Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 06:15 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,850 times

Advertisements

In looking at houses we haven't specified pool or no pool. I think for the Austin summers that it's a "nice to have" but you can live without it. I grew up in Florida and got stuck cleaning our pool every Saturday morning. I'd prefer not to get stuck dealing with that ever again. I guess I could always get a cute pool boy... but I digress... Are the community pools enough? Should we look at getting a house with a pool? Is it horribly expensive to have a pool put in if we get a house with a big lot? What are the pros/cons?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 06:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
the property manager said anybody he works for thats got one he tells em to bulldoz it in, lawsuit waitin to happen.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
the property manager said anybody he works for thats got one he tells em to bulldoz it in, lawsuit waitin to happen.
Good point. Plus I have a toddler -- and the thought of her escaping unseen is pretty terrifying.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Get one of those above ground pools that can be taken down at the end of each summer and stored in the garage. Then you're only cleaning the pool "most" of the year

You can probably swim from May-ish thru mid October if the weather holds out which is about 1/2 the year.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Get one of those above ground pools that can be taken down at the end of each summer and stored in the garage. Then you're only cleaning the pool "most" of the year

You can probably swim from May-ish thru mid October if the weather holds out which is about 1/2 the year.
My husband is pretty slack -- I can't see me dealing with dismantling one of those suckers. Guess the ole plastic kiddie pool will do!

Old 11-16-2007, 06:40 PM

701 posts, read 2,483,202 times
The other thing to think about is the cost. From what I've read here in the past, the cost to install in Austin tends to be high because of the digging. The topsoil isn't very deep; after that it's a lot of carving out of limestone.

I live in Circle C and someone whose home is off La Crosse has had a crew working on a pool since before we moved in. Our neighbor, who has lived here a while (well...a year is a while around here) said that the work started last summer. As in 2006. Not sure what is up, but the guy's wall was dismantled for a while.

You can look into neighborhoods with community pools. There is one in Circle C, one in Western Oaks (I think that's the area, the pool is Dick Nichols and it's free I think). An additional one will be built in Circle C but not sure of the ETA.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:52 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,618,273 times
I would never get into a community pool. You be amazed on the sick crap that is in them. Being a pool owner, now I know its clean and safe. Going into a community pool or public pool and if a kid that has diarrhea or just got done...... augggg... I want to barf!!

Here:

Fecal Accident Response Recommendations | CDC Healthy Swimming

Pediatric Advisor 2006.2: Swimming Safety: Preventing Diarrhea from Contaminated Water (http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/pa/pa_poolsafe_hhg.htm - broken link)

Last edited by Mike78613; 11-16-2007 at 09:28 PM..

Old 11-16-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisch View Post
The other thing to think about is the cost. From what I've read here in the past, the cost to install in Austin tends to be high because of the digging. The topsoil isn't very deep; after that it's a lot of carving out of limestone.

I live in Circle C and someone whose home is off La Crosse has had a crew working on a pool since before we moved in. Our neighbor, who has lived here a while (well...a year is a while around here) said that the work started last summer. As in 2006. Not sure what is up, but the guy's wall was dismantled for a while.

You can look into neighborhoods with community pools. There is one in Circle C, one in Western Oaks (I think that's the area, the pool is Dick Nichols and it's free I think). An additional one will be built in Circle C but not sure of the ETA.
Yes, rock excavation can be very expensive. It is a hit or miss and can add another 15K to your pool budget end cost if they the pool builders hit rock. Luckly @ my house it was a miss

My pool is only 2 years old. We plan to sale it on the market in Feb of 08 to move back North. So my home would be a great buy for people looking to get a pool and very upgraded home for the money

Old 11-16-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
Good point. Plus I have a toddler -- and the thought of her escaping unseen is pretty terrifying.
This is why SAFETY is 1st!! Inspectors will check to make sure your up to code. Alarm on doors is a plus. At the time when our pool was being built my daughter was 3 and she did fine. Wife was aware of her actions. It happens and a sad accident happened in Pflugerville last year and a little boy died. That sad to see that how irresponsible some parents are!!

Old 11-16-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
In looking at houses we haven't specified pool or no pool. I think for the Austin summers that it's a "nice to have" but you can live without it. I grew up in Florida and got stuck cleaning our pool every Saturday morning. I'd prefer not to get stuck dealing with that ever again. I guess I could always get a cute pool boy... but I digress... Are the community pools enough? Should we look at getting a house with a pool? Is it horribly expensive to have a pool put in if we get a house with a big lot? What are the pros/cons?

Thanks!

Every home in Austin need to have a pool. It should be standard

No but really, maintaining a pool is so easy. It was easy for me b/c I added a SWG / Salt Water Generator. Salt in pool (you add) will purify and cycle the cell on the salt water system to convert the salt to chlorine. BEST investment ever!! No more messing w/ chlorine or those crap tablets. Plus when I get out of the pool. I felt like getting out of a water softner tub!! Its the great, really is!! Don't let any pool builder tell you a chlorine system is better. Total BS!! Spend that extra 1200.00 or so on a SWG. You will never deal with chlorine ever again or have to hire a pool boy.

I mainly watch the PH and my SWG monitors the salt for chlorine. When its low, I look at the guage, I then grab my chart manual and it tells me how many pounds of salt to add.

To shock the pool I add 100% bleach. I only have to do this once a year. I do it when the pool starts to turn green. It happens b/c I am cheap and don't feel like running the pump 12 hrs a day. Worse part is 100% sun @ 100 degrees heat streaming down at your pool, then killing off the chlorine. Its normal, but I could not really careless. It happens , but happens way more often w/ chlorine system pools.
Life is perfect when owning a pool w/ SWG!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin