Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 08:52 PM

62 posts, read 180,120 times

Advertisements

I have been noticing more scooters around Austin lately, and am tempted to get one. My neigbor has one and he told me he has not felt intimidated in traffic, at all.

Are there many scooter-riders reading these boards? What are your experiences in cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 08:56 PM

368 posts, read 1,784,951 times
What kind does your neighbor have, and more importantly, what size engine does it have?

The 150cc engine, and larger, ones are enjoyable to ride. The smaller ones...you're near 100% engine load all the time which isn't ever fun...unless you're racing something.

I'm an ex-motorcyclist, one who can't seem to stop considering a large scooter, but I started my riding 'career' on a 72cc Honda.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:37 AM

His is a 150 cc and he said it is pretty powerful. But I would have to get a motorcycle license first, so that is an obstacle, I think, since I don't see how I could ride a motorcycle in order to get that qualification put onto my driver's license.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:00 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaustinegalitarian View Post
His is a 150 cc and he said it is pretty powerful. But I would have to get a motorcycle license first, so that is an obstacle, I think, since I don't see how I could ride a motorcycle in order to get that qualification put onto my driver's license.
I think it's just a written test no?

I really want one but I admit I'm a bit of wuss about it...when I was a little kid I wanted a dirt bike so bad, but Mom just wouldn't allow it. A family friend got mighty effed' up on one, and she was first on the scene of a young man who wrecked his motorcycle and didn't make it...Over the years, I suppose I've taken on her fear of bikes...and scooters are to be treated as such, once they are out in traffic

Old 06-26-2008, 11:56 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
No it is both just like gettin a drivers liscense. A written test and a drivers test

Old 06-26-2008, 12:10 PM

Yeah, it's both written and road, but honestly, it's so simple, it isn't a 'test' at all. Do you put both feet down at a stop...do you look both left and right at a stop. Do you wobble... All very, very rudimentary items.

Having been nearly killed on a motorcycle back in '01, unfortunately, my wife was with me, I've given it up, though I still long to do it. It wasn't a Harley or a sportbike...it was a new Goldwing. Single-vehicle accident, lost traction on a mountain road which had cement dust poured over a diesel-fuel spill, so I couldn't see it. After low-siding, the road turned, we couldn't, so we fell off about a 20 foot cliff, into a snowmelt-swollen river (the Clackamas river, just east of Portland, OR). We should both be dead, but we're not. I cannot recommned raft-less white-water rafting. It's rough on the bones. I broke 15, my wife 12. Good, and proper, gear can literally save your life. Shorts and half-helmets are not of any true worth if you're moving faster than a slow walking speed.

The really enjoyable hobbies can kill you.... As can a tree if you're walking by at an inopportune time, so make certain you do what you enjoy!

Old 06-26-2008, 12:22 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckellyb View Post
Yeah, it's both written and road, but honestly, it's so simple, it isn't a 'test' at all. Do you put both feet down at a stop...do you look both left and right at a stop. Do you wobble... All very, very rudimentary items.

Having been nearly killed on a motorcycle back in '01, unfortunately, my wife was with me, I've given it up, though I still long to do it. It wasn't a Harley or a sportbike...it was a new Goldwing. Single-vehicle accident, lost traction on a mountain road which had cement dust poured over a diesel-fuel spill, so I couldn't see it. After low-siding, the road turned, we couldn't, so we fell off about a 20 foot cliff, into a snowmelt-swollen river (the Clackamas river, just east of Portland, OR). We should both be dead, but we're not. I cannot recommned raft-less white-water rafting. It's rough on the bones. I broke 15, my wife 12. Good, and proper, gear can literally save your life. Shorts and half-helmets are not of any true worth if you're moving faster than a slow walking speed.

The really enjoyable hobbies can kill you.... As can a tree if you're walking by at an inopportune time, so make certain you do what you enjoy!

That's an amazing story. As a survivor of a horrible auto wreck many years ago, I can relate. I suppose the river was a blessing?

In the blink of an eye...

Old 06-26-2008, 04:27 PM

wow.

my actual "hobby" is orchid-growing...... tame by comparison, for sure!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:04 PM

Nah, the river made it worse. More than doubled the bodily damage I suffered, and it's what did most of my wife's damage.

At least when the people we were with pulled me out, I started breathing, again. I was floating face down, so I'm glad they got me out when they did.

The only good part of this is the knock to the noggin was so hard, and the helmets were under 60 days old, replacments for the 3 year old ones we had, just for safety's sake, I don't remember about a week before the accident to 6 weeks after.

Being in the canyon we were prevented heliocopter rescue, and the nearest cellular service was a solid 20 minutes away. Took 120 minutes to get us squared away, or so I'm told. My wife remembers all of it...unfortunately.

I literally didn't have a scratch...save for the three compound fractures. Good gear will save your life...literally. Sure, it's not inexpensive, but skin is priceless.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:33 PM

Well, your story is a good argument for the development of air-bag suits!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin