Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 09:15 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times

Advertisements

all the austin articles complaining about traffic or rating it the worst are based on a metric called congestion. Congestion is the ratio of the worst time to the best time. This means if austin is relatively free flowing most of the time, but slows down a lot percentage wise then it would get a worse rating.

Quote:
A key component of INRIX
Real-Time Traffic Data is the
proprietary INRIX Vehicle Tracking
Algorithm, which classifies
each second of a single vehicle
trip as congested or free flow.
Congestion is defined as a speed
below 65 percent of the free-flow
speed, which is not an arbitrary
or unachievable overnight speed,
but the typical uncongested
speed on that road segment.
The result of this innovation is a measure of
congestion that reflects the real-world experience
and expectations of drivers. The total drive time
can be separated into congested or free flow,
and the ratio of these is the congestion rate,
or the percentag

Another metric that I think is more telling is total average commute time. This takes into account housing prices that let you live close to your job as well as how nasty traffic gets. By total average commute time austin is way down the list.

https://www.titlemax.com/discovery-c...-commute-time/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 11:55 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
There are several articles out talking about how bad traffic is/has gotten in Austin. Was the traffic better/worse where you moved from?
Traffic in Austin has been horrible since the early 90s. This isn't anything new. If it's gotten worse, it's for the same reason it got bad in the first place. Lack of planning and infrastructure investment. The 183 project provided some relief, as did the expansion, and partial toll conversion of MoPac. However, without something like an X35 loop, it's only going to get progressively worse.

Old 06-15-2021, 12:07 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Traffic in Austin has been horrible since the early 90s. This isn't anything new. If it's gotten worse, it's for the same reason it got bad in the first place. Lack of planning and infrastructure investment. The 183 project provided some relief, as did the expansion, and partial toll conversion of MoPac. However, without something like an X35 loop, it's only going to get progressively worse.
It is kind of odd that Austin doesn't have a 3dgi loop for I-35, or even just a partial loop.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:00 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It is kind of odd that Austin doesn't have a 3dgi loop for I-35, or even just a partial loop.
Mopac is a "loop." It's Loop 1. And you and I both know that you can loop around the city through various highways like 45 to 130 to 45 down south (with a quick jump on 35) to mopac back to 45. (But I know what you're saying)

Old 06-16-2021, 05:34 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
I moved to Austin from Houston in the late 70's and Austin was busy then but not on the same scale as Houston. Houston was in a whole other league and probably the most congested city, traffic wise, in the nation at that time....But for as long as I been in Austin, Austin has always been busy and congested. I-35 was bumper to bumper most of the time, just as it is now. There were far fewer vehicles but there were also far fewer lanes and roads. MoPac was not complete to relieve I-35. US-HWY 183 from I-35 to 620 was a nightmare on Friday with probably at least 20 stop lights along the way. The same thing on Ben White from I-35 to Barton Creek Mall. It seems like Burnet Road and 183 was the busiest intersection in Austin at that time, but I could be mistaken about that. Sometimes it seemed like it could take forever to get thru it. It seems like it's only been since the 80's or 90's that I-35 was 2 lanes in each direction north of 183, not including the frontage roads and 2 lanes in each direction south of Ben White, not including the frontage roads.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:33 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
We moved from Atlanta 20 years ago and Austin is much better than Atlanta. But our problem is we have a city council that hates cars and is doing everything they can to discourage driving cars.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:09 PM

743 posts, read 1,372,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Mopac is a "loop." It's Loop 1.
And yet it's not a "loop".

https://www.kut.org/austin/2017-01-1...isery-of-mopac
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin