Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 03:14 PM

56 posts, read 129,473 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Cedar Park last month and received our first water bill of over $200. Does this sound right?

It's baffling to us because in PA we always used between 5,000-6,000 gallons each month. They are showing that we used 38,000 gallons here. What???? The only difference here is we have a sprinkler system that waters twice a week, well, once a week now. Could that really use that much more water? Again, in PA, we would water our yard with sprinklers and it would only show by a cost of a few more dollars each month.

I'm wondering if there may be a leak of some sort. We are renting a house and there is a service receipt that we found in a drawer where a plumber came out in November last year to look for a possible slab leak but nothing was found. Makes me wonder why they had someone come out.

Just wondering if this water usage sounds normal to you or should we investigate for a possible leak. 38,000 gallons of water being used in one month's time is just shocking.

If it is the norm, than it is what it is.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 03:21 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Spinklers twice a month can make a HUGE difference. I am from PA as well, and our grass didn't require nearly as much water, and it actually rains there quite a lot. So very little (if any) water went on our yard. We currently have a 1/3 acre lot that we water once a week. Our water bill last month was $150.

To check for a leak, simply turn off all faucets and other sources of water in the house and check the meter. If it's moving, you've got a leak.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:25 PM

17 posts, read 37,697 times
That seems possible. How big is your family? I found this information: "Average monthly water consumption: 18,000 gallons of water"
The easiest way to check for a leak is to check your water meter, if the little disk is spinning when you are not using any water then your probably have a leak.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:40 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Unless you have an enormous yard, a leak is likely! My family of 5+pets uses about 5000 gallons a month, 18,000 would be more typical with yard watering and no water-efficient appliances.

If you do not have a leak (call the water dept, in Austin they will come out and check for a leak not sure about CP) then the sprinkler system could be going off in the middle of the night (every night -- power outages can reset the system to default to everyday watering and to long default cycles sometimes in the middle of the night) you could also have a broken sprinkler head or buried head that is pouring out water underground.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:50 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
You can, however, have leaks in the sprinkler system that don't show up on the meter because the leak is only there when the sprinklers are running. We have recently had capped one sprinkler head that was under the wood deck stairs, and one that was under landscape cloth and rocks, and we had three underground leaks repaired, one from a landscaper pounding in metal edging on top of a pipe, and two from shovels breaking pipes while digging. Only two of these problems were found immediately, so resulted in no water loss. At this point, the water portion of our bill is about $20-$30 per month, and we hope even that will go down, as we have recently had 4 of our 6 sprinkler stations converted to drip. With stage 3 restrictions on the horizon, it is really important to work out all the bugs and make your water usage as efficient as possible. We have a small yard, by the way, just 1/3 acre.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:32 PM

56 posts, read 129,473 times
Thank you for all your responses.

We will try turning things off and then look at the meter to see if it's going. I completely shut off our sprinkler system because I was concerned that it might be going off at times we are not aware of, however, I don't think it has.

Our lot size is 8,464 sq ft.

That's interesting about the sprinkler heads leaking, too. Never thought of that.

We are a family of five, no pets and our lifestyle hasn't changed any from living in PA. I think we drink more water here and shower more (haha...from the hot weather) but the only difference would be the sprinkler system.

We'll investigate further and see if we come up with anything. With the Stage 3 in effect now, I hate the thought of water being wasted.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:05 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
Definitely have a leak. No way you should be north of 25K.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:08 PM

77 posts, read 192,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Definitely have a leak. No way you should be north of 25K.
Agreed.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:11 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times
I don't know - our bill was huge this month. I called and they tried to explain something about the averaging they do? Honestly I don't get it

Old 08-02-2013, 08:13 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Seems a little high. Though if all 5 take semi-long showers once a day, that adds up. Turn everything off, then go look at your meter. Are you in a MUD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin