Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 12:46 PM

535 posts, read 1,296,020 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever taken the Amtrack from out of Austin to anywhere? Like in a vacation kind of way? Tell me your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 01:43 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
My husband and I have taken Amtrak to Dallas a few times for a weekend jaunt and we love it. It leaves Austin around 9:30-ish in the morning and gets to Dallas around 3:30-ish. We always book a roomette, which includes your meals in the diner car plus a nice private little nook for you to enjoy the trip in. When we board we go straight to the diner car and enjoy a nice breakfast, then spend the day staring out the window or reading or snoozing in our roomette. We go back to the diner around 1-2 and enjoy a nice lunch and have a cocktail before we arrive. We like to walk to the Omni which is just a few short minutes away and stay. They have a seriously awesome rooftop pool with a stunning view of DT Dallas. The train departs Dallas for Austin every day around noon, and gets back into Austin around 6 pm. We also book a roomette for the ride home, and enjoy a nice lunch and then usually a steak dinner with some red wine before arrival. Amtrak really cooks a great steak! Totally worth the cost of the roomette ticket. The scenery is lovely. It's a really fun trip.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:48 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Dang, you almost make going to Dallas sound fun!

Old 06-01-2018, 01:53 PM

It's really fun! The Omni is right in front of Pioneer Plaza, which has a great old cemetery plus beautiful old west sculptures. You can walk from there to Dealey Plaza and visit the JFK Sixth Floor Museum too, which is pretty cool.

That pool though ... holy crap is that pool fun. It's a huge party every night. Plus, the Omni lights up the building with thousands of LED lights in a really cool lightshow. It feels very Vegas, sitting in that pool with a cocktail with all those lights and the beautiful Dallas skyscrapers all lit up at night.

I want to go back now. lol.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:48 PM

71 posts, read 167,900 times
how about Austin to West Coast? Is this some worth doing this as a sight seeing vacation?

Old 06-01-2018, 05:15 PM

230 posts, read 545,067 times
When I was a kid I used to take it from Austin to East Texas. It took forever but was fun when I was young and travelled alone.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:08 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
I have taken the Texas Eagle from Austin to St Louis, takes roughly 24 hours. Slow going between Austin and Dallas but it gets much faster after that. I loved it. I had two preschoolers at the time, they loved it too. Big seats, lots of headroom, great views -- very different from what you see on the highway, who knew so much sourgum was grown in TX? It was easy to sleep on the train.

Freight traffic takes precedence over Amtrak, so there can be lots of waiting. Bring books, chargers, ipads. Also bring food, how much is available can vary widely.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:47 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
It's really fun! The Omni is right in front of Pioneer Plaza, which has a great old cemetery plus beautiful old west sculptures. You can walk from there to Dealey Plaza and visit the JFK Sixth Floor Museum too, which is pretty cool.

That pool though ... holy crap is that pool fun. It's a huge party every night. Plus, the Omni lights up the building with thousands of LED lights in a really cool lightshow. It feels very Vegas, sitting in that pool with a cocktail with all those lights and the beautiful Dallas skyscrapers all lit up at night.

I want to go back now. lol.

I had read your post last year and we decided to do it, it was a fun time and thank you!

We have a 3 year old and he was able to run around. We ate lunch on the train and the staff was nice. Parked in the Amtrak lot next to Whole Foods and everything was ok with our car when we returned. Stayed at the Omni as recommended and even "joined" into a large Indian wedding - everyone was basically invited.

The train is worth trying at least once and we'll do it again. The only drawback is travel time which I think was about 8 hours. Last weekend we went again but decided to drive. Went to LegoLand and the ritzy mall, two things not here. Stayed at the Omni of course, and yes the pool is a big party and plenty fun, day and night. Even with a toddler.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:35 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,931 times
Not too long ago, some friends took Amtrak from Dallas down to SA and then over to Alpine. They were unhappy about it, but didn't give details on why. But ... I imagine it would have to do with long delays along the way. If the trip were snappy, I think it would be fun. Or, at least if they offered good food and bar service, it would help.

I considered taking Amtrak Dallas-Austin a couple of years ago, but the Von Lane bus was faster and adequately comfortable. And cheaper, IIRC.

Oh, and on that trip, I stayed at the Omni in downtown Dallas. A nice hotel, but I recommend avoiding getting a room on the side that faces SW (I think) toward the massive freeways. Kinda noisy.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:54 PM

There's a really long delay I believe between when the train arrives in San Antonio, and when it leaves heading west. I think anyone heading west on the Texas Eagle is better advised to just grab it from San Antonio rather than Austin unless you don't mind sleeping on the train overnight while it's in the station. I think they add additional cars to it while it's there, too.

We almost accidentally booked at the downtown Omni the first time we went. Yikes! That would have been a long walk from the station. The other Omni is attached to the conference center, a very short 5 minute walk from the station.

Our next run will be on the Texas Eagle from Austin to Chicago for a few days to catch a Cubs game and explore the city. Definitely a trip for mid-summer when the days are long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin