Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should panhandling be ibanned in Austin?
Yes 24 63.16%
No 14 36.84%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 11:07 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
Pio Renteria's concerns mirror the same as mine:

Homeless people should not be integrated into residential neighborhoods until they get their s**t together and prove they can function in society.

Homeless shelters should be REMOTE locations away from residential neighborhoods, liquor stores, and drug dealers. They should be policed, and services provided on the premises.

If the homeless return to Austin and break laws (drug use, camping, trespassing, etc.) then ARREST THEM.

If the homeless prove they can function in society, but CAN'T afford Austin, then provide them the affordable housing that available in other cities throughout Texas. Houses are readily available for 200K or less that can house 4-5 people.

STOP ENABLING the behaviour, or you end up like Portland, OR.
FWIW, I believe the homeless camp on 183 is within Pio's district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 11:26 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
FWIW, I believe the homeless camp on 183 is within Pio's district.

The one on state-owned land in Montopolis? If so he had no real say on that one. Also it is not in a residential area.

Last edited by verybadgnome; 01-13-2022 at 11:46 AM..

Old 01-13-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
The one on state-owned land in Montopolis? If so he had no real say on that one. Also it is not in a residential area.
There is an apartment complex within walking distance of the camp. If you go under the turn around to the toll road there are homes. There are homes behind the camp in Riverside. It’s not overtly residential, but I know folks who live in the apartment complex who say they see people on bikes passing through at times.

Old 01-13-2022, 02:07 PM

1,108 posts, read 529,132 times
oh come on people the cops cant even respond the homes and business theft let alone respond to aggressive beggars.

if you stop feeding them like birds or other animals they will leave. your good intentions are resulting in actions that now you are beginning to see and some cases be part of.

stop the nonsense that giving them a buck or will help them - it wont it doesn't or this crap is only going to get worse - look at DTLA or SF? you want to live and work in that kind of hellhole?

Old 01-13-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
There is an apartment complex within walking distance of the camp. If you go under the turn around to the toll road there are homes. There are homes behind the camp in Riverside. It’s not overtly residential, but I know folks who live in the apartment complex who say they see people on bikes passing through at times.

The closest residential I could find was a MH community ~1,000 feet away. There is some residential, but it is not like the area around E. 2nd Street. For a "central area" that part of Montopolis it is pretty low for population density.

Old 01-13-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
The closest residential I could find was a MH community ~1,000 feet away. There is some residential, but it is not like the area around E. 2nd Street. For a "central area" that part of Montopolis it is pretty low for population density.
I'm talking about the camp on Bastrop Hwy. The address is 780 Bastrop Hwy. East Vue Ranch is 460 Bastrop Hwy. You're right. It's not not dense like 2nd street but to say it's not residential is incorrect. I also assume the reason for the lack of density is the industrial things on the north side of 183. I wouldn't doubt that in 20 years the land is sold and is also apartments. Also, I assume some of the land may be flood prone

Old 01-14-2022, 07:00 PM

1,085 posts, read 693,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
oh come on people the cops cant even respond the homes and business theft let alone respond to aggressive beggars.

if you stop feeding them like birds or other animals they will leave. your good intentions are resulting in actions that now you are beginning to see and some cases be part of.

stop the nonsense that giving them a buck or will help them - it wont it doesn't or this crap is only going to get worse - look at DTLA or SF? you want to live and work in that kind of hellhole?
You do not live in Austin. You have no vote, no voice and an invalid opinion. Move on.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I'm talking about the camp on Bastrop Hwy. The address is 780 Bastrop Hwy. East Vue Ranch is 460 Bastrop Hwy. You're right. It's not not dense like 2nd street but to say it's not residential is incorrect. I also assume the reason for the lack of density is the industrial things on the north side of 183. I wouldn't doubt that in 20 years the land is sold and is also apartments. Also, I assume some of the land may be flood prone

Yes, its the Esperanza community initially set up by the state. It's not in a floodplain (just checked Austin Flood Pro app) and I believe the reason they went for it was that it was one of the few state-owned properties that was unused and close to DT Austin. Also no one uses "Bastrop Hwy," it's universally known as 183. Anyway I'm glad it is there versus 2nd street and more to my initial point that no one regardless of their race, creed, religion, etc. wants an overabundance of homeless services in their neighborhood (and all of the chaos that creates).

Old 01-15-2022, 08:03 AM

574 posts, read 299,487 times
Let them stay. After all, liberal cities love handouts.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:06 AM

1,108 posts, read 529,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
You do not live in Austin. You have no vote, no voice and an invalid opinion. Move on.
lol - ever here of freedom of speech? plus my kids ands grandkids live there and i visit alot so yes i do have an interest in this subject.

like so many others i guess your attitude is if you dont live somewhere or belong to a group you cant speak?

that really promotes discussion and inclusion doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin