Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 03:20 PM

4 posts, read 2,272 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Frustrated California family here who is thinking about relocating to the lovely State of Texas, specifically, Austin. We vote Republican! We like to Mountain Bike and are curious if anyone has any suggestions of good trails in or around the Austin area. Maybe Dripping Springs. Much appreciated!

Old 12-05-2020, 03:41 PM

9,855 posts, read 13,764,836 times
Walnut Creek. It’s north Austin and a trek from Dripping, but that’s the first place I can think of. Just please be mindful of those walking and off leash dogs. And watch out for pesky Democrats. You’ll know them by their flaming blue hair in man buns and Bernie 2024 shirts.

Old 12-05-2020, 04:22 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,535,896 times
Slaughter Creek Trail in SW Austin.

Old 12-05-2020, 05:32 PM

4,515 posts, read 4,663,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW56 View Post
Hello,

Frustrated California family here who is thinking about relocating to the lovely State of Texas, specifically, Austin. We vote Republican! We like to Mountain Bike and are curious if anyone has any suggestions of good trails in or around the Austin area. Maybe Dripping Springs. Much appreciated!
What does you voting Republican have to do with anything?

You might try the Veloway in Southwest Austin. It's an approximate 3 mile long bike trail that has some pretty steep hills, out near Circle C.

https://youtu.be/XkYtJrLBQtk

4900 Lacrosse Avenue
Austin, TX 78739

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 12-05-2020 at 05:42 PM..

Old 12-05-2020, 05:51 PM

11,913 posts, read 8,149,816 times
Can't help but wonder if the OP know's that he's moving to a dominantly blue city proper.

Old 12-05-2020, 06:54 PM

4 posts, read 2,272 times
Thanks for the recommendations everyone! Keep them coming. I have 5 great trails within 5 miles of my house now, so I am curious what else is out there. We have it good for Bikes here now for sure.

As for the blue city, I get it. I have been told there is a lot of animosity with the locals there, when us Californians invade. And believe me, the exodus is on here!

Old 12-05-2020, 09:04 PM

9,855 posts, read 13,764,836 times
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations everyone! Keep them coming. I have 5 great trails within 5 miles of my house now, so I am curious what else is out there. We have it good for Bikes here now for sure.

As for the blue city, I get it. I have been told there is a lot of animosity with the locals there, when us Californians invade. And believe me, the exodus is on here!
You're not going to find that if you're living in Dripping. You'll need to do some more research on the Austin area if that's going to be your deciding factor. I have chosen several places to live based on their closeness to safe running spots so I get it. Dripping Springs is still own in the boonies. It's generally considered "rural" Texas and up until the last maybe 10 years was just kind of a blip of a small town on 71 on the way to other larger cities like Dallas and San Antonio. (I don't get why you needed to add you're a Republican but to each their own...maybe Lake Travis would be a good place for you).

Old 12-05-2020, 10:01 PM

15,292 posts, read 35,754,456 times
For SW Austin - Slaughter Creek Trail, Rock Hill Ranch ($), Muleshoe, Reimers Ranch, and a ton of trails around SW Austin that branch off the Violet Crown trail network, to name a few. Rocky Hill charges a notable fee, the city/county parks charge an entry fee ($5-10?), Slaughter Creek is free, as is Violet Crown.

My wife is an avid Mnt biker and is still exploring new trails. She often ends up stopping and chatting with veteran bikers out on the trail who point out new trails/paths.

Walnut Creek trail is NW, but don't know much about that area of town in regards to mountain biking.

And don't don't mention your politics (R, D, or other) while out on the trail, you will quickly find yourself avoided . And in real life (not the internet), very, very few people care if your from CA, Austin, Houston, or wherever. Any animosity is really limited to a few insecure people.....

Old 12-06-2020, 01:20 AM

7,744 posts, read 15,176,498 times
Quote:
Hello,

depending on your level-

walnut - green
south austin trail network - green
bull creek - green
St eds - blue
lakeway - blue
brushy creek - blue (some black)
barton creek greenbelt - blue/black
thumper - black
emma long/city park - black
cat mountain - double black

there are also trails outside of austin
spider mountain
reveille peak
reimers ranch
pace bend
pedernales falls
rocky hill ranch
flat creek crossing
bluff creek
etc

Austinbike.com has a pretty good listing.

Old 12-06-2020, 04:36 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,535,896 times
As a former Californian myself I understand exactly why the OP mentioned politics. The hostility of many Texans toward Californians “bringing their damn liberal politics here!” has been a longtime battle cry now baked into Californians moving here. We see constant commentary in Texas on this topic.

OP was most likely just trying to self-identify as “friend, not foe!”

You don’t need to do that, OP! It’s a free country, we are all free to live where we like, and if you are simply a nice person you will be welcomed here regardless of your personal politics. Besides, Austin is a pretty liberal city anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin