Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:09 AM

89 posts, read 418,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferDude View Post
We built a house on .75 acre, no pool, and before we moved in the builder watered the lawn and plants 7 days a week, which used over 200,000 gallons of water. They got a $3k water bill for that one month! Once we moved in, we scaled down to 6 days a week, but that used 90,000 gallons at the cost of $700. Now that winter is here, we are down to 2 days a week of watering....I am scared to open up my next water bill. In California, I was used to $50 bills.
What a waste of water! I have never watered my grass, and yes it looks bad this year, who cares. We do water trees and plants but if I was running things it would be against the law to water grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 11:14 AM

59 posts, read 240,507 times
Unfortunately, things need water to live. Would you also make it against the law for people and animals to have water too? You tell me what you would rather have during the peak of summer fire season: A. Dead grass catching a spark and burning down your neighborhood and your priceless belongings or B. Beautiful green grass that would be more resistant to fire.

You choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkk View Post
What a waste of water! I have never watered my grass, and yes it looks bad this year, who cares. We do water trees and plants but if I was running things it would be against the law to water grass.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:21 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Quote:
We built a house on .75 acre, no pool, and before we moved in the builder watered the lawn and plants 7 days a week, which used over 200,000 gallons of water. They got a $3k water bill for that one month! Once we moved in, we scaled down to 6 days a week, but that used 90,000 gallons at the cost of $700. Now that winter is here, we are down to 2 days a week of watering....I am scared to open up my next water bill. In California, I was used to $50 bills.

That is a good way to eventually annhilate your St. Augustine lawn. You should probably have your yard zoned so you only water the grass 1, maybe 2 X/week. Flower gardens might need a bit more. If you overwater St Augustine, eventually the roots will get a form of fungus or mold and die out.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:28 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
That is a good way to eventually annhilate your St. Augustine lawn. You should probably have your yard zoned so you only water the grass 1, maybe 2 X/week. Flower gardens might need a bit more. If you overwater St Augustine, eventually the roots will get a form of fungus or mold and die out.
Also, if you water that frequently the roots of the St.Augustine will never get really deep into the ground -- thus it won't be as drought-tolerant as it should be. So it's a vicious cycle. If you do water frequently, you've probably conditioned your grass so that it actually may die if you stop. The proper way is to water St. Augustine deep, but only a few times a week (max).

Old 11-25-2008, 12:47 PM

89 posts, read 418,445 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, things need water to live. Would you also make it against the law for people and animals to have water too? You tell me what you would rather have during the peak of summer fire season: A. Dead grass catching a spark and burning down your neighborhood and your priceless belongings or B. Beautiful green grass that would be more resistant to fire.

You choose.
Of course people and animals need water don't be silly.

I live on 2.5 acres, I keep it cut to reduce the fire risk. I think it's a waste of water to water most lawns, after all people and animals need it.

That's my choice (i don't use the smiles I'm all grown up)

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 11-25-2008 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Take up moderating issues via DM

Old 11-25-2008, 01:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Plant a drought tolerant grass (native bermuda comes to mind) and get it going good and then stop.
It will go dormant but won't die and will come back with the rains.

Either that or get astro-turf on your lawn and have it green 24/7/365.

In Texas we need to conserve water as we get bad droughts.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:56 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
I haven't been gone from Austin that long! I know they have watering restrictions in place!! How are you getting away with watering more than every 5 days? And, everyone that mentioned it is correct. Watering St. Augustine that much is going to kill it eventually. It's very susceptible to fungus.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:47 AM

59 posts, read 240,507 times
Yeah, I think the builder overdid it with their excess watering. We have been at two days a week for the past two months, and we want to stop watering the grass during the winter. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 11-26-2008, 11:42 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,221 times
My bill says 41,300 gallons. I do have a big drip irrigation system so that could be the offender. Not to mention that I had the popcorn ceilings removed by the asbestos abatement people and they used water -- not sure how much though. I do have the water company coming out to recheck the meter read. I'm getting ready to check the meter myself to see if it's moving without water being turned on -- that was a good idea, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin