Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 07:02 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times

Advertisements

Just returned from a week in California, where I had a rental car and drove a lot. I noticed while there in San Diego two things:

1) The uniformity and consistency of the road markings, intersections, signs, and general design and layout of roads is vastly superior to the disjointed, inconsistent and poorly thought out roads we drive on in Austin. I grew up in California and forgot how completely sensible and practical cloverleaf intersections are.

2) Upon returning, I also realized how bumby almost all the roads in Austin feel compared to those in San Diego.

I'm not for turning Austin into another California, but if that were to happen, I'll take the road system for sure over the mess we have. Has anyone else noticed this?

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 07:51 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
I think part of the reason is the weather in California. Here you have extreme heat, rain, freezing weather, & ice storms. This leads to severe buckling of the roads.

I would have to say that the metering lights in California are a good idea and I wish we had it here. Dallas and Houston have it in places but nowhere as consistently. Trying to merge onto I-35 at rush hour is problematic, the metering lights would solve it.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:55 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
the metering lights would solve it.
You really think anyone would pay attention to those lights anymore than the regular stop lights?

Old 10-24-2018, 11:05 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Just returned from a week in California, where I had a rental car and drove a lot. I noticed while there in San Diego two things:

1) The uniformity and consistency of the road markings, intersections, signs, and general design and layout of roads is vastly superior to the disjointed, inconsistent and poorly thought out roads we drive on in Austin. I grew up in California and forgot how completely sensible and practical cloverleaf intersections are.

2) Upon returning, I also realized how bumby almost all the roads in Austin feel compared to those in San Diego.

I'm not for turning Austin into another California, but if that were to happen, I'll take the road system for sure over the mess we have. Has anyone else noticed this?

Steve

When I moved to Austin in 1969, one of the things I noticed was how much sense the road layout made. It was EASY for someone from out of town to find their way around. Then the Austin Monster started growing and engulfing everything in its path, including nearby small towns that had their own reasonable road systems (this is how 290/Koenig/Allandale/Northland/2222 came to be), and we ended up with what we have today.

If you've watched this all happen and watched the roads being built, it all makes perfect sense. It's organic rather than plastic. Helps if you look at it that way.

As for the condition of the roads, that has decreased, it seems to me. Used to be that Texas had the best roads in the country. Not that long ago, either. Not sure what happened.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:15 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Not sure what happened.
They stopped funding the road budget because the gas tax (an absolute number, not a percentage) has not changed since 1991.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I think part of the reason is the weather in California. Here you have extreme heat, rain, freezing weather, & ice storms. This leads to severe buckling of the roads.

I would have to say that the metering lights in California are a good idea and I wish we had it here. Dallas and Houston have it in places but nowhere as consistently. Trying to merge onto I-35 at rush hour is problematic, the metering lights would solve it.
That makes sense, about the heat and cold. The metering was interesting too.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:54 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
They stopped funding the road budget because the gas tax (an absolute number, not a percentage) has not changed since 1991.
And our state legislators have been diverting about 30% of said gas tax revenue away from road projects & maintenance for decades. Same on the federal level.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:19 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

Steve
I haven't noticed roads in Austin roads being bumpy. For the most part, the streets seem pretty smooth to me. I haven't noticed any streets in such a state of disrepair or negligence that they need to be reported to the city.

Which streets are you talking about.?

Old 10-25-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I haven't noticed roads in Austin roads being bumpy. For the most part, the streets seem pretty smooth to me. I haven't noticed any streets in such a state of disrepair or negligence that they need to be reported to the city.

Which streets are you talking about.?
From the airport west on 71, 290, to Mopac, and in my neighborhood in SW Austin. Also up and down Lamar. Pretty much everywhere. I wouldn't have noticed either without the reference point of riding on smoother roads then returning. Sort of like when you visit Colorado and return and notice how ugly Austin is, how trashy our roads and streets look as well.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:43 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
I always thought the roads here were fine, but my reference point is Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin