Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:48 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,707,536 times

Advertisements

No apartment, a house. Not near water, no big trees near the entryways (no trees at all, really).

Scorpions and Fire Ants and roaches, Oh My! Our own little Oz here isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 12:02 PM

368 posts, read 1,785,547 times
Oh, sorry, I mis-read. Um....

Well, at least unlike fire ants, they don't bite and leave lifelong scars. I have more than a few on my legs.

I'm at a loss, then. Sorry. Is there any new construction occuring nearby?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:18 AM

385 posts, read 1,248,518 times
OMG! GAGGG! I just found an egg pod by my bed I'm guessing there are more but I cannot look or I will spew. I called my hubby. Looks like we will be doing something about it this weekend. I have not seen that many roaches so perhaps we are catching it before an infestation happens. I pray to God that is the case!

Old 06-27-2008, 01:06 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothercalifornian View Post
OMG! GAGGG! I just found an egg pod by my bed I'm guessing there are more but I cannot look or I will spew. I called my hubby. Looks like we will be doing something about it this weekend. I have not seen that many roaches so perhaps we are catching it before an infestation happens. I pray to God that is the case!
What does an egg pod look like?

Old 06-27-2008, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,532 times
Hi, Hope you found a solution. I had a similar situation in Philadelphia. I moved to a new place and the first night I found out I had an infestation. The previous tenants must have had bugs crawling over them and said nothing (they even had a two-year old, yuck!). My landlord sent an exterminator and I went to stay with friends. The next day, they were dead roaches everywhere. Only way is a professional. It's more money, but then you can be sure. They should come by at least every couple of weeks to make sure they problem is solved.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:10 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,707,536 times
For an egg pod photo, scroll down to middle of the first page for a link posted by another member!

Old 06-28-2008, 08:54 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA View Post
For an egg pod photo, scroll down to middle of the first page for a link posted by another member!
Thanks! Oh, those are gross. How many will hatch from a pod?

Old 06-28-2008, 08:57 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
Thanks! Oh, those are gross. How many will hatch from a pod?
Millions and billions. No, it just seems like it, but a LOT.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,841 times
Default Help! Roach Attack!!!

MJ, please tell me which exterminator did you use?

We have a lovely rental in Austin. I just spent two months painting and doing a lot of renovation. Now, our new renters are being attacked by cockroaches. I am horrified. I am from out of state but I was in the home constantly (even lived there part-time) while the work was going on. I saw a few roaches, but nothing like they are describing now.

Our renters are very clean, I saw their previous apt., so I don't think they brought them with them. I had an exterminator out before they moved in and he sprayed everywhere. They had him back out because the roaches were even upstairs! On the ceiling!! According to my renters, the roaches are everywhere and this poor girl is pregnant with her first child, and constantly terrified by these bugs. They are not from Texas either, so we are not accustomed to roaches at all. And, of course we are all worried about her pregnancy and the chemicals.

Our son lived in this house for two years, and there didn't seem to be a big roach problem. We have rented this house since 2001 and never heard anything about roaches. (Then again, the management company was deaf to most tenant complaints according to the last tenant. Now, I manage it myself directly.)

I am hopeful that whomever came to your house can come out and stop this problem. So far, Howard Exterminating has not been very responsive except to say, "Hey, its hot and this is Texas, you are gonna have roaches...". That is not in line with what I am reading here from everyone.

I wonder if someone may need to come out and plug up any holes left by renovation work, in addition to spraying the perimeter and maybe quarterly service as well. I would appreciate the name of your company since they seem to have solved the problem. I will tell them about "roach hotels". I read something about boric acid too. ? Help, please!!

Thank you!

Old 08-15-2008, 04:52 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
Roaches love clutter, paper and cardboard, too. Just like all the other creatures right now, they are looking for water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin