Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 11:09 AM

95 posts, read 358,349 times

Advertisements

Getting closer to moving to Round Rock. How far are the major shopping centers and eating establishments?

Looking for grocery shopping, malls and the basic everyday stores.

As for food, we do like BBQ but what else is out there besides tex-mex. Ice Cream, Bar and Grills...etc?

Something tells me from the others posts I am in for a real culture shock coming from a big city where everything you can imagine has been built and will be served as well as a 24 hour enviroment. I guess my late night trips to Walmart are out of the picture.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 11:36 AM

225 posts, read 851,137 times
right in Round Rock, we have several places we like,
Greek- Zorba
Indian-Chola and Teji's
Mexican- Taco Arandinas-hole in the wall, cheap, good!
Chinese-Vet.-HAO HAO
just to name a few.
So many DT, which is 25 min. w/out traffic.

shopping, Outlets in Round Rock, strip mall basics or lakeline for mall which is in Cedar Park. Domain is about 20 min. away, more upscale and they are adding on all the time there.

Oh grocery- HEB is the main place here in TX. Randall's. Whole Foods, about 20 min. away. Central Market-HEB is a great place, and it is about 30 min. away.

Last edited by newrrmom; 06-19-2008 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: grocery

Old 06-19-2008, 12:11 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,572,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy8s View Post
I guess my late night trips to Walmart are out of the picture.
I know that the Walmart in Cedar Park is open 24 hours. I'm not sure about the one in Round Rock. As far as proximity to things goes, Round Rock covers a large area now. Some of it will depend on where in Round Rock that you end up. I live in Round Rock, but the Walmart, HEB, and Super Target in Cedar Park are much closer to my house than the ones in Round Rock. People in TeraVista are probably better off going to the Wolf Ranch shopping center in Georgetown to go shopping if they don't want to go to the Outlet mall. Wolf Ranch has Target, Kohls, Best Buy, Michael's, Old Navy, etc. You'll find that there is a lot of major shopping right in or around Round Rock.

Kawaii Shaved Ice on Mays in Round Rock is a great place to go on a Summer night. It's even better than the slushes that you can get at Sonic.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:23 PM

28 posts, read 111,089 times
The Wal-Mart is open 24 hrs I do believe. (I'd much rather go to HEB...) Close for good burgers is the Red Wagon, I think somebody mentioned Hao-Hao, and I just recently tried the Lousiana Longhorn, I think its called, in Downtown Round Rock, good food, good service. Lots close, all depends on what you like!

Old 06-19-2008, 01:32 PM

739 posts, read 3,056,771 times
You have to try Louisiana Longhorns. Great New Orleans type food.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:10 PM

485 posts, read 1,958,952 times
I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised. There are a few 24 hr Walmarts and a wide variety of eating establishments. There are some 24 hour fast food places, 24 hour IHOP/Dennys etc... Round Rock may have USED to have been a small town, but it's got a lot going for it in the areas you've mentioned. I mean, that's where all the people are, so of course the businesses have followed.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:36 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,690,009 times
All great suggestions. Our Hutto paper did a best of poll for Eastern Williamson County. You may be able to find the article online at HuttoNews.com, but I'll list a few for you...BTW, I will second Red Wagon for Hamburgers

Best Bar: Moe's Lounge
Best Dance Hall: Coupland Inn and Dance Hall
Best Picnic spot: Granger Lake
Best Taylor event: BBQ Cookoff (BBQ..who would've guessed )
Best BBQ: Louis Mueller (others mentioned were Taylor Cafe, Rudy Mikeskas, David's, Davis Grocery, Taylor BBQ, City Cafe.)
Best Chicken: Chicken Express
Best Chicken Fried Steak: Texan Cafe (Louisiana Longhorn was also nominated)
Best Chinese: Szechuan Chinese Resturaunt (I think a lot of people in Taylor filled in this poll. There are better ones around)
Best Desserts: The Texan Cafe
Best Hamburger: Ed's Place (also nom'd were Little Red Wagon, Circleville store, Randy's Ice House Mikeskas)
Best Mexican Food: El Corral Lozano (Rio Grande was also nom'd & there is a location on Mays in RR. There are lots of good ones in RR)

This year it seemed skewed towards Taylor, but I tried to add in the things in RR that were nominated. I'll look on our moms group page and list more rec's.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:34 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,465,334 times
We drive from Leander to go to Pok-E-Jo's (I35 & 79). Our favorites: brisket sandwiches, fried okra and burgers.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:39 PM

485 posts, read 1,958,952 times
Pok E Jo's is my fave BBQ joint. Sauce isn't as spicy as Rudy's.

I put a vote in for great RR restaurant: Gumbo's...get a reservation, put on your Sunday best and enjoy a really good cajun-inspired meal.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:40 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,315,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinAustin View Post
Pok E Jo's is my fave BBQ joint. Sauce isn't as spicy as Rudy's.

I put a vote in for great RR restaurant: Gumbo's...get a reservation, put on your Sunday best and enjoy a really good cajun-inspired meal.
Second Pokejoe's. The sausage....yum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin