Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 12:49 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Racism. White Chads and Trixies (now Karens) are afraid of leaving their white bubble of Austin. Heavily Hispanic San Antonio is pretty foreign to White Anglo-Saxon Protestants; the Spanish language, Catholic culture, and spicy (Tex-)Mexican food evokes xenophobia.

Also the reason the tech bros decided to set up in Austin instead of San Antonio, despite comparable cheap electricity, cost-of-living, population, etc.

I'm as WASPy as they come and I was raised in San Antonio and was never "afraid" or "scared" of any part of the city, even the westside , eastside or southside. Shoot, some of my first jobs were on the westside. I canvassed the southside for signatures for an early iteration of Obamacare and I have had many elderly clients that I visited in the evenings on the eastside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 01:31 PM

539 posts, read 440,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I'm as WASPy as they come and I was raised in San Antonio and was never "afraid" or "scared" of any part of the city, even the westside , eastside or southside. Shoot, some of my first jobs were on the westside. I canvassed the southside for signatures for an early iteration of Obamacare and I have had many elderly clients that I visited in the evenings on the eastside.
So there's not one, but three bad sides of SA ?. Maybe that's the problem.

Anyways, the city of SA has some touristy things, but if you visit the Riverwalk/Alamo, Seaworld or the Missions, you've pretty much seen the best of the city. I don't think that it's a safety issue, but rather a lack of quality throughout the city. Once you get out of the touristy areas, the city is kind of depressing.

Old 05-12-2021, 01:49 PM

181 posts, read 159,649 times
I feel like we're getting trolled by the OP lol

Old 05-12-2021, 01:56 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
So there's not one, but three bad sides of SA ?. Maybe that's the problem.

Anyways, the city of SA has some touristy things, but if you visit the Riverwalk/Alamo, Seaworld or the Missions, you've pretty much seen the best of the city. I don't think that it's a safety issue, but rather a lack of quality throughout the city. Once you get out of the touristy areas, the city is kind of depressing.
There's MUCH more to San Antonio than the Riverwalk, Missions, and Seaworld.

One could argue that Austin doesn't really offer much more if you're not an outdoorsy person. Austin can easily be done in a day or maybe two. I also wouldn't say the entire city of Austin is much better. You have some nice areas, and then you have some other areas that are 'depressing' (i.e. areas off 183, 35, and 290).

Old 05-12-2021, 02:08 PM

539 posts, read 440,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
There's MUCH more to San Antonio than the Riverwalk, Missions, and Seaworld.

One could argue that Austin doesn't really offer much more if you're not an outdoorsy person. Austin can easily be done in a day or maybe two. I also wouldn't say the entire city of Austin is much better. You have some nice areas, and then you have some other areas that are 'depressing' (i.e. areas off 183, 35, and 290).
But 80% of San Antonio looks like those areas

Old 05-12-2021, 03:04 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
No it does not.

The cities are built in a different manner. San Antonio is built in a spoke and wheel pattern and you would have to leave a freeway to see most of the nice areas.

Austin is whiter and richer and the homes cost more, but there are vast swaths of San Antonio that look just like Austin.

I do not go to Austin for weekend trips, but I have a few friends that do. We go to Houston and NOLA for weekends as they are just have more attractive for our lifestyle in our 30s. I did go to Austin often in my 20s and don't mind going once in awhile.

As for crime, all the Texas cities are trending with their peers nationally in the wrong direction. Safewise just announced the 50 safest cities and they were as follow for the big ones and these are out of 266...
  1. El Paso 139
  2. Austin 222
  3. San Antonio 251
  4. Dallas 252
  5. Houston 263

https://www.safewise.com/blog/safest-cities-texas/

Last edited by rynetwo; 05-12-2021 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: link added

Old 05-12-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAF84 View Post
I feel like we're getting trolled by the OP lol
We are. Dude has asked and contributed to some pretty questionable threads about race and language recently.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:27 PM

You’d like Denver heights, Cheeva. Maybe even the immediate area around the AT&T center. 78207 would be a stellar place for you to visit.

Old 05-12-2021, 05:12 PM

11,794 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Yeaaaaaaa no.

Old 05-12-2021, 05:47 PM

109 posts, read 71,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
We are. Dude has asked and contributed to some pretty questionable threads about race and language recently.
I don't appreciate this blasphemy against my name. I'm just asking a genuine question about a topic that has been brought up on many occasions and I'm determined to get down to the bottom of it. Don't be upset if you don't like my questions I'm just doing my job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin