Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 11:17 AM

57 posts, read 126,899 times

Advertisements

We're from Houston, but my kids have gone to Camp Half-Blood in Austin for the last three years (I can configure my work so that I spend a full week in Austin in the summer to make that happen, which I love, too!). This year, it appears that there has been a split between the Book People and the folks who previously ran the camp (Topher and crew, now called Between the Pages), so there are two camps: Half-Blood and Camp Victory.

Does anyone from Austin have any insight into this? My younger child is still really, really hoping to attend one of the camps, but I feel like it is a bit of a minefield figuring out what is going on here. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 11:56 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechteach View Post
We're from Houston, but my kids have gone to Camp Half-Blood in Austin for the last three years (I can configure my work so that I spend a full week in Austin in the summer to make that happen, which I love, too!). This year, it appears that there has been a split between the Book People and the folks who previously ran the camp (Topher and crew, now called Between the Pages), so there are two camps: Half-Blood and Camp Victory.

Does anyone from Austin have any insight into this? My younger child is still really, really hoping to attend one of the camps, but I feel like it is a bit of a minefield figuring out what is going on here. Thanks for any help!

It is FULL of drama right now and I *think* much is still up in the air. I've been a Camp Half-Blood parent since the second year the camp ran 2008 and I am thankful that my youngest has pretty much just aged out.

I love Topher but Camp Victory is pretty far out from Austin and I am worried about its success. But at the same time, I haven't heard from Book People since November 14, 2018 and I haven't seen camp dates or registration yet from them.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:33 PM

668 posts, read 783,128 times
Where is Camp Half Blood usually held? I am assuming this is an HP-themed camp? My oldest daughter would just be old enough for it this year--centralaustinite, can you give a little bit of detail on what it's usually like?

Old 01-14-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
Where is Camp Half Blood usually held? I am assuming this is an HP-themed camp? My oldest daughter would just be old enough for it this year--centralaustinite, can you give a little bit of detail on what it's usually like?
Traditionally, Camp Half-Blood starts at age 9 and runs to 13-14 (with a separate section for high school kids). It follows the Rick Riordan books, Percy Jackson etc. The Greek gods are still among us and having children with mortals, thus their children are "half-bloods." The camp used to run at McKinney Falls State Park, one-week sessions from 8-5. Anywhere from 6-11 sessions per summer.

It was pretty glorious in its heyday. Topher Bradfield from BookPeople started the camp way back when. Rick Riordan himself came the first year. Kids are "claimed" and put into cabins based on their godly parent. Kids make (padded) weapons, have chariot races, throw spears, march in formation and go on quests as the week's story unfolds -- generally a parallel story in the Percy Jackson universe but not part of the books. Actors were hired to be gods (Mr D and Aphrodite came one year) or agents of evil forces and action would unfold in the woods. It was intensely geeky and nature-based in a very Austin way.

For many years, registration was only in person and parents would line-up all night outside BookPeople to get a slot for their kids. It was crazy but truly a highlight of my year. So much information -- about AISD middle schools and high schools and magnet programs, and other camps, and just pure gossip took place in that all-night line! Anyway, that ended about 3 years ago and registration moved on line.

You can see more about it here:
https://bookpeoplecamphalfblood.wordpress.com/

Camp Victory will be about the "Rick Riordan Presents" books which are by different authors and focus on diverse cultures (but their gods are still with us too!). I think the first year might be a bumpy ride but if anyone can pull it off, Topher probably can.

https://www.between-the-pages.org/

Old 01-15-2019, 01:47 PM

57 posts, read 126,899 times
Thanks for the feedback! That's a good point about the lack of info from BookPeople so far this year. Looking back through my emails, we registered for the 2018 camp in November 2017, so that's a bit concerning....

Old 01-19-2019, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,920 times
Default So will there be a Camp Half-Blood in Austin during summer 2019?

My daughter and her friend were really hoping to attend Camp Half-Blood this summer, and of course I found Camp Victory. I planned on signing them up, but I could not find the cost of camp anywhere... does anybody know what the cost for 1 camper at Camp Victory is?

Last edited by seok94; 01-19-2019 at 09:18 PM..

Old 01-19-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seok94 View Post
My daughter and her friend were really hoping to attend Camp Half-Blood this summer, and of course I found Camp Victory. I planned on signing them up, but I could not find the cost of camp anywhere... does anybody know what the cost for 1 camper at Camp Victory is?

I *think* it is either $495 or $595 for the week, it has never been cheap. I saw the rates early on before Camp Victory put them behind a wall.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:12 PM

THE DRAMA CONTINUES!! but it looks like there has been some sort of resolution -- I'm betting lawyers were involved. Both Topher and the Book People CEO had statements today. Camp Half-Bllood/Victory is BACK at McKinney Falls for the summer and Topher's non-profit is producing it.

Crazy! But happy that it is back closer to town and really no one can run the thing like Topher, not sure if Book People is involved going forward or not, no time today to carefully parse the statements.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:30 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
I am really glad the various factions appear to have reconciled. When they were fighting, it felt like we were the kids in the middle of a messy divorce of our parents.

My teen daughter is enrolled for Camp Victory for summer 2019. We shall see how that goes.

Old 10-01-2020, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,161 times
Exclamation Help!

Hello. I am interested i going to it for the 2021 year if it opens back up again. Is it an overnight camp? Because I live in a different state and I would be so sad if I couldn't come. I absolutely LOVE Rick Riordan's books and I just found out about this and it would be like a dream come true. Also, is there a number or something I could call? There is like no information on there website. Please someone help! This would literally be my dream camp, also can you stay multiple weeks or just one? Ik this thread is old, I would very much appreciate it if someone could answer ASAP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin