Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:54 PM

184 posts, read 1,007,364 times

Advertisements

Recently bought bedroom furniture from Ashleys and the third day it started falling apart. I called them up and said I wanted a refund but was told I would have to pay $100 pickup fee! Can't believe such a large furniture shop has such policies. Remember this is just 3 days after delivery; we had barely used it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 01:55 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2austin View Post
Recently bought bedroom furniture from Ashleys and the third day it started falling apart. I called them up and said I wanted a refund but was told I would have to pay $100 pickup fee! Can't believe such a large furniture shop has such policies. Remember this is just 3 days after delivery; we had barely used it.
How is it falling apart? What caused it to start falling apart? Loose bolts, broken rails, broken slats, Veneer coming off. Did they offer to fix what is broken? How much did the item cost you? Did you have it delivered and set up? how much did they charge you for that?

I can just about guarantee that, their cost to pick up your furniture is in the neighborhood of $120.00. Remember diesel trucks are $50 per hundred miles. Return trip with two $12.50 workers, Truck lease, wear and tear, Insurance....the cost goes on so unless it is a REAL manufactures issue they should be cautious with how much they just go out and pick up.

Like with most things you buy in life, you get what you pay for! Ashleys furniture is relatively inexpensive and most is made in China where their standards are different than American standards so if QC was sleeping crap is shipped

I am not sure if you find this helpful so to sum it up...

MAKE THEM MAKE IT RIGHT by fixing it or replacing the item(s) that is broken

Old 10-05-2008, 05:18 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,707,760 times
We have not had a problem with Ashley stuff ( and we have several pieces) but we did have to call the customer service line for one issue.
WE had a coffee table that had inlaid slate squares on the top and my son decided to dance on the table....long story short one tile cracked.
I called to see how to replace it and they said they would send someone out to look at it. The guy came and took pictures, reported back to the co and it was determined that it could not be repaired or replaced (because it was discontinued).
We were offered a replacement table (credit for the $ amount of the original). Have not picked it out yet, but we are still using the old one until we do (they did not want it back). And if we decide to use the credit for something else, we can!
I would call customer service and get them to send someone to look at it. If they determine it is "faulty" or "poor quality" or something similar, then maybe THEY will pick up the stuff at no charge.
BTW- call the store and get the # for Montage- it is the company that does that type of customer service/ repair/warranty etc...) They are located in Houston I think, but will send someone from there to look at it.
Anne

Last edited by AGA; 10-05-2008 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: added stuff

Old 10-05-2008, 08:44 PM

184 posts, read 1,007,364 times
Thanks for the feedback.

The furniture is falling apart in the sense that two of the drawers had their fronts completely detached when our 7 yr old pulled it out a couple times. There is similar furniture in other bedrooms and this has never happened. It appears as if the drawers were not assembled/glued correctly.

I know they can come and fix it but we are worried that in just 3 days with very little use, things are breaking apart. We planned to keep furniture for couple of years and this doesn't look to be a good beginning.

I will be visiting their showroom on I35 tomorrow.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:10 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2austin View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

The furniture is falling apart in the sense that two of the drawers had their fronts completely detached when our 7 yr old pulled it out a couple times. There is similar furniture in other bedrooms and this has never happened. It appears as if the drawers were not assembled/glued correctly.

I know they can come and fix it but we are worried that in just 3 days with very little use, things are breaking apart. We planned to keep furniture for couple of years and this doesn't look to be a good beginning.

I will be visiting their showroom on I35 tomorrow.
No doubt an easy, correct and lasting fix. Glue and clamp turn/tighten the cams also if there are any!

If you have a HOT GLUE gun...take out all the drawers and put a bead of hot glue in the grove underneath the drawer it will make it much less flimsy!

Old 10-05-2008, 09:18 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
They should replace the furniture, letting you keep what you have until a replacement is brought by. If you don't want it any longer, talk to management, they should wave the pick up fee if they sold you inferior merchandise.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:59 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,707,760 times
2austin
How did that all work out?

Old 10-06-2008, 08:03 PM

30 posts, read 140,172 times
I would never buy Ashley furniture again. I've been very disappointed with mine. One of the couch arms creaks when I lean against it and the recliner pull cable has broken 3 times and they won't cover it under warranty anymore.

I hope that you have good luck getting a resolution that works for you.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:45 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
We purchase a bedroom set from Ashley last spring and have been happy with it. We got headboard, night stands and big dresser. We shopped around a lot, looked at many different stores, and thought that Ashley had the best combination of value, quality and style selection.

That said, they do sell some junk, which we didn't purchase.

All furniture stores have some junk product, except the higher end. You have to know a bit about furniture construction, how to open the drawers and examine the construction, and look at the side and rear panels.

The pieces we bought were more expensive, better built, with, for example, dovetail joints in the drawers instead of glue and staple. I wouldn't buy glued and stapled furniture because it does in fact fall apart, no matter whom you buy it from.

You get what you pay for. Let them warranty it for you and fix or replace the pieces. Unless you plan to spend more next time, you'll end up with the same construction quality.

Steve

Old 10-08-2008, 10:46 AM

739 posts, read 3,057,645 times
Interesting. We bought a brand new bedroom set from the Room Store. We love the quality of everything except the support legs on the bed. You know, the legs that hold the box spring up. During standard, uh, "newly wed activities" half the legs broke. The wood supports that went across the bed where the legs screwed into was so soft the legs ripped right out. So, instead of calling, I went to home depot, bought some harder wood (oh wow the pun there) and rebuilt the support braces and added 3x more legs. Now I can say it is rock solid.

At first I was a little ticked that our new $2000 bedroom set had this issue. I have no idea why they would put such crappy wood on the underside. Oh well, it was a fun fix it project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: