Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 05:17 PM

27 posts, read 111,805 times

Advertisements

I am doing a lot of reading thoughout these postings, like many others here, I am moving to Austin and trying to figure out the best place to live. I am seeing nothing about neighborhoods East of Austin.......can someone offer advice to living east of the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 05:29 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
The subdivisions east of Austin are a mixed bag. Some very good, others not so much. The price points of the homes are a sure sign of which is which. There are many more low budget neighborhoods to the east than there are to the west. This is not a bad thing, as even the worst of these neighborhoods is not something to fear for your life in...so to speak, but they just have a lower resale and appreciation rate.

There are also fewer of the high end subdivisions to the east and those that exist are relatively more affordable for the features received than the west side neighborhoods.

I personally chose the east side, but did not build in a subdivision. My choice to be in county and amongst acreage neighbors was a personal thing and not for everyone. Most people like living where they can watch their neighbors windows without having to resort to a telescope.

I think the further toward Bastrop you get the better the neighborhoods are, generally. Perhaps someone with firsthand experience with the subdivision life style can give you a more specific breakdown of anyplace to avoid. For me, I like it here. Cheaper with more freedom than the west side of Austin.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:53 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Do you mean East Austin or the towns in general to the East of Austin. We also ended up East of Austin, in Hutto. We mainly did this to be close to my sister who's lived here since it was a one stop light town. Pretty much agree with the post above as far as it's more reasonable this direction. We do live in a subdivision however, and like it just fine. We have great neighbors, parties, a pool, a little park and a little bigger park close by.

A few of the high end subdivisions here are Paloma Lakes, TeraVista, and a few around Old Settlers Park. Also Forest Creek and Star Ranch, to name a few more. These by no means are the only really good ones. Plus, you do get the same amentities for less, like golf courses, clubhouses, community events, schools in the neighborhoods, walking and biking trails, etc...There's a push to get ACC over near TeraVista...Saw the signs for it yesterday. Also A&M, and the TSU (RR higher education center) and a new hospital.

Like the above poster also says, you can buy property here not in a subdivision or HOA. There's still lots of it around where I live. And contrary to what some say, it is not flat as a board here (like Kansas flat). Yes, it's different topography with less limestone rock everywhere, but it's got areas with nice rolling, green hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: