Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 07:30 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by axorb View Post
And if you just decide to end up buying a house in leander or cedar park or whatever i don't get the point. You could easily do that in any suburb of Dallas, Houston or San Antonio.
The point is that many of us prefer to live in a suburb. And yes, suburbs in Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are just as nice if not nicer than in Austin. Except for west Austin hill country.

Round Rock is no different than Plano or Lewisville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 08:47 AM

11,811 posts, read 8,018,631 times
FWIW over half of Austin’s MSA population is suburban. It doesn’t stand out in any way, shape or form in this aspect than DFW, Houston, San Antonio or anywhere else USA. One would argue that Austin proper has 1 million people, well yeah because it’s city limits are so large, but even there most of that is very suburban.

Old 12-17-2020, 09:11 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
FWIW over half of Austin’s MSA population is suburban. It doesn’t stand out in any way, shape or form in this aspect than DFW, Houston, San Antonio or anywhere else USA. One would argue that Austin proper has 1 million people, well yeah because it’s city limits are so large, but even there most of that is very suburban.
Where is that statistic from? Or are you just guessing again?

Old 12-17-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Where is that statistic from? Or are you just guessing again?
Oh I don’t know... Try googling it

Old 12-17-2020, 12:01 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Oh I don’t know... Try googling it
I could but I want to know the right phrasing to get the statistic you’re citing

Old 12-17-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I could but I want to know the right phrasing to get the statistic you’re citing
The only place in Austin that I really consider urban is Downtown. Outside of that it becomes lower density pretty quickly with SFH’s and apartment complexes and further away, subdivisions. Austin’s core area only has about 7.8k residents in a city proper of about 971,000 people but the city limits of Austin proper extend a large range around its downtown so it encompasses much more low density development and that to me is suburban.

https://austintexas.gov/faq/how-many...-live-downtown

Old 12-17-2020, 03:15 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Have you ever visited Bangalore? I’m thinking ... not.
I think he's Indian and was born there.

Anyway, honestly, I'd prefer Round Rock over say, Prosper. I saw the homes there...absolutely flat lots with not a tree in sight except for the twigs placed in the front yards...now the newer areas of RR are guilty of the same thing as Katy, Prosper, etc. - huge houses on postage stamp lots with no trees..but there are also some nice older gems that give me the nod. The homes along Brushy Creek, fronting the creek, are pretty. It's not Hill Country or anything, but I wouldn't mind my living room windows overlooking that. There are also some hidden older neighborhoods and the homes along downtown round rock have nice character.

I came to Austin for love....I'm not sure if I would be drawn otherwise, even now. I wouldn't have left my family and professional base for "coolness". Some of the most attractive areas in Austin are the suburban areas that tend to have awesome views of nature...those areas appeal to me the most. Since I can't afford million dollar homes, I'll commune with nature in my backyard

Austin does though offer an overall great quality of life whether you live in the CoA or surrounding suburbs. I have a great quality of life when compared to New York, where I'm from. Here I get to have a nice sized SFH with big wooded backyard, something unheard of that wasn't a million dollars in the NYC suburbs.

Old 12-17-2020, 04:21 PM

181 posts, read 159,783 times
Having grown up in the Austin area; friends and family are the only thing that continue to tie me to Austin. I've spent considerable time in and around the Houston area, and would be more likely to settle there if I was starting from scratch. I'd also look strongly at San Antonio because homes are better priced in both the central area and what one would consider hill country (whereas Austin homes in the hills are expensive w/ lots of traffic). Austin and Dallas aren't much different to me, and I'd probably lean towards Dallas because it has more to offer. I'd only pick Austin if I were to live downtown or could afford a nice ($X million) house in the Westlake to Windsor areas. All of the major cities in Texas offer fun stuff to do. The other ones have more culture and "class" if that's your style. Austin offers "outdoors", which are now packed with people. So if you're young and like crowds (or just like crowds) come to Austin. Young professionals and up will be fine in any of the other cities.

Last edited by VAF84; 12-17-2020 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: Replaced Austin w/ Texas

Old 12-18-2020, 04:11 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The point is that many of us prefer to live in a suburb. And yes, suburbs in Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are just as nice if not nicer than in Austin. Except for west Austin hill country.

Round Rock is no different than Plano or Lewisville.
However, Austin suburbs have the nicer winter weather compared to Dallas...many fewer ice storms, for example. AND most of Austin doesn't worry about floods like much of Houston.

Old 12-18-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
However, Austin suburbs have the nicer winter weather compared to Dallas...many fewer ice storms, for example. AND most of Austin doesn't worry about floods like much of Houston.
Yes. Camaro owners such as myself don’t do ice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin