Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 09:47 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times

Advertisements

So my mom would literally cut off her legs to see her. What a great Christmas present! The day it was announced, I registered as a "fan" to get access to presale tickets. I was wait-listed. Never got off the wait list, so no presale for me.

Tickets officially went on sale this morning at 10:00. I logged on at 9:30 and was put in a virtual waiting room. I was granted access at 10:01. Tickets already sold out. Oh, but Vivid Tickets had hundreds available for sale at 10:05, starting at 10 times the face value.

This pisses me off so much. No way for regular people to get tickets to these events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 09:51 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,580,958 times
Yeah. The bots and ticket farms out there snatch all these things.

Prices will adjust slightly, but if you know anyone in the hospitality industry you might be able to weasel something at 2x face.

ETA:

You can get them for $175 off stubhub for Monday the 17th in Dallas...

Parking passes alone are going for $75 in Portland.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:54 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,559,521 times
Interesting! One of the VERY first threads I came across when we were moving here over a decade ago:

Hanna Montana tickets were SOLD OUT in minutes!!!!!! People were livid!!! I had no idea who she was.

The more things change, the more they stay the same

Old 12-15-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Interesting! One of the VERY first threads I came across when we were moving here over a decade ago:

Hanna Montana tickets were SOLD OUT in minutes!!!!!! People were livid!!! I had no idea who she was.

The more things change, the more they stay the same
This tour sold out nationwide within minutes.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:08 AM

My brother and I are still wanting to get tickets for her for Christmas. Cheapest resale I can find is $206. And those are tickets with an original face value of $29. One resale site is boasting, "Only 589 tickets left!" So, yeah, basically every ticket was bought by scalpers using bots to buy them up. Even the presale, which was designed to prevent this. We're going to wait to see how much they start showing up on Stub Hub for (none available there yet). Dallas and Houston would be kind of hard for her to get to. She may be able to do Houston, but those prices are about the same. BTW, I heard the Houston show sold out in 3 minutes. There's got to be a way to stop the bots from buying up all the tickets.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
My brother and I are still wanting to get tickets for her for Christmas. Cheapest resale I can find is $206. And those are tickets with an original face value of $29. One resale site is boasting, "Only 589 tickets left!" So, yeah, basically every ticket was bought by scalpers using bots to buy them up. Even the presale, which was designed to prevent this. We're going to wait to see how much they start showing up on Stub Hub for (none available there yet). Dallas and Houston would be kind of hard for her to get to. She may be able to do Houston, but those prices are about the same. BTW, I heard the Houston show sold out in 3 minutes. There's got to be a way to stop the bots from buying up all the tickets.
A lot of them are ticket farms. Every step taken to require human interaction in the event can be overridden by prospectors.

The only way to do it is go old school and require in person ticket sales.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:21 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,061,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
A lot of them are ticket farms. Every step taken to require human interaction in the event can be overridden by prospectors.

The only way to do it is go old school and require in person ticket sales.
Even then, back in the 1970s/80s and probably before, my friends and I would stand in lines to buy concert tickets for a reseller. Seems like technology would have a solution to this that can't be defeated by bots.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Even then, back in the 1970s/80s and probably before, my friends and I would stand in lines to buy concert tickets for a reseller. Seems like technology would have a solution to this that can't be defeated by bots.
Maybe Aaron has it right. No pre-sales, gotta get in line, no guarantees.

Think of the line parties! It’d be like ancient days of album releases.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:51 AM

I remember sleeping overnight outside waiting to by U2 tickets back in the late 80's. There were people who were paid by scalpers to wait in line, but not thousands of them. Just wouldn't be cost effective. I lived in Pennsylvania back then, and ticket scalping was also illegal. And the internet didn't exist. So reselling tickets wasn't as easy. Now brokers set up bots to literally buy thousands of tickets at once and then freely sell them online.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I remember sleeping overnight outside waiting to by U2 tickets back in the late 80's. There were people who were paid by scalpers to wait in line, but not thousands of them. Just wouldn't be cost effective. I lived in Pennsylvania back then, and ticket scalping was also illegal. And the internet didn't exist. So reselling tickets wasn't as easy. Now brokers set up bots to literally buy thousands of tickets at once and then freely sell them online.
Exactly. Even with the internet, they wouldn’t be able to do what they can do today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin