Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2022, 09:02 AM

356 posts, read 410,459 times

Advertisements

So they're knocking down a house in my neighborhood, probably to build some castle on the lot. My understanding is that construction plans have to be filed and approved by the city, and these plans are available online. A few years ago,I got those plans in this way for another knock-down development near me, but I've forgotten where to go to get them. Anyone have a pointer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 06:43 PM

3,075 posts, read 8,423,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Lassiter View Post
So they're knocking down a house in my neighborhood, probably to build some castle on the lot. My understanding is that construction plans have to be filed and approved by the city, and these plans are available online. A few years ago,I got those plans in this way for another knock-down development near me, but I've forgotten where to go to get them. Anyone have a pointer?

Go to the City site the home is in and look for the Development Services page. From there to the plans examiners and/or building inspections page. At that point you are looking for the online permit viewing page. Some municipalities have the plans loaded under the permit and open for public viewing.

Old 11-19-2022, 10:20 AM

Hmmm. Well, that gets me close.

https://data.austintexas.gov/Buildin...Type/pm3h-84dq
when asked for single family house permits in a particular zip code, it allegedly finds a few, and then just grinds and grinds, and never comes back.

If you try to download the existing permits, you get a several gigabyte file.

I can't find a site where one just enters the address and gets the data.

Old 11-19-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Hmmm. Well, that gets me close.

https://data.austintexas.gov/Buildin...Type/pm3h-84dq
when asked for single family house permits in a particular zip code, it allegedly finds a few, and then just grinds and grinds, and never comes back.

If you try to download the existing permits, you get a several gigabyte file.

I can't find a site where one just enters the address and gets the data.

Your looking at a reports page. This is the page you want in the Building Inspections Department. There is a "How To" showing how to pull the plans.

https://www.austintexas.gov/page/building-inspections#

Old 11-20-2022, 07:43 AM

Thank you. But it still isn't clear where the "How to" is on pulling down plans. I can manage to get info on this project in the AB+C portal, but I can't find any explicit plans.

Old 11-20-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Thank you. But it still isn't clear where the "How to" is on pulling down plans. I can manage to get info on this project in the AB+C portal, but I can't find any explicit plans.

The "How To" is under the link on that page called "Printing Approved Plan Set".

https://www.austintexas.gov/page/bui...oved-plan-sets

If no plans are present it is possible they have not loaded them or the project is old enough that their retention policy required they be removed or hidden. Without a specific address I would not be able to help you further.

Old 11-20-2022, 10:56 AM

OMG, I got it! Geez, that wasn't easy. As you say, you need to go to "Priority Approved Plan Set", connect to AB+C, enter the address, wherin you get LOTS of Permit/Cases for that address. The you scroll down to "Expedited Review: New Construction of ..." that is marked as "Approved" (not "pending"), and click on "Yes" in the "Related Folder" column. That gets you a few pages of text details and, down at the bottom, you can "Download" "Plans" from the "Folder Attachment".

Whew. Many many thanks. Wish it wasn't that hard, but Austin Build & Connect sure has loads and loads of documentation to manage. Would be nice if you could just enter the address, and go directly to "Plans".

Old 11-20-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
OMG, I got it! Geez, that wasn't easy. As you say, you need to go to "Priority Approved Plan Set", connect to AB+C, enter the address, wherin you get LOTS of Permit/Cases for that address. The you scroll down to "Expedited Review: New Construction of ..." that is marked as "Approved" (not "pending"), and click on "Yes" in the "Related Folder" column. That gets you a few pages of text details and, down at the bottom, you can "Download" "Plans" from the "Folder Attachment".

Whew. Many many thanks. Wish it wasn't that hard, but Austin Build & Connect sure has loads and loads of documentation to manage. Would be nice if you could just enter the address, and go directly to "Plans".

It might be in a low level and take a little to find but it is well worth it. I like to have plans when I'm inspecting a home for phase inspections. The local municipalities here won't make the plans available. On site if plans are even available (suppose to be) we never know if they are the approved plans with possible red line changes or even if they're complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: