Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 11:14 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,521,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
The truth that we have terrible leaders who lead by force, and not by example.
Well I do agree that Adler was being hypocritical and I find that inexcusable. the mea culpa doesn't do diddley. he seriously hurt his credibility. you don't tell people to stay at home at all costs while posting from Mexico. He should suck it up like the rest of us who actually do mostly stay home.

In fact, I am dismayed by the actions of many "leaders" during this pandemic from the feds on down.

Thank God I don't look to these people to make my own decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 11:18 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,523,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Well I do agree that Adler was being hypocritical and I find that inexcusable. the mea culpa doesn't do diddley. he seriously hurt his credibility. you don't tell people to stay at home at all costs while posting from Mexico. He should suck it up like the rest of us who actually do mostly stay home.

In fact, I am dismayed by the actions of many "leaders" during this pandemic from the feds on down.

As a person, I think Adler appears to be a very nice man. He is mild-mannered, never loses his cool, and demonstrates empathy that feels genuine. His actions here are so unlike what we’ve come to expect of him that it’s just extra-shocking. I think of him flying to Cabo on a private jet with his family to stay in his timeshare and typing up that edict from a laptop while sitting in the sun and I realize that he is just like the rest of them. Very disappointing.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:47 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,693,423 times
Well, I don't really give a darn what people do, I know what I should do...

That said, flying on a private jet is not exactly flying commercial and mixing with crowds. And staying at a timeshare (or second home, whatever) is not exactly spreading virus. If I could afford private travel and had a vacation home, I wouldn't feel guilty either .

Old 12-03-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
As a person, I think Adler appears to be a very nice man. He is mild-mannered, never loses his cool, and demonstrates empathy that feels genuine. His actions here are so unlike what we’ve come to expect of him that it’s just extra-shocking. I think of him flying to Cabo on a private jet with his family to stay in his timeshare and typing up that edict from a laptop while sitting in the sun and I realize that he is just like the rest of them. Very disappointing.
Yes, surprising and disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Well, I don't really give a darn what people do, I know what I should do...

That said, flying on a private jet is not exactly flying commercial and mixing with crowds. And staying at a timeshare (or second home, whatever) is not exactly spreading virus. If I could afford private travel and had a vacation home, I wouldn't feel guilty either .
Like I said, I don't look to "leaders", but it is hypocritical to tell people to stay home and only associate with those in your immediate household while flying to Mexico and commingling with many family members and people other than his household. People have picked up Covid 19 from something as benign as a birthday party...all it really takes is one. More importantly, don't double down and tell people to stay home and only associate with those in your household when you clearly did otherwise...

Old 12-03-2020, 01:08 PM

Yes, riaelise ... I like the way you laid that out.
It’s not complicated. As an elected leader you need to be the example for your constituents to follow. We’ve simply seen too many examples the past few months of leaders saying one thing and doing another. It has left the public confused and angry. The optics are awful as well. Rather Antoinettish to tell folks to forego their daily lives and stay home while you’re getting a $150 haircut, hosting parties in the Rose Garden, eating $300 dinners in Napa, flying off to Hawaii, and chilling out in Cabo.

I’m petrified of COVID. I’ve created my own path of safety: I’ve hidden out at home for nine damn months, hopeful for a vaccine. It’s coming, I’m happy about that, and I’m staying the safe course til the end. But every time I see an elected official flaunt their very own created and mandated safety rules for some frivolous event, it really angers me. Lives have been ruined due to COVID. This is no time for vain and clueless demonstrations of wealth and power during an epidemic that is killing, crippling, and bankrupting people. Be humble. Be a good leader. Lead by example. That’s all I hope for.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:02 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,151,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

most people are hypocrites.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:11 PM

12,960 posts, read 13,386,884 times
Most people aren’t powerful politicians telling the little people what to do. They - the politicians- regard themselves as above the rest of us.... instead of serving us.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:18 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,151,862 times
Quote:
It’s not complicated. As an elected leader you need to be the example for your constituents to follow. We’ve simply seen too many examples the past few months of leaders saying one thing and doing another. It has left the public confused and angry. The optics are awful as well. Rather Antoinettish to tell folks to forego their daily lives and stay home while you’re getting a $150 haircut, hosting parties in the Rose Garden, eating $300 dinners in Napa, flying off to Hawaii, and chilling out in Cabo.

I’m petrified of COVID. I’ve created my own path of safety: I’ve hidden out at home for nine damn months, hopeful for a vaccine. It’s coming, I’m happy about that, and I’m staying the safe course til the end. But every time I see an elected official flaunt their very own created and mandated safety rules for some frivolous event, it really angers me. Lives have been ruined due to COVID. This is no time for vain and clueless demonstrations of wealth and power during an epidemic that is killing, crippling, and bankrupting people. Be humble. Be a good leader. Lead by example. That’s all I hope for.
Covid is bad, but to be "petrified" of it is your own issue. Im going to take moderate and easy steps to not get it. But if I did get it I know the chance of a bad outcome is very low.

The problem is the people telling us to be terrified of it were weaponizing the fear to their benefit. Their actions show that they simply arent that afraid.

It is a little bit like climate change people telling us the coasts are going to be flooded in 10 years and Obama buys a multi million dollar beach house. Or telling us that we should conserve carbon while flying on private jets and living in 10K square foot homes.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Covid is bad, but to be "petrified" of it is your own issue. Im going to take moderate and easy steps to not get it. But if I did get it I know the chance of a bad outcome is very low.

The problem is the people telling us to be terrified of it were weaponizing the fear to their benefit. Their actions show that they simply arent that afraid.

It is a little bit like climate change people telling us the coasts are going to be flooded in 10 years and Obama buys a multi million dollar beach house. Or telling us that we should conserve carbon while flying on private jets and living in 10K square foot homes.
Of course it’s my own issue. And “petrified” is a literary exaggeration; “I really don’t want to get it” is more accurate. My fears and subsequent steps to stay safe are on me. I listen to the experts, consider my own details, and make safe decisions for myself. I don’t advise anybody else and frankly, I’m not bothered by individuals making their own assessment. We all need to live our lives.

I’m not fond of government restrictions. Not one bit. I’m even less fond of government employees who lay out restrictions then get caught breaking them. Not once. Not twice; literally a clown car now of occurrences beginning to pile up.

Do what you want to do. But if you are in a public position of advising others, follow your own advice. Don’t be the jerk who gets caught acting like a bourgeois king.

Old 12-03-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Right.

I, too, have made a choice to mitigate my risk. Another one of my husband's coworkers picked up Covid from a lunch date with their friend. young person. went straight to the hospital heaving for air. You and I are merely giving the virus its due respect. science still doesn't know what the long term ramifications are of contracting covid and over a quarter million have died. statistically, that doesn't seem like much..to those folks' families, it's a helluva lot. Additionally, many don't even know that they are, in fact, "high risk". I am 5'10, 145, fit...outwardly you'd say I was in tip top health, but I have hypertension, which can make me even more at risk for not only getting Covid, but having the "bad" side of covid. Don't want to take that chance.

Which tells us that we just need to tune these people out. Adler, I thought, was doing a great job handling covid here...especially since travis has less cases than mostly all of the big cities in Texas .... but he's stepped in dog poop with this one and like I said, undermines Austin Public Health's non-stop admonitions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin