Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2023, 06:05 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times

Advertisements

https://www.austintexas.gov/news/cit...-public-safety

"In the first week of the joint operation by the Austin Police Department (APD) and the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) to increase safety in the Capital City, the number of violent crimes dropped 25 percent from the average weekly number of violent crimes for the past year. In areas of the city where DPS officers were specifically deployed due to a high volume of calls for assistance, APD recorded a 58 percent reduction in violent crime."

I can say anecdotally commuting past Riverside and Oltorf there was a change of behavior that took root not long after regular DPS patrols were put in place. Most of the difference I have seen relates to speeding and yielding ROW which don't seem as prevalent now. Also to be perfectly frank, it has modified my driving as well, for the better. I don't see DPS presence lasting forever and one horrific event will cause the whole thing to disappear, but I do like the changes I have seen.

Side note at city council several CMs talked about the distribution of enforcement and targeted groups. DPS said they would provide the stats but that their effort is call-based and will react to the number and distribution of call around the city. Even if that is true I am sure some will have problems with that approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2023, 09:43 PM

11,777 posts, read 7,989,264 times
I've had to slow down some, otherwise I personally am glad they did it.

I saw one guy get pulled over for 75 in a 65 on MoPac though. Most people on MoPac are doing 70 + when possible. Sadly though most of their presence seems to be concentrated in Downtown and anywhere east of I-35.

183 used to have a few cops clocking people just south of the TX-45 interchange but I haven't seen that in years now.

I-35 itself between Round Rock and Downtown is pretty much still a free for all too.

Old 05-13-2023, 09:06 PM

Well that didn't last very long

https://cbsaustin.com/amp/news/local...s-announcement

Old 05-14-2023, 06:34 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Not because they didn’t want to stay and work from home but because Greg abbott’s pet project changed to taking care of the border instead of sticking it to Austin for its “defunding of the police.”

But, outside of the snark, it’s because they’re needed at the border. When/if this need lowers it might be nice to have them back. Despite the perceived racial profiling (whether it was due to crime reports or truly it was done implicitly or explicitly) crime did go down for the month they were here. https://www.fox7austin.com/news/texa...ontroversy.amp

Old 05-14-2023, 03:19 PM

Yeah I know. I was commenting on it because verybadgnome mentioned earlier in this topic that he didnt expect it to last and I found it kind of funny when I saw the headline and remembered his comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin