Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 07:46 PM

9 posts, read 31,197 times

Advertisements

My wife is concerned about giving birth at Scott And White University Medical Campus (Round Rock). S&W is our only option, since I'm employed there and under their health insurances.

She's requested a tour, but is anxious to have an answer to the following question.

After delivery, does the baby stay with the mother until they go home, or do the babies go off to a seperate nursery?

Any exeperiences or knowledge on this subject would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 08:55 PM
RND

56 posts, read 268,244 times
I'm an OB nurse. I interviewed there before they opened but chose not to go to work there. Unless they have changed things, they do 24 hour rooming in there and they also follow an LDRP model which means that your wife will stay in the same room from delivery to discharge (with the exception of the obvious trip to the OR if she has a c-section). I have a few ex-coworkers who work on that unit and love it there. Good luck to you and your wife.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:51 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,798 times
You should go on a tour of the facility... or at the very least give them a call and ask your questions.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:35 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,552 times
Your wife shouldn't touch anything AT ALL in the facility if you go on that tour. And wash carefully afterwards. Your wife is very vulnerable to germs and staph infections while she's pregant and they run rampant in hospitals.

I had a very bad experience and will never step foot inside a hospital again when pregnant. Just please be careful.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:12 PM

314 posts, read 1,230,135 times
I cried after our first tour of the hospital where I had both of my children. The section of the hospital where I delivered was old and outdated- (they were remodeling, but the maternity ward was still in the old area for my first baby). I loved my doctor and it was the only place she delivered, so I decided not to change doctors. (Crazy to think that I would have considered changing doctors for the hospital decor.)

I can honestly say that I never noticed the old curtains or outdated floors during my first delivery. Also for the day I was in the hospital after my first born, I only had eyes for my daughter and I was so blissfully happy that I would not have cared if I was in a barn. For the second baby, everything was updated and beautiful - I did not even notice or care.

Also it is nice for the baby to be with you after the delivery, but it is also good to get your sleep. Once you get home, your wife will wish she had just let the nurses bring her the baby when he/she is ready for feedings during the night. I kept my first born in the room the whole time and my second born was sent to the nursery at night. I am equally close to both of them.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:21 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,798 times
My hospital gave you a choice of keeping the baby in your room or sending to the nursery. I kept mine with me -- We were breastfeeding and I didn't want the baby to accidentally get formula.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:11 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Not sure about that hospital explicitly, but I think it is standard practice almost everywhere to keep the baby in the room with the mother, unless there is some extenuating circumstances. The nurses took our baby out of the room for tests (she was very jaundice) and offered to roll here around the hall a couple times to calm her (jiggling baby carts do wonders ). It was a very extended delivery, so the respite was incredibly welcome, even for a few minutes.....

Old 07-02-2008, 05:09 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,464,918 times
I agree, Jenkirk. My last born (#5) had a breathing problem right after birth so they kept him in the nursery at night for observation and brought him to me for feedings. Wish I would've done that with the other 4!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin