bill is ready and I can pay my bill simply by pressing "1" and hit "send". I wish paying all my bills was that simple to do.

Ever since I bought a Samsung Galaxy S8 Note, I've been getting more ads on this phone than any other phone I've ever had. They are very annoying and very intrusive. Some ads take up an entire page and I have to wait 5 seconds until I can click an "x" and make the ad disappear.

I don't know if it's because of this new advanced smart phone or because of AT&T, or if it's because of something I unintentionally did to have all these ads on the phone. But whatever the case, this Samsung Galaxy S8 Note has become my least favorite of all 4 smart phones I've ever owned. I got them all thru AT&T, but the others didn't have the ad problem that this one does.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:56 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I have AT&T. I can't complain about their service. I never had any problems. They send me a text when my bill is ready and I can pay my bill simply by pressing "1" and hit "send". I wish paying all my bills was that easy.

Ever since I bought a Samsung Galaxy S8 Note, I've been getting more ads on this phone than any other phone I've ever had. They are very annoying and very intrusive. Some ads I have to wait 5 seconds until I can click an "x" and make the ad disappear.

I don't know if it's because of this new advanced smart phone or because of AT&T, or if it's something I unintentionally did to have all these ads on the phone. But whatever the case, this Samsung Galaxy S8 Note has become my least favorite of all 4 smart phones I've ever owned. I got them all thru AT&T, but the others didn't have the ad problem.
Those ads are generally associated with some app that has been installed (not the phone or provider). Sometimes hard to figure out which one, though. They are more pervasive in non-iPhones.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:50 PM

319 posts, read 346,491 times
The best answer to your question is don't get a new contract. Keep your old one. Then, if you find Sprint here doesn't give you the coverage you need, switch. It's really easy to keep your old service. Just keep your address, but change your billing address. You can do this forever. And it turns out there is a huge advantage to having an out of state number. All the spammers spoofing their number to match your area code and prefix will be obvious. Any call from "there" not in your contacts is SPAM. Calls from your new local area are likely OK.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:02 PM

319 posts, read 346,491 times
For ads on the Iphone, they are almost all done in javascript. I turn off javascript and rarely see an ad. To do that, settings/safari/advanced(at very bottom). I assume Android has a similar setting. Every once in a great while, some app needs js to work. Enable it then, and turn it off later.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:20 PM

283 posts, read 255,557 times
We switched from Sprint to Verizon about 4 years ago. I can't say I noticed that much of a difference within the city, maybe a tad better coverage with Verizon, but Verizon has been light years better in small towns and rural areas. Of course it's possible Sprint has improved their coverage during that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin