Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 08:50 AM

181 posts, read 159,971 times

Advertisements

No joke! I'm kicking myself for not locking in a house in the Wolf Ranch subdivision where we'd like to eventually move to. Luckily, picked up a house that didn't make it to the MLS in the Round Rock area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 12:37 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
the homes in our round rock neighborhood are 29% higher than they were at the end of 2020. the recent sale of $875k just raised the ceiling. 550k now gets you less than 3k sq ft.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:12 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,907,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rCalFellow View Post
That you're overpaying for a house by 25% in more in a matter of months. And it's tad too much for a house that is simply perhaps not spending.
‘This Is Unprecedented’: Why America’s Housing Market Has Never Been Weirder

The supply of houses is down significantly due to COVID (people don't want to let others inside of their house and don't want to tour other people's houses) and material costs have increased (demand & transit times have increased a lot, maybe some Trump tariffs too). Also, older people don't want to go to nursing homes now and are staying put.

It's not just Austin, it's everywhere. I'd assume supply will increase slowly after everything is "normal".

Old 03-12-2021, 08:26 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,063,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post

It's not just Austin, it's everywhere. I'd assume supply will increase slowly after everything is "normal".
This is true. In the spectrum of "hot" markets though, Austin does seem to be on the leading edge of the "frenzy factor".

Normal seasonality (spring/summer selling season), and the relaxing of CV19 concern, and the re-normalization of everyday life, should see more inventory coming online. But maybe not.

There are a number of different categoy of sellers.

Move Up Sellers, Same City
These sellers benefit not at all, and maybe are even hurt by the strong seller's market. Think of a couple, late 30s, mid-career, two kids, ready for something bigger and the middle/highschool tracks they want to move into.

Yes, they can sell at a premium, turn around and buy up, but, also paying a premium. So it's a wash. This will prompt some, or maybe many, to invest in uppgrades or more space in the current home and stay. Thus, their home does not become "inventory".

That's just one example. Then the move-up buyer a rung beneath them on the move-up ladder, don't have a home to move up to either, because there are not any.

Finally, the first-time buyers are suffering the most. They typically by a resale from someone moving up/out of their starter home. That "starter home" is now being scooped up by the inventory-starved mid-level move-up buyers who are priced out of the $400K-$600K neighborhoods, so they (mid-level move-ups) end up downshifting, paying $500K for a $400K home in Pflugerville or East Round Rock instead of the area that was their first choice.

In doing so, displacing/outbidding first-time buyers who can't compete for FHA/VA loans because they cannot afford to waive the appraisal and cover the gap with cash at close.

Old 03-12-2021, 08:45 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,708,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Finally, the first-time buyers are suffering the most. They typically by a resale from someone moving up/out of their starter home. That "starter home" is now being scooped up by the inventory-starved mid-level move-up buyers who are priced out of the $400K-$600K neighborhoods, so they (mid-level move-ups) end up downshifting, paying $500K for a $400K home in Pflugerville or East Round Rock instead of the area that was their first choice.

And this is where the rental market gets impacted, specifically those class A properties. I was talking to a neighbor who is up for renewal. We're both coming up for renewal at about the same time and we were chatting about incentives and other newer complexes that are opening up nearby. He is looking for a unit with a yard. He said another one of our neighbors is buying a house in San Antonio and moving out. Since she's moving to SA it's a different market, but for those of us who are getting close to financially being able to purchase are getting stuck in renting. In the long run that could be okay so we can save and buy a better home, but for those that are getting close to ending their lease and are ready to end their lease they're going to be screwed with the squeeze of the market.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:43 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Quote:
This is true. In the spectrum of "hot" markets though, Austin does seem to be on the leading edge of the "frenzy factor".

Normal seasonality (spring/summer selling season), and the relaxing of CV19 concern, and the re-normalization of everyday life, should see more inventory coming online. But maybe not.

There are a number of different categoy of sellers.

Move Up Sellers, Same City
These sellers benefit not at all, and maybe are even hurt by the strong seller's market. Think of a couple, late 30s, mid-career, two kids, ready for something bigger and the middle/highschool tracks they want to move into.

Yes, they can sell at a premium, turn around and buy up, but, also paying a premium. So it's a wash. This will prompt some, or maybe many, to invest in uppgrades or more space in the current home and stay. Thus, their home does not become "inventory".

That's just one example. Then the move-up buyer a rung beneath them on the move-up ladder, don't have a home to move up to either, because there are not any.

In doing so, displacing/outbidding first-time buyers who can't compete for FHA/VA loans because they cannot afford to waive the appraisal and cover the gap with cash at close.
Steve, why do you continue to crap on Pflugerville and East Round Rock and single those cities out? You do know that many people who move there aren't 'downshifting' and it is their first choice. People move to both because they are closer in to Austin and the biggest issue used to be commute time but now that people are doing more remote work, distance from downtown isn't a factor anymore and opens these cities up for consideration. My friends, who paid over 500k for their Blackhawk home TWO AND A HALF YEARS AGO, wanted to move to Pflugerville from Austin. The area they live in is close to the toll, shopping, they have a bigger newer house and the area has good schools. My East Round Rock neighborhood zones to good schools for the most part and is centrally located and near many amenities including the Kalahari. Both cities are getting a huge influx of out of state buyers, willing to pay anything. As I stated upthread, a home in my neighborhood recently sold for 875k. It was listed for 675k and was bought for 540 three years ago. To the Colorado buyer that purchased it and probably put down a lot of money, 875k for a .57 acre lot, 3500 sq ft custom home was worth it.

You can say the same for Leander, people paying 500k for a 400k home. Leander was the sticks and even now is still playing catch up in terms of amenities. The schools that are actually in Leander aren't good either. But the homes are selling at a rapid clip, and I'm talking cookie cutter developments here. Prices are inflated everywhere.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:19 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Well, it appears to be unofficially official...
$400K is the new $300K
SOMEbody is having a field day with these increases in new construction in the northern burbs. Plans that were UNDER $300K last year are in excess of $400K now...at least some showing that increase just since December!!!

I'd love to see a breakout of the numbers on a home in a third or fourth phase of a development that has seen that increase. Construction costs may have ticked up a bit, land was already purchased, sales are virtually instantaneous....sounds like a serious windfall to me!!! Dang
Is it time to start up a construction business?

Old 03-13-2021, 09:22 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
They typically by a resale from someone moving up/out of their starter home. That "starter home" is now being scooped up by the inventory-starved mid-level move-up buyers who are priced out of the $400K-$600K neighborhoods, so they (mid-level move-ups) end up downshifting, paying $500K for a $400K home in Pflugerville or East Round Rock instead of the area that was their first choice.
If that home is selling for $500k, it's not a $400k home. It's a $500k home.

Old 03-13-2021, 11:41 AM

3,080 posts, read 3,267,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
If that home is selling for $500k, it's not a $400k home. It's a $500k home.

Yes and no right? If the majority of houses follow the trend, then yes, it's a $500k house. If it's an outlier, then not so much. In the end, it's all about the timing.

Old 03-13-2021, 01:27 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,063,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Steve, why do you continue to crap on Pflugerville and East Round Rock and single those cities out? ....
Sorry, I didn't know I was "crapping" on those areas. But I can see how it can seem that way.

I'm sure many buyers see Pfl/RRE as "first choice" areas for a lot of good reasons today compared to 20 years ago. So I won't disagree with you. Both areas have certainly matured out of their original "bedroom community", commuter categories over the decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin