Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:42 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times

Advertisements

Let's see, you've done 6 posts, on 3 different threads, all of them bashing Austin. Just what DID happen to you here to make you so bitter?

Old 01-05-2009, 05:53 PM

174 posts, read 501,859 times
All of things I have mention on my post.Are you referring to a specific incident or event?

Old 01-05-2009, 06:01 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
The definition and term "friend" is subjective. I know people who will talk to a person for a five minutes in a friendly conversation and that is considered "Friend".

I consider a friend somebody who calls me up every weekend to hang out or go to parties. Sometimes that includes me and sees my points of view most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Nope, not at all. And, interestingly, if you read this forum much, you'll find lots of people talking about what surprised them when they moved here was how easy it is to make friends.

If you have difficulty making friends, and lots and lots of people in the same situation don't seem to have that difficulty, as I've suggested before, you might want to consider not blaming it on bias against your sexual orientation, or the city you're in, or the fact that there's not a gay ghetto in a particular city, and look closer to home, at how you interact with people, at how positive or negative you are about things, at how genuinely friendly YOU are, at yourself, in other words, not at all the externals. You might get further that way, if your goal is making friends.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:02 PM

I completely understand your point of view because I lived through that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude72 View Post
All of things I have mention on my post.Are you referring to a specific incident or event?

Old 01-05-2009, 06:06 PM

Like I was telling the lady. "Friend" is very subjective. Didn't John McCain use the phrase "my friends" about 50 times during his presidential campaign? Yes, you get my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude72 View Post
Well maybe you made life time friends as long as you have money?or got high with them?
Because even if we don't really care we at least want to give the impression we do

Old 01-05-2009, 06:06 PM

Well, I have friends of 40 years who don't do that EVERY weekend. Sometimes once a month, because life gets busy, but we're good enough friends that we raised our kids together and we know that we can call on each other in a time of need and get an immediate response. I have friends that I work with that I go out with on occasion (again, when we have time). I have friends that I've not met in person, but only online, that I've been putting out a magazine with for 8 years now (I've met some in the flesh, others I've only met online, but we're friends nonetheless and meet daily online). If I want to do something on a weekend, I could certainly arrange it, but someone who calls me up every weekend to go do something and agrees with me on just about everything? Not so much. In fact, someone who agrees with me on just about everything would be just about the last thing I'd want in a friend - I want someone to have real conversations with, and if the conversation consists of what amounts to nothing more than "Me, too!", it gets boring pretty quickly.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:19 PM

Exactly, we have different ideas of what "Friend" is......I want my friends to be agreeable on most points and available for hanging out on the weekends....or every other weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, I have friends of 40 years who don't do that EVERY weekend. Sometimes once a month, because life gets busy, but we're good enough friends that we raised our kids together and we know that we can call on each other in a time of need and get an immediate response. I have friends that I work with that I go out with on occasion (again, when we have time). I have friends that I've not met in person, but only online, that I've been putting out a magazine with for 8 years now (I've met some in the flesh, others I've only met online, but we're friends nonetheless and meet daily online). If I want to do something on a weekend, I could certainly arrange it, but someone who calls me up every weekend to go do something and agrees with me on just about everything? Not so much. In fact, someone who agrees with me on just about everything would be just about the last thing I'd want in a friend - I want someone to have real conversations with, and if the conversation consists of what amounts to nothing more than "Me, too!", it gets boring pretty quickly.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:23 PM

A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself.
Jim Morrison

Old 01-05-2009, 07:05 PM

It is the perfect size For the city of Austin to see how many businesses they cram on to the smallest road, and bottle neck the entire flow of traffic.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:36 PM

So, what you want is a "yes man" friend who is at your beck and call to the extent that they're the one who does all the calling up? What does that friend get out of the deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin