Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 03:17 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,580,191 times

Advertisements

Well, it would have been too easy for the State to just give an extra year to renew and apparently I missed the announcement that renewal was back to business-as-usual. As such, I'll probably have to jump through some extra hoops to finally get my license renewed.
Has anyone else waited past the drop-dead date for late renewals? I'm surprised that more wasn't said since(in loose theory) 1/10th of licensed Texans(couple million?) had their license(s) expire in the past year.
Dang
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 04:21 PM

5,872 posts, read 11,951,881 times
No but according to this, once you make an appointment you can request a temporary one until your appointment date. Sounds like maybe they’re not being too hard on folks who put it off.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/dr...19-information

Old 06-21-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
No but according to this, once you make an appointment you can request a temporary one until your appointment date. Sounds like maybe they’re not being too hard on folks who put it off.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/dr...19-information

Yes. So far, it looks easier than I thought. First page showed locations and number of days until the next available appointment. First location showed 7 days, second showed 3 days. I went to the second location signup page and there were 5 slots available TOMORROW! I reckon I'll be there!!! Glad I had previously hunted down my birth cert, passport and original SS card(now 52 years old!!).

Old 06-22-2021, 07:59 AM

5,872 posts, read 11,951,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Yes. So far, it looks easier than I thought. First page showed locations and number of days until the next available appointment. First location showed 7 days, second showed 3 days. I went to the second location signup page and there were 5 slots available TOMORROW! I reckon I'll be there!!! Glad I had previously hunted down my birth cert, passport and original SS card(now 52 years old!!).
Good luck. I had a birth certificate, passport and SS card and it was no problem. LOL on the original SS card - DH has his original from 1968 - we women get to update ours with name changes at least.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:29 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,003,504 times
I just went 2 weeks ago.. passport works. Made appointment.. Still waited 45 min.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:27 PM

Well, all went without a hitch today in Georgetown. Showed a little early for appt and filled out paperwork while waiting. Might have been 10 minutes after the scheduled time when they 'called' ; but my birth certificate was what they needed and I now shall await the receipt of my new DL! (Based on the pic on the temp license, I'm not going to like what I see!!!) Actually, I have facial hair for the first time in 27 years and first ever on a license; so we shall see!!
Very nice and helpful folks there, btw!!!

Old 06-23-2021, 01:51 PM

4,510 posts, read 4,641,193 times
I went last week to get my driver license, which I had misplaced. The DPS on I-35 and Wm Cannon was booked all the way into next week. The DPS in Pflugerville had appt open 4:50 that afternoon, but coming from far South Central Austin, that would mean driving in rush hour traffic both ways and I didn't wanna do that. The DPS on North Lamar soonest opening was 9:40am, 2 days after I made the appointment. I brought my birth certificate. After I got there, I had to wait outside in a socially distanced line and confirm on my cell phone that I arrived for my appt and they responded back with a number. I was on time but it still took almost an hour until my number was called. The lady was real nice and let me take 2 pictures because the 1st one was so bad.

https://public.txdpsscheduler.com

Old 06-24-2021, 09:05 PM

104 posts, read 70,852 times
I can't get an appointment for a new to TX license until August 26 and my Illinois license expires on August 5th. Sigh...

Old 06-24-2021, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerGirl05 View Post
I can't get an appointment for a new to TX license until August 26 and my Illinois license expires on August 5th. Sigh...
Where are you? There were plenty of slots available in Georgetown once I got to the actual "pick a time" page. Is it that much different for a new arrival?

Old 06-25-2021, 02:09 PM

4,912 posts, read 3,335,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
Good luck! I'm in a different state but in the same boat. For us, at least, the SSN and birth certificate/passport documentation is related to converting the license over to a Real ID for TSA/travel purposes.
Just so everyone knows, don't get too excited about the Real ID Texas license, because if you move out of state it's not necessarily considered Real ID THERE. In other words, you'll have to prove yourself born again, again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin