Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2022, 08:11 AM

15,286 posts, read 35,740,145 times

Advertisements

I really hadn't thought about how long the Dudley and Bob show has been tracking along in the background of my life. I wonder if he will end up elsewhere?

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...arly-35-years/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 07:37 AM

283 posts, read 256,900 times
Oh wow, didn't even realize he was still on.

I was a regular listener back in the 90's through the early 2000's. He and I are nearly the same age and I identified with a lot of his stories growing up in small town Texas. At some point, though, the schtick got stale with me, especially the chemical dependency and mental illness stuff. There was only so much of that I could stand.

I remember a few years ago when they had him doing an afternoon talk show on the AM side, right after Rush Limbaugh. He'd spend the first segment or two complaining about Rush and the rest of the time trying to convince us/himself that of course HE, the Great Dudley, was objectivity personified, the very opposite of a partisan ideologue. Yet somehow he ended up espousing liberal positions on pretty much everything. I tried several times but it was just unlistenable.

In any event, 35 years in the morning drive slot at the same station seems like a pretty good run in radio. Best of luck to Dale Dudley in his next venture.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:18 AM

15,286 posts, read 35,740,145 times
Yeah, I was never personally a huge fan of the show - I kind of outgrew it around his type of show about the time I graduated college (this was pre-Bob); however, he did seem to have a huge following and it was hard not to be aware of the show.

Old 01-06-2022, 12:02 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,091,709 times
I came to Austin in 1985 age 23 and was a regular listener of Dale and Bob on KLBJ FM shortly thereafter. We're about the same age. I even remember stopping at a pay phone a few times between pizza deliveries to call in and try to win a contest.

By the mid-1990s, married with 2 young kids, working hard in my business, I guess I had matured or something because I came to find his material asinine and juvenile. I switched to KGSR and Jody Denburg, as was the right of passage for many of us former hard partying 20-somethings once we became married 30-somethings with kids. We mature. Dale never did.

Fast forward to a few years ago and I'd catch Dale trying to do the afternoon talkshow thing on KLBJ AM and I remember wincing a few times as it seemed a heavy lift for him to connect with that audience, which is not underpopulated by right-wingish hick-types.

And I wish him well. He was very transparent about his mental illness and other shortcomings. That takes a lot of courage. I hope he saved for retirement as I don't think anyone gets rich, outside the exceptions like Bobby Bones who go National, as radio "disc jockeys".

Old 01-06-2022, 04:56 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,921,612 times
I listened to him when I first came to UT in 1989. Everyone listened to KLBJ. He was the one who informed me (over the radio) of Stevie Ray Vaughan's death in 1990. Listened a few years after that and stopped.

Fast forward about 20 something years, and when Jeff Ward got fired I started listening when Dudley and Bob w/Matt when it was on in the afternoons. I got hooked and started listening to the podcast when they returned to mornings.

He was unique, and a great main host of the show -- interesting and painfully open about his life. But near the end, he certainly did himself no favors. I was listening when Matt walked off the show because Dale was over medicated. He seemed to have some opportunities there to save his job but he didn't seem to want to. So this wasn't really a surprise. Honestly I thought it was 50/50 when they went on holiday break, and closer to 90% that he wouldn't get renewed when his contract ran out in June 22.

Monday morning Matt comes back and the rest of the show is staying. So I'll probably still listen. If Dale does another show or podcast, I'll listen to that too.

I don't care at all for Waterloo Media, however. I think they've destroyed 2 Austin institutions at least IMO. I wish anyone else would buy that station. It will probably be worth a fraction of what they paid for it soon anyway.

Old 01-07-2022, 11:29 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,091,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I listened to him when I first came to UT in 1989. Everyone listened to KLBJ. He was the one who informed me (over the radio) of Stevie Ray Vaughan's death in 1990. Listened a few years after that and stopped.

Same. I heard about SVR on KLBJ FM then went down to the Rock at Zlker for the vigil. Austin was pretty cool in the 80s/90s. I think the real change started with dot com, though the groundwork for that had been laid way earlier.

Old 01-08-2022, 09:51 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,602,437 times
I haven't listened to an over-the-air radio broadcast since our second week here(in 2008).

Old 01-09-2022, 06:31 AM

12,974 posts, read 13,424,091 times
Never heard that show.
Quit listening to talk radio 25 years ago and tuned to 91.3 exclusively.
That saved my life (along with the cardiologists at Austin Heart).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: