Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 10:55 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times

Advertisements

I was simply making a point that you often hear people saying things like "i hope Austin never turns into Dallas or Houston". What I am saying is that is a stupid comment because it could NEVER happen no matter HOW big Austin may get down the road (although I suspect growth will be stunted in the next decade or so) . That is not comparing apples to apples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Ain't that the truth. Eepstein, you (and maybe artsyguy) are the only people here who would EVER want Austin to be like Houston or Dallas. What's up with the inferiority complex? If you want Houston or Dallas, why not just go there rather than lament about how Austin isn't big or important enough for you? I mean, it's cheap enough to live in either of those cities. Or do you just enjoy complaining?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 11:49 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Just imagine how big Dallas and Houston would be if in the future Austin grew to the size of today's Houston?

Would Houston have 20M people stretched from Galveston to Columbus and Hempstead?

Scary.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:49 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Just imagine how big Dallas and Houston would be if in the future Austin grew to the size of today's Houston?

Would Houston have 20M people stretched from Galveston to Columbus and Hempstead?

Scary.
It would look like Mexico City..

oh wait, it already does.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:13 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
It would look like Mexico City..

oh wait, it already does.
Houston wishes it looked like Mexico City. While the slums around Mexico City are awful the central core of the city - which is vast- is one of the most architecturally beautiful cities in the world, There are more 16th and 17th century buildings in the Centuro Historico than in Madrid, truly spectacular public art, the Zocalo is arguably the most magnificent plaza in the world. If only Houston had an art deco neighborhood like La Condesa, La Zona Rosa makes Montrose look like a shabby Waco subdivision. Polanco makes River Oaks look very cheap and nasty. Houston is a great city but to compare it to Mexico City - a city with over a thousand years of history, and a huge center of wealth and power for nearly as long - is very unfair to Houston. On a clear Spring Day with thousands of Jacaranda trees in bloom in Coyoacan, looking across the rooftops to the ring of mountains around the city, Mexico City can be one of the most beautiful cities on earth. I could not in all conscience ever say that about Houston. Like all megalopolises, Mexico City has very dangerous parts, but bourgeois Mexico City is a thousand times more vibrant and sophisticated than inner loop Houston. All Houston and Mexico City have in common is bad traffic, excellent restaurants - many more in Mexico City and dodgy air quality.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:25 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Houston wishes it looked like Mexico City. While the slums around Mexico City are awful the central core of the city - which is vast- is one of the most architecturally beautiful cities in the world, There are more 16th and 17th century buildings in the Centuro Historico than in Madrid, truly spectacular public art, the Zocalo is arguably the most magnificent plaza in the world. If only Houston had an art deco neighborhood like La Condesa, La Zona Rosa makes Montrose look like a shabby Waco subdivision. Polanco makes River Oaks look very cheap and nasty. Houston is a great city but to compare it to Mexico City - a city with over a thousand years of history, and a huge center of wealth and power for nearly as long - is very unfair to Houston. On a clear Spring Day with thousands of Jacaranda trees in bloom in Coyoacan, looking across the rooftops to the ring of mountains around the city, Mexico City can be one of the most beautiful cities on earth. I could not in all conscience ever say that about Houston. Like all megalopolises, Mexico City has very dangerous parts, but bourgeois Mexico City is a thousand times more vibrant and sophisticated than inner loop Houston. All Houston and Mexico City have in common is bad traffic, excellent restaurants - many more in Mexico City and dodgy air quality.
I wish Mexico City had as much hype as Austin.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:34 PM

6 posts, read 11,894 times
Check out this link to find out about Austin/Texas Hill Country...

http://www.unitedcountrycentraltexas.com/brochure.pdf

Old 03-31-2010, 01:50 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVentanaTruth View Post
Check out this link to find out about Austin/Texas Hill Country...

http://www.unitedcountrycentraltexas.com/brochure.pdf
Yep, I'd say that's pretty much the hype people are complaining about.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:23 AM

8 posts, read 35,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
I think the name, Texas wannabe, gives it all away. Only someone looking and yearning from afar can lust after a city ala top 10 lists. Reality check....I am currently looking out my window at a strip-mall across the street, with a H-E-B, wendys, and non-stop traffic, in a complex on Mcneil and Parmer. I see nothing special here, and 87% of Austin looks the same. The other 13% is in a very small central part of the city. In other words, the VAST majority of Austinites do not live in "cool" neighborhoods, the kind people who read top ten lists in Pittsburgh wax about, imagining how incredible their soon to be residency will be. Again, they live the same as people in other cities, full of big box stores and strip malls. Austin is simply just another city, albeit a fast growing one. Keep in mind that it almost invariably sucks to live in a fast growing city, as the roads never catch up, which leads to nasty road rage.
Talk to anyone from Vegas, Phoenix, or even LA, for that matter!

Growth is only good for developers and real estate agents. Everyone else suffers and as to bear with antiquated road infrastructure and road rage.

Again, reality never lives up to top ten list hype!

Your theory of the rapid growth of Austin due to Top Ten Lists is very wrong. You are underestimating people as a whole, believing that they would move here based solely on someone else's opinion. No one is stupid enough to do that. The majority of the people have been to Austin multiple times, and get a taste of it first.

Who moves to a city they have never been to?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:28 AM

8 posts, read 35,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
Trust me, it isn't one of them! LOL! Great cities have tremendous cultural districts, museums, great public squares and meeting places, and great design and public grids/transit. Austin has none of those, so it is not a great city, but it is one of the better college cities, a la Madison, Wisc., which is not an awful thing....
No city can be great, because no city is loved by everyone. Austin is the greatest city to me, but not to you. There's no way you can determine whether a city is the greatest city, because there will always be people to hate it so much.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:33 PM

12 posts, read 23,485 times
I was there for a month so take my opinions with a grain of salt. Lots of good mountain biking areas in Austin and north in Georgetown, kayaking, dog parks, good restaurants downtown, hip bars, and surrounding suburban areas are relatively low on crime compared to where I live. Yes it's hot and the traffic aint the greatest. Lots of tech folks there... Educated but not elitist but a tad geeky.

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin