Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 08:15 PM

10 posts, read 13,388 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We currently live in Seattle and might move to Austin before end of year. I have an 8yo son and 3 yo daughter. I am looking for information regarding if any public schools in Austin provide a full time GT program in elementary. Also, I am looking for good GT private schools. Any info is appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 09:24 PM

743 posts, read 1,371,094 times
As far as I know, none of the public schools have a full-time gifted program. More often, it's a pull-out class for part of the day- some are 1/x day, others less frequent, varies a lot by district and funding.

Ace Academy is a private school focused on the education of gifted children. Reviews have been mixed, with some families quite happy and others leaving the school within a year or two. Search this forum and online for more specifics about why. Last I checked, Ace was not accredited, but that may have changed.

Some private schools here attract a fair amount of gifted students, but aren't exclusively targeted at gifted education. Some of my friends with gifted students have sought out enrichment and targeted programs outside of school (for example The Davidson Institute). Giftedness can also be accompanied by other issues ("2e" kids) who need support, so there's no one-size-fits-all option that works for every family.

Last edited by blakely; 05-31-2018 at 09:53 PM..

Old 05-31-2018, 09:52 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Look into some of the magnet programs within Austin ISD to include Kealing's Fine Arts Academy, Anne Richards Young Women's Academy (for your littlest), Fulmore's Humanities and Law Magnet and the Liberal Arts and Science Academy (LASA). As blakely said, there is not a one stop school for "gifted" students. There are plenty of gifted kiddos in Austin, though.

Find out where the job is, what your budget is , what is important to you in a home, etc and then you can get down to searching for the right schools for your kids. All these schools are open to Austin ISD students pending acceptance into the program.

(Crossing my fingers that this isn't a drive by poster).

Old 05-31-2018, 10:32 PM

Thanks everyone, your responses are very useful.
I am researching every aspect as you have mentioned. My kid cannot get into DYS due to the residency requirement though he has qualifying scores. He does receive support from other organizations that do not look for this requirement. I was thinking the magnet programs are only for middle schoolers. I will check on those that you have pointed out. Like you all say, there is definitely not-one-size-fits-all. Totally agree. My kid is PG and goes to a full time GT program here. So, just concerned that he should not be underchallenged or feel bored in the new setting.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:37 PM

I will check on Ace academy. Please also provide your feedback on Joule school at Cedar park.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:49 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
If your kiddo does well in pull out GT classes in elementary then he’ll be a shoe—in for the middle school magnets.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:32 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnamoorthy.gayathri View Post
Hello,
We currently live in Seattle and might move to Austin before end of year. I have an 8yo son and 3 yo daughter. I am looking for information regarding if any public schools in Austin provide a full time GT program in elementary. Also, I am looking for good GT private schools. Any info is appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Laurel mountain is effectively a school for gifted and talented. Or at least parents that push their kids really hard.

The population is about 60% asian, entering kindergarten most kids are reading and can do math. In our year there were kids that could write full paragraphs and do long division.

They use a tracking method for math and divide the kids into about 4 or 5 groups based on skill level. The levels are broken into blocks so a kid could be at the top level in one block and a middle level in another block.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:47 AM

390 posts, read 670,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
If your kiddo does well in pull out GT classes in elementary then he’ll be a shoe—in for the middle school magnets.
Not necessarily true at all. First, our top rated AISD elementary doesn't even do GT pull out. It's customized curriculum and grouping within the classroom. Also, there are A LOT of kids with the GT label that don't get accepted into the magnet programs, and kids whose parents didn't see the point of the GT label whose kids do get in.

Kealing (which is not a Fine Arts Academy as indicated above, but rather an academic advanced magnet) had close to 3x as many students apply to the program than they could take. They do not look at GT status at all in the application process (which is good imho since that is really a parent driven process). It's based on grades, test scores, essays, and teacher recommendation. Also, the top 50% admitted are admitted on admission rubric scores only. The other 50% of the spots are divided proportionally to the different middle school tracks around the district. This change has happened in the last couple of years. Previously, there were a handful of highly rated AISD elementary schools that sent a large proportion of kids to the magnets, but that has changed with the changes in the admissions policy. Definitely don't assume that if you have a GT student doing well that he or she will get into a magnet because you might be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:13 PM

Thanks for all your inputs...very useful.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:50 PM

60 posts, read 66,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Laurel mountain is effectively a school for gifted and talented.
No, it isn't at all. It's a school in a community that values education, with well-educated & successful parents, but the kids' ability levels range all over the place. I taught there for several years, and found that performance was generally higher there than at other schools I'd taught at. It's a very good school for the non-special education population, and a pleasant place that values enrichment, but it is far from being a gifted and talented program for all. The gifted and talented kids are pulled out of class for special classes, and are at a different level from the others. (And the TAG program there is very hard to get into.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin