Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:54 PM

7 posts, read 23,253 times

Advertisements

I'm living in North Austin right now, but the condo prices in SoCo looks ripe for purchasing. I thinking about getting a place in 2020 South Congress. Anyone have any thoughts or reviews of the place after the condo conversion? All the ones I found online were from when it was an apartment, so it doesn't directly apply. If you don't know exactly about the complex, I would still love to hear your thoughts about SoCo in general. I know it used to be a shady neighborhood that has been being redeveloped into an unique neighborhood in the past few years. Has the recent economic downturns shelved those plans? Although I am willing to tolerate a bit more crime in order to live in a happening neighborhood, I still don't want to live in a ghetto. Like, is it safe to walk to and from the bars downtown? If I leave my car on the street, will it still be there a week later? How cool is the area really? I only been to a few stores, and they seemed okay, nothing too extreme. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 01:12 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Well, condos in general can be poor investments and condo conversions even more so but the prices are very low and I have found that apartments buildings originally built prior to the 1980s boom are studier than those built in the 80s and early 90s. It is hardly a desirable complex though the best thing about it is how close it is to Congress. Have you looked at renting in a place like the Statehouse?

Travis Heights and Bouldin have always been great neighborhoods but it used to be that proximity to South Congress brought down property values, now it lifts them up.

Unless you are very fit, it is a pretty long walk to E. Live Oak from downtown (and up hill on the return trip!) But it is a quick bus ride. It is not a ghetto. But there are homeless people around (on the bus and in the parks and library). I am very rarely asked for money and I have no problem with them but you might. There will be street noise from activities like First Thursday, SXSW, buses, and the middle school. You might find this to be a wonderful "urban buzz" or it might drive you crazy.

Cars do get broken into and empty houses and apartments on occasion but robbery is rare. You can walk to all the shops and restaurants on S. Congress safely. I walk around there all the time. There are almost always a fair number of people about.

You need to spend more time down here, a lot more time before you invest any money. Cool is a very subjective thing.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:46 PM

593 posts, read 1,378,518 times
They certainly look nice on the inside. The surrounding neighborhoods are nice. Lots to do in the area and close to everything in Austin. I have to agree with "Central" you probably won't be walking to downtown but the congress bus is short ride there from that location. There are a few homeless and even some questionable bus riders in that area many catching transfers. Plenty of sirens too because the FD/PMeds are just down the street. I can't believe the sheer number of people frequenting SOUTH CONGRESS today. People parking everywhere in the surrounding neighborhoods, I'll bet that gets on homeowners nerves. Anyway, I digress. Yeah, cars get broke into but nothing on the scale they used to 20 years ago. Prices that low, you can always sell it later if you don't like it there.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:45 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,037,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by consultant_usa View Post
I'm living in North Austin right now, but the condo prices in SoCo looks ripe for purchasing. I thinking about getting a place in 2020 South Congress. Anyone have any thoughts or reviews of the place after the condo conversion? All the ones I found online were from when it was an apartment, so it doesn't directly apply. If you don't know exactly about the complex, I would still love to hear your thoughts about SoCo in general. I know it used to be a shady neighborhood that has been being redeveloped into an unique neighborhood in the past few years. Has the recent economic downturns shelved those plans? Although I am willing to tolerate a bit more crime in order to live in a happening neighborhood, I still don't want to live in a ghetto. Like, is it safe to walk to and from the bars downtown? If I leave my car on the street, will it still be there a week later? How cool is the area really? I only been to a few stores, and they seemed okay, nothing too extreme. Thanks.
I live there so I should know.....totally fine.....yeah, it used to be Bubbaville and skid row-ish in the 80's and early 90's, but that was then and this is now.......it sure ain't no ghetto now, though it does have pockets of redneck/crazy folk here and there.....I've ridden my 10-speed through there at night often......there are some pretty cool places here too like Opal Devine's and Ruta Maya's a bit farther south......If you are looking for Disneyland, don't bother, if you are looking for a real slice of Austin that hasn't been tamed or gentrified quite yet, but still relatively safe, come here without hesitation......while it still has a personality....

I would say 2 miles is one long @ss walk to 6th, but, hell no, you are more likely to get your ride stolen DT than on 20th and congress.........and you are more likely to get jumped DT/6th after hours than walking home on south congress......I've done it many times...long walk, but most peaceful and quiet....
This isn't exactly Brooklyn after all!

Last edited by inthecut; 04-07-2009 at 02:53 PM..

Old 04-07-2009, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time recently to check out the area as often. My apartment lease came up for renewal, which prompted me to seriously consider moving. I'm looking to buy, otherwise I can stay in my apt and take advantage of their lower renewals. The reason why I'm looking at 2020 are: Lower HOAs Proximity to SoCo Proximity to DT (ideally I would like to walk like I did in Europe and Asia, is it too far to jog to the bike and hike trail?) Safety is big for me, since I do take long trips abroad and would like to know that my stuff will be there when I return. Also, I enjoy walking around, so I'm not a fan of being approached and ask for money. Surprisingly when I was there, NYC was not too bad in this regard. I'll try to go check it out this weekend. Any advice on what to explore or look for around the area?

Old 04-07-2009, 08:52 PM

Oh yeah, sorry if my messages come out formatted incorrectly. Somehow my messages are being reformatted to remove all the Enters.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:26 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Take a ride on the number 1 bus. Yes, you could walk downtown but the walk back up the hill is long. If you want to walk alot, you will also need to ride the bus. You CAN walk from 2020 to the S Congress HEB, check it out (I love that HEB and practically write poetry about it, but some people do not like it). Walk down S. Congress from your place, eat at the Mighty Cone trailer, have a cupcake at Hey Cupcake, continue down S. Congress, take a look in Lucy in Disguise with Diamonds, go into Allan's boots, have a drink at Gueros, keep going down the hill, have coffee at Jo's, check out the Continental Club, now start back up the hill, look in at Rivers and Reef, Ten Thousands Villages, walk into the Travis Heights neighborhood on the east.

gotta go, you'll figure it out.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:24 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
You CAN walk from 2020 to the S Congress HEB, check it out (I love that HEB and practically write poetry about it, but some people do not like it).
I guess I'm one of those who don't like it. (no poetry here ) I mean, I still go there for odds and ends and late-night shopping but I think this neighborhood could do better. What a cattle call!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:52 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
If I didn't have kids (and all the 'stuff' that goes with them), I'd live in Soco in a second. I would love to be able to walk to all the stuff I love to do. The downside that I can see is the traffic/parking on weekends and special occasions that close down streets etc., but that's part of the fun. I would check out every condo in the area and press HARD for a good deal. Good luck and have fun!

Old 04-08-2009, 11:57 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,037,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by consultant_usa View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time recently to check out the area as often. My apartment lease came up for renewal, which prompted me to seriously consider moving. I'm looking to buy, otherwise I can stay in my apt and take advantage of their lower renewals. The reason why I'm looking at 2020 are: Lower HOAs Proximity to SoCo Proximity to DT (ideally I would like to walk like I did in Europe and Asia, is it too far to jog to the bike and hike trail?) Safety is big for me, since I do take long trips abroad and would like to know that my stuff will be there when I return. Also, I enjoy walking around, so I'm not a fan of being approached and ask for money. Surprisingly when I was there, NYC was not too bad in this regard. I'll try to go check it out this weekend. Any advice on what to explore or look for around the area?
No...I run to the trail from about there, and incorporate it into my workout.......you might be approached occasionally, but just ignore....
you get FAR more panhandling DT and north/northwest.......

Continental Club is a nice 7 block walk for you, if you like eclectic music, and avoiding DUI's, that might be a great regular place to hang out....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin