Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 11:43 AM

181 posts, read 159,825 times

Advertisements

I just read that Mayor Adler is headed west to “see first hand how cities in the west are handling the homeless epidemic”. Does anyone else think this is somewhat nonsensical? We have a city and state that people are pouring into to get away from their situations back home, and he decides to go learn from the cities who’s policies created these problems? What’s even more rich, is that he’s going to go see how these cities are handling the problem, and yet these western cities haven’t been able to address the problem. In fact, they are getting worse.

So, isn’t it non-progressive to head to places that are not progressing to get advice on how to solve a problem for which they do not have adequate solutions. How about not looking west for answers, and maybe trying to figure out more innovative solutions that are out of the groupthink box. Perhaps we should do the opposite of what they are doing since clearly their policies are failing.

Anyway, just doesn’t make sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 12:04 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,349,576 times
I think you are correct, but your Mayor doesn’t have a problem spending your tax money on nonsensical & frivolous things.... like traveling to LA to pick up more failed “ideas”. Hopefully he will take some of the city-paid “artists” along to draw some pictures of the massive homeless camps that are proliferating the major cities of the left coast.

Old 07-09-2019, 01:12 PM

589 posts, read 300,281 times
But why you ask?

Because we have an idiotic Liberal members in City Counsel and Mayor as leadership, or the lack thereof, in this city. Obviously, he has no interest in serving the best interest of the taxpayers in the city rather to the Illegals and how to destroy a city.

While I don't think homelessness is a crime and agree that it shouldn't be a crime, this new policy and where he is looking for solutions clearly shows that they are completely clueless and don't have the best interest to local taxpayers.

I concur, why would you waste taxpayer's dollars to go to a place where the situation is even worse then here? There just isn't any common sense to his actions.

Old 07-09-2019, 01:28 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,704,520 times
My understanding was that he went to LA and Seattle initially for infrastructure reasons and then added on the homelessness issues. KXAN reportes that Seatle’s Population is less then ours but they have 6x as many homeless people and LA had a total of 50kz so, I think it’s worth at least touching base to see how cities with larger issues then ours are handling the issue. If I recall correctly, based on the last Point in atine census (done every year in Hanuary/February) I believe our homeless population was close to 1500.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:08 PM

It is obvious from here and listening to the residents of those cities that their politicians’ policies are ineffective and are exacerbating the problem. Instead, go to cities where they seem to be more competent in dealing with their homeless.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:09 PM

319 posts, read 346,450 times
It's interesting that the Statesman paper has not reported Adler's trip, including online.

I only was aware because of a cable news story.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:58 AM

1,781 posts, read 956,801 times
He’s probably going there to hand out hand written invitations for the homeless in those cities to move to Austin. Hope he doesn’t contract typhoid fever.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:16 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
I think it's good to see poor examples as well as good examples when you're gathering data.

He just has to go down the road to San Antonio to see a good example, LA and Seattle can be cross referenced as examples of other solutions that may or may not be working (depending on who you ask).

Old 07-11-2019, 08:55 AM

First, ask the citizens who have to put up with the filth.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:28 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,579,521 times
The policies of the cities out West didn't create the homelessness problems they face. Mild climates and one-way bus tickets from the parts of the country with depressed economies and/or vengeful cultures did, and the tech boom is exacerbating it. Considering all of those factors converge in Austin as well, it's at least worth taking a look
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin