Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2023, 12:32 PM

6 posts, read 5,291 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

One of my kids is a current 3rd-grader in AISD, and we are thinking of the Kealing magnet program as an option for him. We have recently gotten an opportunity to spend a year abroad and plan to take it either in the upcoming year or next year. Do y'all know if spending a year out of AISD in either the 4th or 5th grade would rule him out for consideration for Kealing MS? We will retain our permanent Austin home, though we may rent it out.

Also, how large is the Kealing magnet program at this point?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2023, 12:52 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
From what I have heard, getting into Kealing is not difficult (I currently have a 7th and 9th grader, so haven't looked in a couple of years). There were ~1,300 students enrolled there in 2021/22, not sure on the current year.

Old 03-10-2023, 01:31 PM

But 1300 is the population of the whole Kealing MS, right, as opposed to the magnet program? I can't find a good source of data on how hard it is to get into the various magnet programs in AISD (Kealing but also LASA).

Old 03-10-2023, 02:01 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,134,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westheimer View Post
But 1300 is the population of the whole Kealing MS, right, as opposed to the magnet program? I can't find a good source of data on how hard it is to get into the various magnet programs in AISD (Kealing but also LASA).
I happened to talk to my friend this morning, whose daughter is attending, and she went on a tour recently. She said something like 600 in the magnet. But then she said 300 in academy (regular school) when the total population is 1280, so I have no idea if her magnet info is correct.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:02 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
I do not know what the 'zone' population is vs the 'magnet' population.. From the families of people I know with kids there, it wasn't especially hard to get into. I don't know of anyone off-hand that was denied, actually, and I have known quite a few over the years with kids that have gone there. I suppose people wouldn't advertise it if they didn't get in, though . But for both my daughters, all their friends that opted after 5th grade to go to Kealing or Lively got in.

A co-worker with a son at Kealing and one at LASA indicated the jump from Kealing to LASA seemed a formality. For Kealing, the kids have to do a video and a timed essay, which I think keeps a ton of kids away . My daughter did not want to get up an hour early just to go to a different school.

Old 03-25-2023, 03:34 PM

390 posts, read 671,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
From what I have heard, getting into Kealing is not difficult (I currently have a 7th and 9th grader, so haven't looked in a couple of years). There were ~1,300 students enrolled there in 2021/22, not sure on the current year.
I disagree with this (I've had two kids go through the magnet program in recent years). Kealing has had a rough couple of years with long term teachers leaving and a bumpy time with the administration (they have a new principal now that seems good, thankfully). However, I think the competition to get into Kealing is still pretty stiff. When my youngest was going through the application process four years ago, they had over a 1000 students apply for 250-275 spots. There have also been changes to the application process to ensure better representation of students throughout the whole district so the overwhelming majority of students aren't from a half dozen of elementary schools like it used to be, so depending on where you live in the district, it can be extremely challenging to get into the magnet program.

In recent years, all the magnet programs in AISD have been very strict about residency requirements, as they should. The expectation is that you need to be living in the district at the time of applying. If you are back by the time your student is applying in 5th grade, you'll be fine. If you are still abroad temporarily, there might be some leniency, but I would definitely talk to someone at the school about that for clarification. Also, policies could change in the next couple of years so I'd take everything you are learning right now with a grain of salt.

Old 04-04-2023, 01:43 PM

@AMJ27 Thank you! This is very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: