Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 09:31 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,936 times

Advertisements

Is there a downtown area in Round Rock, or is it mostly a suburb of Austin with no central downtown area of its own? Is the cost of living higher in RR for a single female seeing a studio or one bedroom apartment? How are utility costs (AC in the summer) for small apartments? Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 09:41 AM

372 posts, read 1,149,278 times
There is a small old fashioned downtown in Round Rock. It starts at the corner of Mays and Round Rock Ave which is what 620 turns into on the east side of I35. Just look for the Round Rock water tower and you will be close to downtown. There are several restaurants, shops, and the library in downtown. As for utility costs and apartment costs, your best bet would be to talk to an apartment locator. They have a wealth of information about apartments in the area.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:30 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Is there a downtown area in Round Rock, or is it mostly a suburb of Austin with no central downtown area of its own? Is the cost of living higher in RR for a single female seeing a studio or one bedroom apartment? How are utility costs (AC in the summer) for small apartments? Thanks for the info.
You need to specify what you mean by "downtown area". Are you talking about an area full of shops and restaurants and clubs where you could spend all saturday night with your friends or enjoy a relaxing Sunday afternoon walking from shop to shop? If that's the case, then no, Round Rock does not have a down town.

There are a few restaraunts in downtown Round Rock and public buildings, but not enough to sustain an active "go out on the town" lifestyle. If you are willing to drive around, there is plenty to do in Round Rock. But that is true of Austin, and Cedar Park and almost every town in Texas. Texas is a driving state. There are no downtown areas that can sustain an active lifestyle solely by walking. Mostly because to live "downtown" is prohibitively expensive.

I ask this because a lot of my friends are from New York and when they say "downtown" they mean "Let's go waste a weekend walking around. THERE IS SO MUCH WE CAN DO". That is not typical of Texas. You might get one weekend out of it, but eventually you get bored with the same old shops. For all intents and purposes (if I am guessing your needs correctly) you will think Round Rock is simply a suburb of Austin where families escape too because it is more affordable. Round Rock is to Austin what Long Island is to Manhattan.

As far as the apartment and utility situation, you don't provide enough information for us to give you any concrete advice. You need to google a lease locator. They are trained to steer you in the right direction, to tell you what is reasonable to expect in your budget, and most of them are free of charge.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:36 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
You need to specify what you mean by "downtown area". Are you talking about an area full of shops and restaurants and clubs where you could spend all saturday night with your friends or enjoy a relaxing Sunday afternoon walking from shop to shop? If that's the case, then no, Round Rock does not have a down town.

There are a few restaraunts in downtown Round Rock and public buildings, but not enough to sustain an active "go out on the town" lifestyle. If you are willing to drive around, there is plenty to do in Round Rock. But that is true of Austin, and Cedar Park and almost every town in Texas. Texas is a driving state. There are no downtown areas that can sustain an active lifestyle solely by walking. Mostly because to live "downtown" is prohibitively expensive.

I ask this because a lot of my friends are from New York and when they say "downtown" they mean "Let's go waste a weekend walking around. THERE IS SO MUCH WE CAN DO". That is not typical of Texas. You might get one weekend out of it, but eventually you get bored with the same old shops. For all intents and purposes (if I am guessing your needs correctly) you will think Round Rock is simply a suburb of Austin where families escape too because it is more affordable. Round Rock is to Austin what Long Island is to Manhattan.

As far as the apartment and utility situation, you don't provide enough information for us to give you any concrete advice. You need to google a lease locator. They are trained to steer you in the right direction, to tell you what is reasonable to expect in your budget, and most of them are free of charge.
This is information and I appreciate your response. I plan to follow up with apartment complexes and find out what kind of estimate for utilities one can expect for a small apartment (1 bedroom). Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin