Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 06:26 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreenred View Post
Hi all,
I plan to move from the southwest to Texas, to be closer to my aging parents.

But also to finally make a move to living in the country, being closer to nature.

I am single, so not a family here, and work remotely. I tend to be introverted and don't need to have too many social activities.

I am thinking I'd like to be within 30 mins to an hour of Austin. Ideally looking to get an acre or two of land with home on it. Definitely not in a town but also not super remote. Ideally would like to have immediate access to the woods from my property.

Have only lived for about 6 months rurally before, so I am researching what it's like.

Thoughts on what counties/ areas to look at? I've been looking at Bastorp.

Any other suggestions on what I should consider?
Kempner .. im about 1 hr from Austin subrubs.. I paid 505k for 2 acres, new home, 4 bed 4 bath 3300 sq ft , no HOA, outside city lmits.. I also have AG exempt on my land and will have chickens in about a month.. I also have views of hill country, deer, etc

The builder currently is about to finishe 3 more houses on our street and they list them on MLS as soon as they are done....which will be in month or two
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2022, 12:29 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Kempner .. im about 1 hr from Austin subrubs.. I paid 505k for 2 acres, new home, 4 bed 4 bath 3300 sq ft , no HOA, outside city lmits.. I also have AG exempt on my land and will have chickens in about a month.. I also have views of hill country, deer, etc

The builder currently is about to finishe 3 more houses on our street and they list them on MLS as soon as they are done....which will be in month or two

They let you keep your ag on only 2 acres? We have our ag (we have substantially more than that so it's not a question here) but at least one acre of your place will be considered your homestead for which you can get homestead exemption but not ag. (In our case it's two acres for the homestead.) You say you have your ag - is the piece you purchased part of a property that already had its ag and it was cut off from it? In that case, last class I took on this (and personal experience) says you'll need to apply yourself to keep it.

I'm looking at Lampasas County Appraisal District info on ag requirements (since they're the ones who make the final decision). You might want to read them, too, to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed (and perhaps talk to the county agent to make sure you don't lose the ag and what you really need to do to keep it). There's the state law and then there's the things that counties determine individually (some counties count ranch horses as being ag, others require breeding in order for it to qualify, for example). This is mainly for the OP

(Click on Agricultural 1-D-1 Guidelines here.)

Old 02-20-2022, 12:48 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
They let you keep your ag on only 2 acres? We have our ag (we have substantially more than that so it's not a question here) but at least one acre of your place will be considered your homestead for which you can get homestead exemption but not ag. (In our case it's two acres for the homestead.) You say you have your ag - is the piece you purchased part of a property that already had its ag and it was cut off from it? In that case, last class I took on this (and personal experience) says you'll need to apply yourself to keep it.
Some subdivisions have things like a wildlife exemption for all the properties within as long as the property owners allow the wildlife that the exemption is granted for to go onto their property (they can be fenced from the 1 acre homestead but must have access to the rest of the property).

Old 02-20-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

I'm looking at Lampasas County Appraisal District info on ag requirements (since they're the ones who make the final decision). You might want to read them, too, to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed (and perhaps talk to the county agent to make sure you don't lose the ag and what you really need to do to keep it). There's the state law and then there's the things that counties determine individually (some counties count ranch horses as being ag, others require breeding in order for it to qualify, for example). This is mainly for the OP

(Click on Agricultural 1-D-1 Guidelines here.)
The land already had AG from last year . A ranch that is at the back of our property that is 170 acres sold the lots of land that were all AG. So it currently has AG status.

The county already sent me a application for 1-d-1 Open Space AG use appraisal . I talked to all my neighnors that also have AG exempt and one of them has chickens only and the county granted them AG exempt from the previous land that was used to build their house.

I am waiting for my chicken coop to arrive and doing some fencing next week for goats and some donkeys.. The back acre of my property will be dedicated to this.

The coop was suppose to be here 2 weeks ago and has been delayed. I finally got delivery notice for next Saturday. Once I get the animals I am calling them. I want to have the animals present on the land when I make this call.

I have not sent the AG form in yet but it says I have until May 1st to get it to the tax district. We also have tons of deer, foxes, hawks, etc in our back yard all the time..... I was going to ask about the wildlife as well.

I was not quite sure how to fill this form out but a neighbor said they would help as well.... we just moved in back in oct

Last edited by Jimmyp25; 02-20-2022 at 02:04 PM..

Old 02-20-2022, 10:12 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
The land already had AG from last year . A ranch that is at the back of our property that is 170 acres sold the lots of land that were all AG. So it currently has AG status.

The county already sent me a application for 1-d-1 Open Space AG use appraisal . I talked to all my neighnors that also have AG exempt and one of them has chickens only and the county granted them AG exempt from the previous land that was used to build their house.

I am waiting for my chicken coop to arrive and doing some fencing next week for goats and some donkeys.. The back acre of my property will be dedicated to this.

The coop was suppose to be here 2 weeks ago and has been delayed. I finally got delivery notice for next Saturday. Once I get the animals I am calling them. I want to have the animals present on the land when I make this call.

I have not sent the AG form in yet but it says I have until May 1st to get it to the tax district. We also have tons of deer, foxes, hawks, etc in our back yard all the time..... I was going to ask about the wildlife as well.

I was not quite sure how to fill this form out but a neighbor said they would help as well.... we just moved in back in oct

Just remember, the coupe can only have TWO doors.

If it has four doors, it would be a sedan

Old 02-21-2022, 08:22 AM

283 posts, read 255,265 times
Quote:
You're planning to put goats and donkeys (plural) on one acre of land?

Old 02-21-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashRiprock View Post
You're planning to put goats and donkeys (plural) on one acre of land?
They will be fenced off on the back acre.. I am going to let them roam all over the two acres though ... and put them away in the evening.... 2 donkeys and 6 goats will have plenty of land .

I see some people over here with cattle and they dont even have them on a acre of land .. Theres 10 acres next to me that someone else owns. I am trying to buy it but the owner lives far and has not responded to my letter.

Theres another person that has a horse and the horse is maybe on a 1/4 acre area

Last edited by Jimmyp25; 02-21-2022 at 10:00 AM..

Old 02-21-2022, 10:28 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Interesting. Most counties have either a codified set of rules or at least rules of thumb for the number of acres per type of livestock. It is county specific, though, and there is a lot of leeway for them to make their own rules. To be honest, though, AG exempting one acre is not going to make much (if any) difference in the value of your property. In fact, I suspect that the county doesn't care because your one acre + house is so much of the value and based on nearby comps that it becomes negligible.

Edit:
Looked up a random property just outside of Kempner. 1.6 acres with a land value of $27k. If that value was uniform, you would put about 16k into AG exemption. Again, I suspect that at least some of that is indirectly added back to your property value through comps.

Old 02-21-2022, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Some subdivisions have things like a wildlife exemption for all the properties within as long as the property owners allow the wildlife that the exemption is granted for to go onto their property (they can be fenced from the 1 acre homestead but must have access to the rest of the property).

I'm familiar with that. (Not only because we have our ag and I've had to defend it AND then convert it to wildlife but because until I recently retired I was a real estate agent specializing in rural properties and had to take many classes in the subject.)

It was the reference to chickens that threw me, if it's wildlife ag.

Old 02-21-2022, 07:45 PM

Quote:
They will be fenced off on the back acre.. I am going to let them roam all over the two acres though ... and put them away in the evening.... 2 donkeys and 6 goats will have plenty of land .

I see some people over here with cattle and they dont even have them on a acre of land .. Theres 10 acres next to me that someone else owns. I am trying to buy it but the owner lives far and has not responded to my letter.

Theres another person that has a horse and the horse is maybe on a 1/4 acre area

Have you raised livestock before?

And unless that horse is taken out regularly for trail rides, 1/4 acre is nowhere near enough land for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin