Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 04:00 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed this? It seems like HEB just kind of sucks now. At first, I though it was just "my" HEB, so I've expanded the area where I shop. I now cycle between 5 different ones, and they are all just awful. I'm in Steiner, but I mentioned it to a friend in South Austin, and she said she's noticed the same thing.

Shelves are just empty. I know there are still supply chain issues, but every other store has managed to sort that issue out. What they aren't out of, they just stopped carrying. They have really doubled down on not carrying things anymore and replacing them with their store brand. I hate that.

Last time I was in Houston, I went to a new HEB, and it was great. My South Austin friend's theory is that since Houston is still an emerging market for them, they are trying pretty hard there. But since they are basically a monopoly in Austin, they just don't care here.

I have found that I am spending more money at Sprouts, Randalls, and Target then I am at HEB. I buy all my toiletries at Target now, since HEB is either out of or just stopped carrying so many things I normally buy. I buy almost all of my produce at Sprouts now - better selection and usually cheaper. And I hit up Randalls on my way home from HEB to get all the other things they were out of. But it would sure be nice to just get it all at one store again.

FWIW, I've noticed the Four Points store is the worst (although the Lakeline one gets an honorable mention). I couldn't get lettuce today (out of it - all of it - again today), but thank God they just added a home decor section so I could buy an end table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2023, 05:36 PM

1,719 posts, read 730,572 times
I've noticed this, too. Every HEB I've gone to in the last couple years -- Wimberley, Dripping Springs, Oak Hill, Four Points, and several others -- are understocked and don't carry a lot of items anymore. Also, their produce quality has gone way down. Under-ripe, over-ripe, and just plain bad. I have to purchase three heads of garlic to get the equivalent of one good head, deeply core the too-soft interiors of onions, and cut out bad spots out of bell peppers. The meat and fish departments have remained good, though.

I don't shop at Randall's -- the Lakeway store is vastly over-priced on some items, many vegetables are badly spoiled, and I can smell ammonia from the fish counter from 50 feet away. Can you recommend any good Randall's?

Bee Cave Whole Foods is pretty good on produce, but their chicken and seafood are over-bleached and too full of water.

Regardless of what we pay or where we go, it's getting harder and harder to find good, raw ingredients with which to cook.

Please post more recommendations if you come across better stores, Carnival Gal!

Old 03-25-2023, 09:02 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,121,973 times
i use instacart havent really noticed this.

If I go to one I go to great hills or nw hills and they both seem fine.

Old 03-25-2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
I've noticed this, too. Every HEB I've gone to in the last couple years -- Wimberley, Dripping Springs, Oak Hill, Four Points, and several others -- are understocked and don't carry a lot of items anymore. Also, their produce quality has gone way down. Under-ripe, over-ripe, and just plain bad. I have to purchase three heads of garlic to get the equivalent of one good head, deeply core the too-soft interiors of onions, and cut out bad spots out of bell peppers. The meat and fish departments have remained good, though.

I don't shop at Randall's -- the Lakeway store is vastly over-priced on some items, many vegetables are badly spoiled, and I can smell ammonia from the fish counter from 50 feet away. Can you recommend any good Randall's?

Bee Cave Whole Foods is pretty good on produce, but their chicken and seafood are over-bleached and too full of water.

Regardless of what we pay or where we go, it's getting harder and harder to find good, raw ingredients with which to cook.

Please post more recommendations if you come across better stores, Carnival Gal!
Bee Cave is the best HEB of the ones on my regular rotation, but it's still not great.

Four Points HEB stopped carrying Grass Fed beef altogether, which really chaps my hide. They have the vacuum packed kind, but that tastes awful. Other locations still carry it, but this one (that's also closest to my house) has none. But, hey, thank God they just added that home decor section last week!

I used to love HEB, but I find that I just leave frustrated now.

I stop by the Randalls in Steiner on my way home now, since that's where I live. It's really not much more expensive than HEB on a lot of things. I agree that the meat and fish sections aren't great, but I rarely buy those things there. But they have a lot of the things that HEB has decided to just not carry anymore or has never carried.

Old 03-25-2023, 10:46 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Mine in SW Austin had some issues during Covid, but no issues with supply now unless I go at the end of the day and the crowds have bought out something. Early or mid day is never a problem and they seem to be stocking more aggressively during the day. I think their total sales volume is just up at my store and they can't keep the shelves stocked.

They do give their own brands more shelf space than they used to, but I still can find the name brands for items where I really prefer them, just on the bottom shelf with limited frontage....

Old 03-26-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Mine in SW Austin had some issues during Covid, but no issues with supply now unless I go at the end of the day and the crowds have bought out something. Early or mid day is never a problem and they seem to be stocking more aggressively during the day. I think their total sales volume is just up at my store and they can't keep the shelves stocked.

They do give their own brands more shelf space than they used to, but I still can find the name brands for items where I really prefer them, just on the bottom shelf with limited frontage....
Which SW stores? Those are the ones my friend said she has had issues with. She said the Wm Cannon and Brodie one has the same issues, and the same with the Circle C one. She said the one on Slaughter (can't remember the cross street) has been the one she's started going to, but she's having the same issues.

I did actually send an email about the products they no longer carry. I thought maybe it was just stuff thing they are out of a lot. I got a stock answer about demand, yada, yada, and how their new Field & Future brand is just as good!! (It's not).

BTW - I do like the HEB brands on some things, but not everything. I also have food allergies and sensitivities in my house, so there's some things that we can't switch brands on, which they no longer carry.

I've noticed issues no matter when I go, but I admittedly don't go during the day during the week - pesky job and all

Old 03-26-2023, 09:00 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
We use the one at Escarpment and Slaughter (I assume that is the CC store?). Again, I have had no problem getting stuff as long as I go early. I went shopping this morning and it is stock to the brim. I also like some HEB products, but not others. I.e HEB brand pretzels are awful, but the Rold Gold is still available, although I pretty much have to get down on my hands and knees to get them and it is only two columns of space.

Old 03-26-2023, 10:13 AM

9,849 posts, read 13,689,106 times
I rarely go to the ones mentioned. I'm usually at the Mueller or Hancock HEB and generally don't have any concerns. Still, I usually just shop the outside of the store, fruits/a few veggies, eggs, coffee, and a few frozen things, because I do Hello Fresh/Every Plate for meals. My bigger concern is inflation in general, eggs and frozen dinner prices and that's not H-E-B, that's just the world we live in. I've also noted that the Mueller HEB sees even more crowded than usual these days with the lines pushing into the aisles more frequently than not. I wonder if they would start over and try to make it a two-story HEB like the one on Lake Austin Blvd. But, it's a newer HEB, so I doubt that would be an option. I haven't been inside the CC HEB in a while, but I could always find what I needed there.

Old 03-26-2023, 10:15 AM

9,858 posts, read 6,570,632 times
I prefer Houston locations to Austin and San Antonio. Not sure why the Houston locations are so much better. The San Antonio stores are honestly all a disappointment from my experience. Which sucks because it’s a San Antonio based company.

Old 03-26-2023, 10:58 AM

17 posts, read 10,396 times
I concur. My wife and I call HEB "Here Everything Bites", lol. We've been going to Walmart and doing the online delivery from Kroger wherever possible. The HEB Plus in Kyle is horribly packed and frequently out of stock. They're refusing to build another store in the area, despite the exploding population. Really wish Kroger stores were down here. HEB is infiltrating DFW so why can't Kroger make their way back south?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin