Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 07:43 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ashbeeigh again.
Same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2021, 09:11 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Why do we need a “signature tower”? Who cares? Once all the cranes leave the skyline it’ll be beautiful. One of my favorite photos to take of the skyline is a spot on lakeshore Blvd between the trees on the trail. (If coming from Pleasant valley it’s in the curve before you head up the little hill). I will take it every time the lighting is perfect, which is often. I’d be sad to see some monstrosity join the view. On a similar note, the view from the Montopolis bridge is great too.

Based on OP’s post history it sounds like they have a thing for architecture and towers, so I understand the question from that perspective, but they don’t have many posts in the Austin forum, so I don’t know how invested they are in Austin or understand our history and many of the “not MY Austin” responses, like mine. Not all cities need to be an urban oasis like New York City.

I can't add to your Reputation before spreading some around first, so I'll just say yes, this expresses it very well.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:47 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
I do think some skyscrapers are cool and appropriate. But if you read the posters on that Austin skyscraper forum, they want to turn the city into a mini version of Manhattan with closed in glass & steel canyons for downtown streets.
That’s crazy and unTexan, IMO.

Old 12-02-2021, 11:22 AM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I do think some skyscrapers are cool and appropriate. But if you read the posters on that Austin skyscraper forum, they want to turn the city into a mini version of Manhattan with closed in glass & steel canyons for downtown streets.
That’s crazy and unTexan, IMO.
Honestly, Downtown Austin seems to look quite different today than what it looked like even three years ago.

The skyline, (especially when looking at it on a clear day from a Standing East to Viewing West perspective and Hill Country in the backdrop) is starting to remind me of a very miniature Seattle (without certain landmarks & super talls) or Vancouver BC in terms of architecture & design.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-02-2021 at 11:30 AM..

Old 12-02-2021, 07:01 PM

392 posts, read 279,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Honestly, Downtown Austin seems to look quite different today than what it looked like even three years ago.

The skyline, (especially when looking at it on a clear day from a Standing East to Viewing West perspective and Hill Country in the backdrop) is starting to remind me of a very miniature Seattle (without certain landmarks & super talls) or Vancouver BC in terms of architecture & design.
One way to make the skyline stand out is to have the Signature Tower that I suggested actually built.

Old 12-02-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc1664 View Post
One way to make the skyline stand out is to have the Signature Tower that I suggested actually built.
I don’t think that Camaro was saying it needs to stand out, just comparing it to another city. Have you seen our skyline in person? What caused your interest in us having this thing?

Old 12-02-2021, 08:05 PM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Do we have any towertop restaurants in downtown that are open to the public?

I personally think rather than a signature tower, Austin would do better in investing in major points of interest such as an aquarium (that isn’t sitting inside of a strip mall outlet well outside of the core), or A museum of Science and Technology (since we have all these tech companies, would be something they could contribute exhibits towards while remaining an attraction to the public), and a larger museum dedicated toward the history of Texas, ect…

If we are going to be about the hype, we should atleast have some things that live up to it.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:35 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc1664 View Post
but the one in that link looks ugly :/

Old 12-02-2021, 08:36 PM

392 posts, read 279,161 times
Quote:

I personally think rather than a signature tower, Austin would do better in investing in major points of interest such as an aquarium (that isn’t sitting inside of a strip mall outlet well outside of the core), or A museum of Science and Technology (since we have all these tech companies, would be something they could contribute exhibits towards while remaining an attraction to the public), and a larger museum dedicated toward the history of Texas, ect…

If we are going to be about the hype, we should atleast have some things that live up to it.
The Human Rights Museum in Winnipeg has an observation tower attached to it and something like that could be attached to a world class aquarium or museum. The Glasgow Science Center includes an observation tower and that is another option for Austin. Also an observation tower with an aquarium in Thailand and one at the DeYoung Museum in San Francisco.
https://www.elevatorscenestudio.com/...x3rwf9k158sssr
https://www.glasgowsciencecentre.org...-glasgow-tower
https://itsbetterinthailand.com/acti...rvation-tower/
https://deyoung.famsf.org/hamon-observation-tower-0

Old 12-03-2021, 05:45 AM

Quote:

San Antonio has one in the Tower of America’s. I’ve never been? But it’s appropriately pricey, but not exclusive like I think Austin would want it to be. I’m thinking like a hipster spot Samsung, Tesla, and Dell would take people to close deals and hipsters would go “to be seen” like a lot of downtown spots are. The tower of americas is more of a place where old money goes for special occasions like birthdays and promotions.

The tower of America’s was built for the World’s Fair in the 60s, so it was built for a different reason and is a fun tourist trap to go up and look at the observation deck. You can almost see out to the suburbs, but not quite. (It’s more of an outskirts if the city thing you see).

If something like this would be built, I honestly see it being more like to Tower of America’s then what OP is suggesting. It speaks to the leas metropolitan laid back culture of the city. This is just a thought experiment for the OP who hasn’t acknowledged whether they even know anything about Austin except for what the hear on TV and the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin