Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 08:18 AM

55 posts, read 76,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
How did your value go down slightly when across the board in the metro area the appraisals are down quite a bit? Prices have gone down basically everywhere.

Wilco tends to be a bit more sensible when it comes to valuing the dirt.

I've seen properties in Manor whose values went up!!! Travis county appraisers seem to have their own rules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2023, 03:36 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
https://traviscad.org/propertysearch

Mine went down (slightly). But I'll still pay 10% more every year to catch up.
You won't

We are covering this in the Williamson county thread so I won't repeat it here

Old 04-21-2023, 06:43 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
You won't

We are covering this in the Williamson county thread so I won't repeat it here
I get it, and I probably worded that poorly. However, it doesn't change the fact that the taxes I pay have about tripled since we bought our house and are now more than our mortgage payment.

Old 04-21-2023, 06:35 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
We realized a few years back that retirement and Austin property taxes weren't going to work for us. Moved to Colorado where our prop taxes on a 2000sf house are $1300 a year. They were $11,000 last yr for our 1600sf Austin house. We have a low state income tax here but usually get a refund rather than paying anything. That makes a huge difference on a fixed income. Many of my old co-workers and friends have moved on too.

Old 04-21-2023, 08:00 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,564,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
We realized a few years back that retirement and Austin property taxes weren't going to work for us. Moved to Colorado where our prop taxes on a 2000sf house are $1300 a year. They were $11,000 last yr for our 1600sf Austin house. We have a low state income tax here but usually get a refund rather than paying anything. That makes a huge difference on a fixed income. Many of my old co-workers and friends have moved on too.
Not surprising

Old 04-24-2023, 09:13 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
We have looked at various states and tax setups for when we retire. PA has not been on our radar so I have not looked at it and am not very familiar with the mechanics. So I went to poke my nose into it.

It looks like PA rates are relatively high (compared to nationally) but prices aren't as bad. No exemptions for senior citizens UNLESS you qualify as low income (<$35,000/yr), which is quite possible for anybody living off SS and not too much else, I would think? If you meet the requirements, then all your property taxes are frozen (not reduced).

Picked a few random properties in York County that are for sale:
1200 sf
Last sold 15 years ago for $118k
currently asking $225k
$4.1k/yr in taxes

2,000 sf
Current appraisal $191k
Currently asking $350k
$6.6k/yr taxes

1,500 sf
Last sold 7 years ago for $150k
Currently asking $240k
$3.7k/yr in taxes

Taxes are lower, but not negligible, and much of the difference is in the value not the rate. I.e.my current effective rate (taxes/value) is 1.72 and these York properties are 1.8, give or take a tenth. If you are <$35k income, then that is a huge savings. If you are not, taxes will go up with inflation (I don't see any freeze) and 10 or 15 years down the road, your taxes may be pretty high. They may also, ofc, change the freeze requirements which would help fixed income.

I know next to nothing about PA, so not sure if York county is an outlier. PA does have a lower sales tax, it appears.....

There is a 4.5% inheritance tax on the value of an estate (including the house) when a descendant is the heir. 12-15% when to anyone else (sibling, in-law, etc). Home improvement and real estate sales have a 1% state tax.
Pretty crazy logging in here in a while and see this thread. We left Austin for PA but still have property and family in TX.
We do have income tax here in PA of course, and different counties and townships/boroughs will then have their own taxes. It can vary from one town to another and certainly impact home value. Tax man going to get his money one way or another.
So random to see York here! That's our neighboring county, would not want to live there, unless it came with acreage and a nice farmhouse from the 1800's.
We really like it here, miss Austin somewhat (well, 2000's Austin) but we're also close to Atlantic Beaches, Philly, DC, NYC. This winter was a bust for any good skiing.

Old 04-24-2023, 09:52 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
We have an office in York, but I have only been there once and only for a few hours. Seemed nice enough, although had a bit of a 'run down' feel without really being able to put your finger on it.

Old 04-25-2023, 01:36 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Finally got appraisal posted on TCAD

2.2% drop in appraisal
10% increase in net appraisal
Appraisal is still ~23% above net appraisal.

Old 04-27-2023, 10:34 PM

27 posts, read 21,758 times
6% increase in appraisal, and of course 10% increase in net appraisal. I guess that's better than last year where it was a 47% increase in appraisal...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: