Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 08:43 PM

6,376 posts, read 5,000,641 times

Advertisements

May be visiting Austin around the end of Dec/early Jan with my parents. (They'd be flying in from Chicago --- they want to see me somewhere it's warm enough for us to do stuff outside.)

We all enjoy stuff like museums, historical sites, ethnic cultural centers, interesting parks with weird sculptures, stuff like that. What's good in and around ATX? We will have a rental car, and would be more interested in getting out into the city neighborhoods and doing stuff vs. just staying downtown.

Any cool sites in the "Hill Country" are also good, if there are any that stand out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2021, 09:01 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Drive to San Antonio and go for a walk along the mission trail, not the river walk. The missions are a world heritage site.

Old 11-27-2021, 09:30 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Historical sites, well the State Capitol obviously. Also some historic homes and mansions downtown (like the Ohenry house.) The Driskoll Hotel. Most of dirty 6th street is historic, but visit during the day. Ineresting parks? Umlauf Sculpture Garden, Barton Creek Hike & Bike Trail. Some more stuff out of the way:

LBJ Ranch - https://www.nps.gov/lyjo/index.htm

Fredericksburg (Nimitz Museum)

Hamilton Pool (Driftwood)

Winter can hit hard a couple of days during your timeframe. But if it doesn't happen to be those couple of days, the weather is usually great for outdoor stuff.

Old 11-28-2021, 07:10 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
May be visiting Austin around the end of Dec/early Jan with my parents. (They'd be flying in from Chicago --- they want to see me somewhere it's warm enough for us to do stuff outside.)

We all enjoy stuff like museums, historical sites, ethnic cultural centers, interesting parks with weird sculptures, stuff like that. What's good in and around ATX? We will have a rental car, and would be more interested in getting out into the city neighborhoods and doing stuff vs. just staying downtown.

Any cool sites in the "Hill Country" are also good, if there are any that stand out.
Austin really is the wrong city for that. Chicago has world class museums austin does not. If that is what you want, I would recommend not coming here.

Austin is more of a fun place to eat and party.

Old 11-28-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Austin really is the wrong city for that. Chicago has world class museums austin does not. If that is what you want, I would recommend not coming here.

Austin is more of a fun place to eat and party.
I didn’t want to be the person that said it, but I agree, to a degree. If history is the main goal and you want to see “Texas” you don’t come to Austin unless it’s a stop to get a tour of the Capitol. Like I said above, San Antonio is a great destination for history, even the Alamo can be fun for a one time trip. Although the institute of Texan cultures hasn’t changed in thirty years, the exhibits are fun, and focus on various backgrounds in Texas and their video presentation around the center of the institute is rad. The LBJ farm is super fun too and you can go to the Pacific war museum in Fredericksburg if you really want to do things in the hill country.

And for the love of god, if you go for a “hike” at lady bird lake don’t take up the whole trail, runners and cyclists use it daily and it’s annoying as heck to try to get around a group of ten tourists “hiking” a level zero trail.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:44 AM

283 posts, read 255,193 times
The Texas State Cemetery is pretty cool.

Actually, it's really cool.

Old 11-30-2021, 12:21 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashRiprock View Post
The Texas State Cemetery is pretty cool.

Actually, it's really cool.
Lots of good politicians buried there.

Old 11-30-2021, 01:32 PM

1,085 posts, read 692,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Lots of good politicians buried there.
The only good politicians are there.

To the OP’s point, a wander around Town Lake/Zilker, or even the duck boat cruise if folks are older is pretty cool. Definitely the Capitol building and grounds. Maybe the LBJ museum and library. Bullock
Museum.

Add in a wander on Rainey or Sixth or a cocktail at the Driskill, and a visit to some food trucks and you’ve got a couple of days.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I agree - do the Alamo, or you'll regret it. Also, I personally like the River Walk for just good fun. At that time of year, maybe even up till January 6, and especially around the New Year, you will probably see lots of lights and decorations along the River Walk. Go in the evening. Like, I'd do the Alamo and then the River Walk. If you do the River Walk at night, do a boat tour - the lights are worth it. Yes, I know it's chintzy but so what? It's fun.

I love the idea of the missions. Definitely do a tour of those. You can go without going on a tour with a tour guide.

Fredericksburg is a pretty cool town, with lots of Germanic influences. It's worth going to go see. Same with the Pedernales Falls - yes, I'm a geek but you'll be out that way so why not? And also, personally I'd go to Luckenbach TX one evening, heck they might have the dance hall open and even if not, there's nearly always some live music out there. I am from about six hours north of there and it never fails - I always, ALWAYS see someone I know there, even if they are from a whole other country, like some place in Europe! No lie. I'd definitely go to Luckenbach for a laid back evening. And you could hit up some wineries on the way there - they are thick as thieves in that part of Texas.

Just my two cents' worth, worth less than that! LOL

I have family in the Austin area so I've been over and over and over again though I don't live there. I've been there a lot as a tourist. If you want to know about bed and breakfasts or cabins or anything like that, DM me.

Welcome to Texas and I really hope you enjoy yourself! And yes, it can get quite cold that time of year but it can also be very moderate, even pleasant during the day, so watch the weather forecast carefully. It can get very windy and cold that time of year.

Austin is a fun town but it's a party/eating town more than anything. Great restaurants though. There are so many to choose from! Just be sure you eat plenty of Tex Mex and Mexican food while you're here! And drink plenty of Mexican beer and tequila! LOL

Old 11-30-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree - do the Alamo, or you'll regret it. Also, I personally like the River Walk for just good fun. At that time of year, maybe even up till January 6, and especially around the New Year, you will probably see lots of lights and decorations along the River Walk. Go in the evening. Like, I'd do the Alamo and then the River Walk. If you do the River Walk at night, do a boat tour - the lights are worth it. Yes, I know it's chintzy but so what? It's fun.
Oh! I forgot about the lights on the Riverwalk. They are gorgeous. If you go off the tourist path of the river down towards the Pearl, there is a big tree that is lt up by the dam. It's a fun photo opp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin