Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:16 PM

22 posts, read 91,616 times

Advertisements

FYI, local LA folks refer to "June Gloom".

Average weather pattern -- at least by the beach cities -- has frequent overcast skies in June. I lived there for 20 years, and would have to agree with the general pattern.

I2D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 07:31 PM

324 posts, read 1,311,960 times
there isn't anywhere as fun/interesting/fascinating/vibrant in the good old usa like nyc.......just people watching everywhere you go, the subway, the streets, central park......
you can also grab food in deli's and hit a park for a relatively cheap meal. in my humble opinion you are geographically stunted if you haven't been to the the city!!!

Old 04-03-2008, 07:35 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I've never actually stayed anywhere that you would have to share a bathroom. But, I can't imagine getting up in the middle of the night and, what? Walk down the hallway to the bathroom? And where would all my beauty products go!? And what if I (or, worse, someone ELSE) had "bathroom issues?" I also get up at the very last second than I have to and jump in the shower. What if someone was already in there? And what if someone was banging on the door while I was showering? What if it was a creepy man who tried to get in?

These are the things that go through my head whilst thinking about a shared bathroom.

As for the grilled cheese, I was with my mom & sister who made me walk A REALLY LONG WAY disagreeing where to go. And finally we all agreed on this place without looking at the menu first. And by that time we were seated and tired. The tomatoes I had put in the sandwich cost an extra $1.50. I only ate half the sandwich, too, and washed it down with $5 tea!

Oddly enough, the indian restaurant right next to our hotel was pretty inexpensive and good. And during my trip, I had two of the greatest bagels I think I have ever eaten. I'd forgotten that it could be like that. I would have GLADLY have paid $16 for those bagels (I didn't pay for them, but I don't think they were). I want to go back just so I can eat bagels all day.

HA! Well, there's no doubt that the shared bath has it's shortcomings but overall, we've never had a problem. All of the rooms I've ever stayed had a pedestal sink and mirror, where you could shave, brush teeth and do hair etc...This is the crucial element!

Yea, the bagels on the East Coast and up north are very refined. It's the equivalent of a breakfast taco here...ubiquitous and varied. Of course, neither of these things are good for my waistline struggles

Old 04-03-2008, 07:35 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,827 times
There's no city in the world like NYC. I'd pick that city any day hands down. The vibe, culture, people, and food are addicting.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:57 AM

15 posts, read 39,563 times
Thanks a bunch! We have been leaning toward NYC

Old 04-04-2008, 06:10 AM

15 posts, read 39,563 times
I have not made it through all of the posts but NYC is sounding better and better!

Old 04-05-2008, 03:27 PM

106 posts, read 391,838 times
New York <3

It's the single most amazing city in the USA...and the best for a short vacation.

I used to live 2 hours from it, and spent a lot of time there. The touristy areas are fun if you've never been to NYC, but there's much more fun to be had aside from the standard New Yorkish things.

Take the train-A taxi ride in NYC can be exciting, but it gets pricey very quickly. You can buy a day long subway pass for $7, and get everywhere in the city without the hassle of traffic.
Spring St.-If you're coming from the Port Authority area, you'll want to get on the Blue line (I think it's E) and go to the Spring St. exit. There are tiny bistros and sandwich shops lining this street. Every Sunday, there's a market and you'll be able to haggle with the best of 'em. Washington Square Park is adjacent to Spring St. and there's always live music. If it's warm, you can wade in the fountain.
The Korova Milk Bar-This was closed last time I was there, but was moving and should be relocated now. If you enjoy A Clockwork Orange, it's a site to see.
The East Village-Entertain some drink on a patio and people watch. It's one of my favorite areas to people watch, if you're into that sort of thing.
The Mars 2112- Fun times if you're traveling with kids. It's a theme restaurant. Kind of pricey (but what isn't in the city.)

Old 04-06-2008, 09:26 AM

607 posts, read 923,085 times
NYC is far more fun than LA. I have been to NYC about 10 times and LA once. There is just so much more to do in NYC and the city's structure is conducive to touristing (easy public transit). I did not like LA much at all. It felt very fake and overpopulated, and way overrated. NYC has old school charm, and does it really get any better than Broadway and the MoMa? LA only wins on weather and celebrity-watching, and probably cost.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:38 PM

701 posts, read 2,482,822 times
I've never been to NY so I'd pick it on that basis alone.

LA is fun, but it depends on what you're in to. Again, there's a lot of driving to get around to the different things to see. Most of the touristy stuff isn't in LA proper. I also second the June gloom. There's a lot of it and it's not limited to that month! Things do clear up a little bit past midday though.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:39 PM

108 posts, read 271,545 times
I lived in Southern Cali for quite a few years and Austin reminds of it a lot (Austin is better though). If you want something completely different then I would say try NY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin