Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 06:50 PM

772 posts, read 1,143,067 times

Advertisements

Hello. I asked this question in the Houston forum. Someone recommended that I come over here for info regarding Austin because no one over there seems to have any.

A Venezuelan woman is moving to the United States with her son, a 14-year-old who is set to enroll in high school. She is looking for (1) good schools, (2) strong job market, and (3) safety. I think affordability will also be a factor. I don't know what she does exactly, but I don't think she has any specialized job skills. They will likely be renting (apartment or house). She plans to stay at least until the son graduates.

Given these criteria, what's your sense on which one of these places would be the best fit? I know it's a broad question, but please do your best.

My concern about Houston and Austin is that, if you live in the city proper, your kids will presumably have to attend the city school system. My guess is that the schools there generally aren't as good as they are in the suburbs. I don't think her son is an advanced student or anything, so enrolling in a magnet school or attending an elite private school is likely out.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 09:57 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Any of those would work when only looking at schools/jobs/safety, but it comes down to affordability. Sugarland and Katy would top the list, most likely, if you have 'normal' budget limits. The nicer area of Houston will have good schools, but also be expensive.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:19 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,931 times
I only have a knee-jerk reaction, but perhaps it will elicit some discussion. The Houston suburb of Katy is sometimes referred to as "Katyzuela". Apparently, it does have a significant population of people from various countries, including some in Latin America. My neighbors from Argentina are moving there now that they are starting a family. I understand that the schools there are good.

My impression is that Cinco Ranch, south of I-10 and west of SH-99 is a good area. Also, that part did not flood during Harvey, unlike the areas east of SH-99.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:57 AM

71 posts, read 56,281 times
Given what you said about her, in Austin she wouldn't be able to afford to live in Austin proper most likely, so would have to be in the suburbs. I speak as someone who lived for 30 years in Houston, and now 6 here in Austin. I would never, ever willingly live in Houston again. I hate it. My parents/sibblings/children/grandchildren live there so I visit frequently, and every time I go back it reminds me of the fact that I would never choose to live there. By contrast I love Austin (other than the weather).

That being said, I don't think that Austin is a good fit for someone like you mention. I would look to Houston, and possibly Katy or Sugarland as good spots.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:24 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Katy, then Sugarland, then Houston, then Austin! In that order. It is all about affordability

Old 08-06-2018, 08:40 AM

71 posts, read 56,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Katy, then Sugarland, then Houston, then Austin! In that order. It is all about affordability
Not just affordability, but entry into the job market as someone who seems to be described essentially as an unskilled worker.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:02 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Austin schools are fine. Assuming that just because you’re in town that the schools are urban dumps for lower income families is incorrect. AISD had one of the highest ranked schools in the country with LASA.

With that said, Austin is going to be a hard place to navigate based on affordability and job search. To discuss the “unskilled” job market us tough. By unskilled do you mean she can use a computer or unskilled as in she would be cleaning houses or working in a restaurant? There’s a lot of unknowns. And transportation. Is she going to have a car? Even if she decides on the “better” schools if the suburbs she’ll orobably be driving to get into town.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Austin schools are fine. Assuming that just because you’re in town that the schools are urban dumps for lower income families is incorrect. AISD had one of the highest ranked schools in the country with LASA.

With that said, Austin is going to be a hard place to navigate based on affordability and job search. To discuss the “unskilled” job market us tough. By unskilled do you mean she can use a computer or unskilled as in she would be cleaning houses or working in a restaurant? There’s a lot of unknowns. And transportation. Is she going to have a car? Even if she decides on the “better” schools if the suburbs she’ll orobably be driving to get into town.

She'll have a car. She can use a computer, but she doesn't seem particularly well-educated. Also, she hardly speaks English right now. So, yes, that's pretty unskilled.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:51 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,580,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
She'll have a car. She can use a computer, but she doesn't seem particularly well-educated. Also, she hardly speaks English right now. So, yes, that's pretty unskilled.
You’re either insanely tone deaf, or trolling.

None of those areas will be in the realm of affordable on what will likely be a minimum wage, multiple job, scenario.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
You’re either insanely tone deaf, or trolling.

None of those areas will be in the realm of affordable on what will likely be a minimum wage, multiple job, scenario.

This woman has "connections." She has other ways of getting money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin