Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:30 PM

37 posts, read 63,908 times

Advertisements

Get yourself a realtor. They will send you an analysis each month for your neighborhood. It's not public info on TCAD or WCAD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 05:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,079 times
Default county tax appraisals

Moderator cut: see comment I can tell you honestly that the county appraisal value does not have much at all to do with sales prices. Like people said below, Texas is a non-disclosure state, so there isn't anywhere we can go online other than MLS to see sold values. Moderator cut: see comment Its a cool program I recently purchased called Market Snapshot to show consumers who don't have MLS access the sold data.

Chuc, to answer your question, if a buyer purchased a home for more than the county appraised value, then the buyer can opt to NOT disclose the purchase price and they would most likely get a good deal on their taxes for a while. However, as other buyers disclose their purchase prices, the values begin to change year by year on TCAD or WCAD.

Last edited by Bo; 06-30-2011 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: I explained this edit in the Direct Message I sent you.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:02 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmheyl View Post
I can tell you honestly that the county appraisal value does not have much at all to do with sales prices. Like people said below, Texas is a non-disclosure state, so there isn't anywhere we can go online other than MLS to see sold values. Its a cool program I recently purchased called Market Snapshot to show consumers who don't have MLS access the sold data.

Chuc, to answer your question, if a buyer purchased a home for more than the county appraised value, then the buyer can opt to NOT disclose the purchase price and they would most likely get a good deal on their taxes for a while. However, as other buyers disclose their purchase prices, the values begin to change year by year on TCAD or WCAD.
Now, remember, you can only legally provide that information to someone who you are working for as as seller or buyer, Texas being, as you said, a non-disclosure state.

Last edited by Bo; 06-30-2011 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: updated quote to match original

Old 07-02-2011, 05:48 AM

316 posts, read 877,365 times
Realtors are invaluable as intermediaries, especially given that transactions are an emotional roller-coaster.

But the most fresh, comprehensive data is available to anyone on Redfin. Moderator cut: link to broker site

Last edited by Bo; 07-03-2011 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: Per TOS, share real estate links via DM only.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:49 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb123 View Post
For homes in my area, that had previously been sold.

Is this info free online?
When I lived in MI, I just called the township or city tax assessor and asked. Never had anyone tell me they couldn't say.

OOOPS. Just noticed this is a real old thread.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:59 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
pjoseph2, Redfin cannot legally disclose the sales price on a specific home sold in Texas any more than any other agent or broker legally can. They're not exempt from Texas statutes.

You do, living in Austin, get what "nondisclosure state" means, correct?

Old 07-11-2011, 06:41 PM

316 posts, read 877,365 times
Redfin discloses sales data to everyone (who registers on their site), just as the agents and brokers do (for their clients). i have found the data to be accurate and more comprehensive than the CMA any broker could provide.

Overall i have an issue with the "nondisclosure state". Not disclosing prices makes people mistrustful and rightfully so. Transparency is good for everyone.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:59 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Now, remember, you can only legally provide that information to someone who you are working for as as seller or buyer, Texas being, as you said, a non-disclosure state.
I think you are mis-using the word "legally" there. The state isn't going to make a criminal of someone because they share real estate data. They may be in breech of a contract, but that isn't "illegal."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin