Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 03:39 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times

Advertisements

I'm less than 10 minutes from 4 HEB's and there are 3 that I usually go to the most: I usually go the HEB on Congress and Slaughter, Slaughter and Manchaca, and Wm Cannon and Brodie.and they all seem to be pretty well stocked. A few months back it seems like there were meat snd egg shortages but there seems to be plenty of both now, although the price of both seem to be higher, but I think that's a nationwide thing and not unique to HEB. Far as grocery stores, I don't think you can beat HEB. I think they've only improved as time has passed on and as other grocery chains unable to compete have left the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 04:40 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
HEB has been in Houston over 30 years at this point so Houston is no longer an emerging market for them (over 20 stores). Now DFW, that's an emerging market as they just opened their first full line supermarket HEB store there last year (after building several Central Markets the years before). They probably arent putting much focus in Austin as they try expanding into the crowded DFW grocery market after successfully winning over Houston's (HEBs are by far the most packed supermarket in Houston...like neck and neck with Walmart). All those products you see missing maybe we diverted to DFW shelves instead.
HEB still only has 20 stores in Houston. There's 28 in Austin. Houston in ~3 times the size of Austin, but has fewer stores there. There are also 35 Krogers in Houston. So, no, it hasn't taken over Houston like it has Austin.

Old 03-30-2023, 04:49 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,121,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
HEB still only has 20 stores in Houston. There's 28 in Austin. Houston in ~3 times the size of Austin, but has fewer stores there. There are also 35 Krogers in Houston. So, no, it hasn't taken over Houston like it has Austin.
thats so weird you would think they are everywhere.

Old 03-30-2023, 04:58 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
Quote:
I never said it had taken over Houston like they did Austin, but Houston is not an "emerging" market for them. They actually have more than 40 stores in the Houston area (20 is just Houston city limits), so yeah at this point Houston is an established market for HEB. An emerging market for HEB is DFW where they have just two open HEB supermarkets, with a handful more under construction.

Old 03-31-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
I never said it had taken over Houston like they did Austin, but Houston is not an "emerging" market for them. They actually have more than 40 stores in the Houston area (20 is just Houston city limits), so yeah at this point Houston is an established market for HEB. An emerging market for HEB is DFW where they have just two open HEB supermarkets, with a handful more under construction.
28 is just Austin city limits as well, not Austin area, so apples to apples comparison. (there's actually more than 50 store in the Austin area, if you want to use that number). I agree that DFW is an emerging market for them. But they have also in recent years made a push for more stores in Houston and to take a greater share of the market there.

Old 03-31-2023, 07:58 AM

55 posts, read 76,818 times
Quote:
Bee Cave is the best HEB of the ones on my regular rotation, but it's still not great.

Four Points HEB stopped carrying Grass Fed beef altogether, which really chaps my hide. They have the vacuum packed kind, but that tastes awful. Other locations still carry it, but this one (that's also closest to my house) has none. But, hey, thank God they just added that home decor section last week!

I used to love HEB, but I find that I just leave frustrated now.

I stop by the Randalls in Steiner on my way home now, since that's where I live. It's really not much more expensive than HEB on a lot of things. I agree that the meat and fish sections aren't great, but I rarely buy those things there. But they have a lot of the things that HEB has decided to just not carry anymore or has never carried.

We used to go to four points HEB a lot but we have stopped. Randalls at Steiner is not bad, and the prices are decent if you have their rewards card and good enough for your day to day needs

Old 03-31-2023, 03:27 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
I think that what CarnivalGal is trying to say is that Houston has a much more competitive grocery store scene. So in order to maintain their success in Houston, they have to keep quality or else they’ll lose market share to some of the many other established grocers in Houston.

Old 04-01-2023, 09:07 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
Quote:
28 is just Austin city limits as well, not Austin area, so apples to apples comparison. (there's actually more than 50 store in the Austin area, if you want to use that number). I agree that DFW is an emerging market for them. But they have also in recent years made a push for more stores in Houston and to take a greater share of the market there.
For sure they had a recent suburban expansion in Houston in the late 00s/early 2010s, but they expanded in many suburban areas in the state around that time trying to capture all the newcomers. Hopefully they show your Austin stores more love and get those shelves stocked. Is HEB the only store there with this issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I think that what CarnivalGal is trying to say is that Houston has a much more competitive grocery store scene. So in order to maintain their success in Houston, they have to keep quality or else they’ll lose market share to some of the many other established grocers in Houston.
Yes I alluded to that when I mentioned how they are putting more focus on DFW stores after they have won over Houston, which might be one reason why Austin has bare shelves.

Old 04-01-2023, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Is HEB the only store there with this issue?
Yes. And in my area, HEB is also really the only store. We have a Target, but they don't have a grocery. And we have a Randalls, but it's a smaller one. HEB is basically a monopoly in a lot of parts of the Austin area (and San Antonio).

Old 04-02-2023, 11:02 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,392,777 times
I'm pretty sure that individual HEB stores are run fairly independently of each other. That's why products in each story vary a lot based on the location. Personally I don't buy some kind of strategy of neglecting one market and focusing on others. I'm not sure if I agree that HEB quality has declined in Austin, but if it it has I think it's probably more that the stores are just overcrowded like many things in Austin because the city has grown very fast and the market hasn't had time to catch up.

I live somewhat close to the Mueller HEB and there is definitely nothing "wrong" with that HEB. It's extremely nice, going there is just a nightmare because of how ridiculously crowded it is at all times. They just built that 5-6 years ago and they already need another a mile or two away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin