Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 11:11 PM

412 posts, read 1,752,095 times

Advertisements

What is meant by Houston doesn't have the zoning Dallas has?

Houston has no zoning. You know how the city zones areas for certain things- Houston has got 0. They could put a factory in between houses and a shopping mall in between factories. I actually think they do have some zoning that restricts some things but I'm not sure.. some one else probably knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 08:01 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinese View Post
The stereotypical Dallas resident is a Republican stockbroker in his mid-thirties who cruises around town in a pricey BMW.
I thought the stereotypical Dallas resident was a late 20s Circuit City sales guy one missed paycheck from having his Porsche repossessed?

Dallas, the home of $30K/year "millionaires".

Old 06-02-2008, 09:41 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Before I moved, the Heights area in Houston went to the City and demanded specific zoning for their area. It started because a cell phone company wanted to put up a tower in a residential area. They got the company to design it to blend in, but that neighborhood also has strict rules governing the types of homes that can be built. It's primarily victorian styles and bungalows so even if someone does a teardown, it has to be rebuilt in that style.

When I left Rice Village they were also just about fed up as well. I've been back through there and it's gotten pretty out of hand. I think the only thing they managed to do there was save the Oak trees. That area is known for its Oak lined streets and at one time the city wanted to take many of them out along Shepherd. I'm glad that that didn't happen.

The no zoning that's Houston is something else I didn't like about Houston. Not knowing what is going to happen to your neighborhood at any given time is really nerve racking.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:10 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
I thought the stereotypical Dallas resident was a late 20s Circuit City sales guy one missed paycheck from having his Porsche repossessed?

Dallas, the home of $30K/year "millionaires".
^^^ Exactly. And the guy's Porsche/BMW is probably leased. That's Dallas for you...

Old 06-03-2008, 01:17 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
Lived in Texas for 12 years, 10 in Austin, 2 in Dallas in the White Rock Lake area near SMU (most Austin like part of Dallas IMO...I wore Berks to the grocery store and it was just fine). But I love Austin and it is my favorite TX city hands down. I agree with what most everyone has said about Dallas - it's a big city, lots of concrete, not a lot of beauty but offers EVERYTHING in terms of shopping, much more career options, pro sports, etc. and it is generally less expensive than Austin in your avg scenario. However, I preferred Austin because I like a smaller city and the vibe of being in a college town. Now Fort Worth - loved going over for the museums, etc. It's a laid back town much like Denver used to be so if you can live there and work in Dallas, it would be worth a shot. Austin is a hard job market to break into IMO and watch out if another tech bust comes. My husband always found tech work in 2001-2002 when things were bleak but we also knew a few VC's who got him work and had a lot of classmates from McCombs to help him find work. But we always had to consider leaving Austin for career because in that realm, it's still a smaller town. We actually ended up moving to Seattle recently for a job at Amazon.com as my husband figured working at a start up would only get him so far in his career. Dallas has a lot of major employers and opportunities like most major cities. It all depends what you are looking for. I have no doubt you'd love the lifestyle in Austin though!

Old 06-03-2008, 03:26 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,994,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Before I moved, the Heights area in Houston went to the City and demanded specific zoning for their area... that neighborhood also has strict rules governing the types of homes that can be built. It's primarily victorian styles and bungalows so even if someone does a teardown, it has to be rebuilt in that style.
The no zoning that's Houston is something else I didn't like about Houston. Not knowing what is going to happen to your neighborhood at any given time is really nerve racking.
What people refer to as "the Heights" in Houston is actually made up of several different neighborhoods. Some of those neighborhoods have been designated as historical areas, which subjects them to certain regulations. Other neighborhoods (or blocks) within the Heights have passed restrictive covenants to regulate development, and still others are petitioning neighbors to apply for historic or other designations so as to regulate things such as height, minimum lot size and lot coverage.

Houston does not have zoning, but they do have numerous city ordinances that regulate development (though not nearly to the extent that typical zoning ordinances would).

In my opinion, part of what makes Houston unique and charming is the lack of zoning. I'm not a big fan of The Woodlands or other overly planned (in my opinion) developments. To each, their own I suppose.

I have lived in Austin, the Metroplex (Arlington and other mid-cities) and Houston. I agree that Dallas, in a very general sense, has a snobby, somewhat shallow "personality." Parts of Houston and Austin do too, but it's not as pervasive as in Dallas. Houston is much closer to Austin in terms of being laid back, and having smaller, local eateries with outdoor seating (though the "dress code" in Houston is, in some cases, more formal than Austin).

Personally, the flatness of both Houston and, to a lesser extent, Dallas make both significantly less appealing to me than Austin.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:29 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Now just a minute -- don't forget that the real Dallas is like texastrigirl describes -- check out Lakewood, East Dallas, North Oak Cliff, Oak Lawn, etc. for the Austin-like attitude. We get the bad reputation from transients in the northern suburbs and prickly/pretentious Parkies (residents of the Park Cities).

Just avoid anything in the Preston Road corridor which comes out of Highland Park and goes to Oklahoma...

Old 06-03-2008, 04:33 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
If I had to and a good job was involved, I could see living in Houston. I'd leave the state before I ever lived in Dallas! (Just the thought gives me the shivers!)

Pretty much the worst insult you can give in Austin is to say that something or someplace here is becoming "like Dallas!"

s
Yes.

If someone feels they want the major culture/arts/shopping/restaurants/sports and similar big-city amenities, I'd go with Houston. Dallas is practically in Oklahoma and far away from everything else. It can get very dry, unlike Austin and Houston which are lush and green with large trees everywhere. Austin has lakes and Houston has nearby beaches. And Dallas is not very laid-back socially in comparison.

If you don't need all that big-city stuff, Austin will suit you just fine.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:49 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckellyb View Post
Funny how those of us who grew up in Dallas feel Houston is pretty much pure evil. Sure, the beach is an hour away, but so are the refineries, traffic, and tarballs on your sandy feet. Also, Houston is a perfect example of why zoning is a good idea. Let's not discuss the humidity....
It's all foolishness. Or at least greatly exaggerated.

The refineries are limited to industrial suburbs east of town, like the city of Baytown. It's not like they're just spread all over Houston. Why do people generalize the industrial area to the entire city?

Traffic in Dallas is no less worse than Houston generally, especially in recent lists I've seen.

Although there is no zoning, there are HOAs and other restrictions to help make up for that. There are also many areas designated as scenic districts that may as well have zoning with the way they are.

Humidity is a compromise for not having ice/hail storms and droughts like Dallas.

Tarballs on the beaches haven't been a problem in a long time. See:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...day-loved.html

Galveston Beach pictures

I'm not a Texas native, and it amazes me how some of the worse culprits of Houston-bashing are other Texans themselves. With all it offers... the world's largest medical district, NASA, top-notch arts/culture/museums... it's so sad that the state can't seem to appreciate the huge asset of this city it has.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:00 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Sorry, we are not allowed to like Houston or Fort Worth! Everybody likes Austin, except the Aggies, and most of us dislike them! And it would be un-Texan not to like to visit San Antonio. And I won't even mention Waco, because I was raised a Baptist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin