Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2021, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 3,379 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Georgetown, Jarrell, or Belton area. What can you tell me about these areas as far as living, schools etc?

We're a family of 5 in San Antonio, husband is entertaining the idea of joining his brother to take over his late father's business in Florence. I can't get out of San Antonio fast enough, but I don't really want to live in Florence (or Austin for that matter). I'd prefer a slightly larger town with amenities and good schools. Husband wants to be close enough so it's not a far drive. I am a teacher and want to work for a good district and have my kids attend as well. Are there any other cities in the vicinity we should consider for families?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 09:21 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
Maybe Liberty hill or even Leander. As a former SA resident, welcome to the central texas area. Come up for a drive and visit these areas to get a vibe and see what you feel is best for you you. It’s close enough for some day trips.

Old 05-02-2021, 09:23 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,121,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeontherange8 View Post
Looking to move to Georgetown, Jarrell, or Belton area. What can you tell me about these areas as far as living, schools etc?

We're a family of 5 in San Antonio, husband is entertaining the idea of joining his brother to take over his late father's business in Florence. I can't get out of San Antonio fast enough, but I don't really want to live in Florence (or Austin for that matter). I'd prefer a slightly larger town with amenities and good schools. Husband wants to be close enough so it's not a far drive. I am a teacher and want to work for a good district and have my kids attend as well. Are there any other cities in the vicinity we should consider for families?
I think liberty hill or north leander would be my choice

1) cedar park is essentially austin these days and has some of the austiny type restaurants and national chains like whole foods and costco.
2) I personally avoid I35 at all costs. 183 is busy as well but I35 is on a whole different level
3) Leander school district seems pretty well run and the schools are well respected
4) you can drive to leander and take the train downtown. Over time I think this will even become a useful option

Georgetown would be the same replacing round rock for leander. The main difference is that with georgetown you have to use I35. Even on a sunday night I35 around exit 251 is a disaster.

Old 05-02-2021, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the info. We've driven around the areas when visiting family but never with the intent to move so will definitely do that over summer.

Husband will be taking 35 to 195 (but I'm sure there are back roads) to get to Florence so we're looking for best routes for ease of access there. I know taxes are really high in Williamson Cty which is a concern. We're essentially looking for the small town feel with nearby recreation and not too far from things like grocery/entertainment. Should also mention we're trying to find a house below 250k.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:18 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. We've driven around the areas when visiting family but never with the intent to move so will definitely do that over summer.

Husband will be taking 35 to 195 (but I'm sure there are back roads) to get to Florence so we're looking for best routes for ease of access there. I know taxes are really high in Williamson Cty which is a concern. We're essentially looking for the small town feel with nearby recreation and not too far from things like grocery/entertainment. Should also mention we're trying to find a house below 250k.
Where are y'all in SA and do you like where you are? That might help me personally make a recommendation.

Old 05-07-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Where are y'all in SA and do you like where you are? That might help me personally make a recommendation.
We are on the NE side of SA in the suburbs. It's okay, lots of traffic and they are packing in as many houses as they can everywhere.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:29 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Georgetown would be my best bet maybe even north round rock. Berry creek is adjacent to 195 and a great neighborhood. But your real challenge is finding a decent home at that budget, considering homes are often bid up. 250k isn’t going to get you “good schools”.....sorry.

Old 05-20-2021, 11:37 AM

65 posts, read 217,786 times
Belton would definitely have cheaper housing costs, and has a very good school district. Usually, the desired isd between people living in the general area.

You obviously won't have as many things close by as you would in a suburb. But Belton is right between Temple & Killeen with a combined metro of around 400k. So for example you arent driving 40 minutes just to a movie theater. Beyond the two in Belton proper, there's others within 15 minutes. Same with restaurants, stores etc.

Old 05-22-2021, 07:45 AM

364 posts, read 1,420,366 times
Quote:
husband is entertaining the idea of joining his brother to take over his late father's business in Florence.
At the risk of sounding like a total jerk, I would advise you to think strongly about working with/for family. If there is a dispute, how will it be handled? Is the mom still alive and influential? If something goes sideways, a family can absolutely explode if Mom sides with a favorite/baby. Family can have your back, or stab you in it.

Assuming that you have already thought this through and your husband gets along with his brother, then I would recommend Belton or even Salado for schools. We lived in Temple for 15 years and loved the area. Our kids went to a private school when they were young and we moved before they hit middle school, but I knew/know lots of families that went to Belton and loved it. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin