Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 11:22 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times

Advertisements

Yeah, it is working real well in LA, Seattle, & San Francisco.... you know, cities with great compassion & unlimited resources to help the homeless.
Most of them are not mentally ill, but rather are afflicted with the voluntary “disease” of drug addiction. And most of them are not from Austin. At least that is what a close relative (a first responder who has dealt with hundreds of them on a daily basis for 10 years) has said.
Crazy or not, they have no excuse for living in filth & garbage.

Adler and his worthless city council has and continues to screw the taxpayers of Austin with their incompetence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 11:39 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I live in far eastern round rock and I've seen zero panhandlers. Before that, I lived in north Pflugerville for ten years and saw zero panhandlers.

Old 11-10-2020, 11:42 AM

242 posts, read 206,711 times
These various "strategies" have become a lucrative industry.

Old 11-10-2020, 11:42 AM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
I’m not extremely affluent on the mental illness aspect. I do believe a broad portion of them however are mentally ill however, but also believe many of them are people who have had crisis events happen in their life such as say multiple deaths in their family and losing their job in a relatively short period of time, nowhere else to turn - next thing you know their drinking addiction is the only thing to clinge to, lose concern for societal values and in essence give up on themselves. Not as difficult to do as one might believe if issues pile up and they have no way of escaping them, especially if they are financial issues and they incur before the individual is able to establish a trade.

I personally believe it is a very real issue and applaud that the leftist are addressing it, I just deeply disprove of HOW they’re addressing it.

Old 11-10-2020, 11:46 AM

109 posts, read 83,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I live in far eastern round rock and I've seen zero panhandlers. Before that, I lived in north Pflugerville for ten years and saw zero panhandlers.
I said the same thing when i lived close to arboretum in 2016 when people mentioned homeless problem. Now the intersection of 183 and great hills is a cesspool

Old 11-10-2020, 11:50 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzle Stick View Post
These various "strategies" have become a lucrative industry.
Yeah. HUD and Ben Carlson are making buck from helping the homeless.
Hey, maybe he is, how would I know.

Who is making all that money from the homeless exactly. Everyone I know volunteers. The only paid folks are formerly homeless.

Old 11-10-2020, 11:53 AM

242 posts, read 206,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Yeah, it is working real well in LA, Seattle, & San Francisco.... you know, cities with great compassion & unlimited resources to help the homeless.
Most of them are not mentally ill, but rather are afflicted with the voluntary “disease” of drug addiction. And most of them are not from Austin. At least that is what a close relative (a first responder who has dealt with hundreds of them on a daily basis for 10 years) has said.

Adler and his worthless city council has and continues to screw the taxpayers of Austin with their incompetence.
Adler and the council do not have a grasp on behavioral psychology. When you allow a behavior to exist and provide a path-of-least-resistance through lax aka "compassionate" policy, you are making the problem grow.

Governor Abbott created a safe camping area away from densely populated areas, where public health could service them, and APD could prevent the drug dealers from getting to these people. THAT was the start of what needed to happen and the Governor provided it already. The CoA could step in with housing, mental health, employment and more advanced support services if they chose to.

Mayor Adler's excuse for the homeless camps was that the CoA could not ban camping if the homeless didn't have another option.

Gov. Abbott provided the option that Adler asked for.

Mayor Adler still did not ban public camping after Gov. Abbott gave him that second option (the option that protected the remaining 99% of the public), and now here we are 12 months later, the homeless are spread everywhere within the city limits and the problem is 3x worse.

Adler is a FRAUD.

Last edited by Swizzle Stick; 11-10-2020 at 12:16 PM..

Old 11-10-2020, 12:01 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Well yeah.

Old 11-10-2020, 12:19 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

Drug addiction is a byproduct of mental illness. People who don't have access to proper care self medicate with what they DO have available to them, which is illegal drugs and alcohol. Addiction treatment also falls under the category of health care. I'm not saying it's a cure-all, but it's a start.

Old 11-10-2020, 12:40 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axorb View Post
I said the same thing when i lived close to arboretum in 2016 when people mentioned homeless problem. Now the intersection of 183 and great hills is a cesspool
Great Hills though is serviced by bus, which provides easy access. That's part of the problem. There are many areas of Wilco that are inaccessible, including Round Rock. People were very concerned about panhandlers when bus service was introduced, but the pros definitely outweighed the cons. My area, though, has no bus service and won't for the foreseeable future, though Kalahari might change that. I've seen the occasional panhandler around the bus depot in downtown RR but nowhere near the level as Austin.

Round Rock is purple politically, but homeless shelters are very unpopular and the limited transit and fewer roadways aren't conducive to large homeless settlements.

I've found Wilco to be very homeless unfriendly, either through policy, geography, or public sentiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin