Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 11:37 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,456,727 times

Advertisements

Leander has only recenty stopped being "way out in the boonies". The rail system that's coming in has caused quite a bit of growth out there, but it waits to be seen what having it actually does for the community in terms of activity. If you're looking for a lot of the kind of vibe that you've got in Barton Hills, I wouldn't recommend it - I'd be more inclined to say check out Georgetown, which is likewise a small town but has more of the amenities and attitudes that you find in Barton Hills (though not all of them, it simply can't by virtue of its size). I've lived in Barton Hills and still own a house there, and my office is in Georgetown so I "live" there, and I've been perfectly happy both places. So check it out and see how it "feels" to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 01:00 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,469,676 times
I love Georgetown. THL, do you know anything about the new neighborhood on Ronald Reagan just south of 29?

Old 02-19-2009, 03:03 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,456,727 times
Just south of 29 - I think I know the one you're talking with, starts with a C . . . I HATE it when my brain refuses to divulge information I know is in there! If that's the one you're thinking of, there are actually a couple going in on that stretch, one on the west side of Parmer/Ronald Reagan, one on the east side of the road, a bit apart from each other.

I'll go pound on my brain and see if I can shake it out and get back to you on that one.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:15 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,439,953 times
Steiner Ranch is way more Stepford than Circle C. Also, Legend Oaks is as you say "yuck" compared to Circle C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll pass them on to our realtor and we'll also be doing some driving on our own. If you have actual street/intersection suggestions, I'm very receptive.

Austin-Steve, I didn't mean to insult. I can see how others would like CC - that's why there's variety, because we don't all like or want the same things. And, yes, the distance to downtown makes it very appealing, as do the prices. My "yuck" was merely a reflection of my own taste and opinion, not a judgment on others who might choose the area because it works for them. But, clearly, I could've chosen better descriptives.

Today, we checked out Legend Oaks and I liked the look and feel of it significantly better than CC ... not sure why, just a bit less "same-looking" and more mature trees, not as sharply manicured, though still somewhat "straight and narrow". Because I liked Legend Oaks well enough, we put Steiner Ranch and VAWO back on the list, will see them tomorrow or Fri (should've stopped there today since we were so close, but oh well).

We also went around Barton Hills and, yep, the homes are small, expensive and many need work. We're thinking about that. We LOVE LOVE the neighborhood though and are bummed that the prices might take us out of the game - but it's early enough in our process, we can still dream/ delude ourselves .

We were also up in Highland Hills and Cat Mountain ... gorgeous area. We saw a few nice homes that would push us a bit over our range, but would be doable. However, we talked to one of the neighbors, an older woman, and she seemed to suggest that it wasn't very "family-focused", not sure if that's all of the neighborhood or just her street *shrug*

Then we went to Round Rock and I didn't like that either. There doesn't seem to be much going on there (as far as the liveliness that we're looking for). It seemed more like an office park neighborhood (which makes sense, with Dell and all).

Is Leander pretty much like Round Rock? Haven't made it up there yet and, honestly, I don't even want to bother if it's the same type of thing.'

I really appreciate getting so much help from you guys and apologize if I insult you or your choices with my preferences ... I'm just trying to be honest about what we are liking and not liking so as to give a clearer picture of what we're looking for ... and hence get better/ more focused opinions.

Keep 'em coming!

Old 02-20-2009, 12:42 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,074,134 times
Quote:
Today, we checked out Legend Oaks and I liked the look and feel of it significantly better than CC ... not sure why, just a bit less "same-looking
Legend Oaks was built by the very same production builders as Circle C, and many of the homes are the identical floorplans as those in CC. Same with VAWO. And I've seen Circle C floorplans in Steiner as well, by the same builders.

Since you liked Legend Oaks, I think you must have missed a large portion of Circle C, the older areas off Escarpment Blvd. that have many majestic oaks on tree lined streets. The newer section would perhaps seem more sterile and uninspired, but the heart of CC is very much the same as Legend Oaks.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:54 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,541,852 times
I loved Circle C as do many of the people that live there. And most realtors will try to recommend it over many SW neighborhoods because it has had staying power in value all of these years. I lived in the older part and had more mature landscaping and not one other house on my street was my elevation or floor plan. But to each his own...but I agree, how is CCR more "stepford" than any other subdivision in Austin? I loved it for the people, the schools and the proximity to downtown and airport. I had loads of friends with much the same opinion as Minier who lived near campus pre-kids that said they would NEVER live in CCR. Many of them do now and LOVE IT. Kind of like the people who say they will never drive a minivan! And then fall in love with it. One rule in my life is that I try not to use the word NEVER in absolutes!!

Old 02-20-2009, 05:56 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,335,837 times
I drove by Travis Country yesterday and was reminded of what a nice neighborhood that is. I know it gets pricey, but in this market a home in the 300s might be possible.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:08 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,541,852 times
Yes, I agree mimimomx3. We were just priced out there and in LakePointe back in the heyday of 2000 so we went to CCR instead and didn't regret at all. But we have a lot of friends that live in TC. I liked it a lot.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:19 PM

371 posts, read 1,363,555 times
Quote:
I had loads of friends with much the same opinion as Minier who lived near campus pre-kids that said they would NEVER live in CCR. Many of them do now and LOVE IT. Kind of like the people who say they will never drive a minivan! And then fall in love with it. One rule in my life is that I try not to use the word NEVER in absolutes!!
LOL Touche! You might end up being right. We did, afterall, get a minivan despite all our "nevers" on that front . I must not have seen the older sections of CC then because where I saw there were barely any trees and it all seemed much more uniform.

Time will tell....

Old 02-20-2009, 07:28 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,068,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
LOL Touche! You might end up being right. We did, afterall, get a minivan despite all our "nevers" on that front . I must not have seen the older sections of CC then because where I saw there were barely any trees and it all seemed much more uniform.

Time will tell....
Huh, I wonder what part of CC you were in because the one great thing about it is all of the trees and the very natural feel to it. Did you go to Circle C west, Circle C on the Park, and newer gated communities there? That has a different feel than the old CC and my personal favorite, Wildflower Park. Honestly, I think Steiner Ranch feels way more stepfordy than CC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin