Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 02:15 PM

428 posts, read 1,064,668 times

Advertisements

I saw some pictures earlier today of Georgetown & other Austin suburbs totally under water. Then I ran several street addresses from houses we were looking at on Realtor.com thru the Floodsmart.gov: Your premier resource for flood insurance information website and they all came back as low to moderate flood risks.

Is flooding that common there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 02:41 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,171 times
I can't answer your question, but I did notice on the site you posted that their tagline is: "Everyone lives in a flood zone" so I wouldn't really go by what they say. I typed in my mom's house that hasn't even been close to flooded in the 40+ years she's lived there (i.e. no flood risk). It also said "Low to moderate flood risk." I don't think they list "not a flood risk" as an option at all (hence their tagline).

Old 03-25-2009, 02:48 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
City of Austin will provide flood plain maps. There are flood plains that are generally used for greenbelts/parks/golfcourse/easements. Then there are 100 year and 500 year flood plains. No lender will underwrite a mortgage for a new house built in 100yfp. because no one will provide homeowners insurance for it. There are houses in 100/500 year flood plains, but they were built before knowledge of this (some areas of Onion Creek for example) If it makes you feel any better, W. Riverside is a 100yfp, and downtown up to Second street is a 500yfp. The developers don't seemed phased by it obviously.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:50 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
"Everyone lives in a flood zone" so I wouldn't really go by what they say.
true - a 4000 year flood plain - start building an ark.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:52 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,228 times
What I want to know is how close are you to the 100 or 500 year flood mark?

Old 03-25-2009, 04:14 PM

198 posts, read 500,445 times
Talking Flood Deja Vu

We had quite a shock when we found out our house was in the new 100 year flood plain in mid December. Board members were incredibly helpful sorting out the maps and insurance nightmare. Our next door neighbor, whose house was built second on the street (ours was the first), said there have never been flood waters in either of our yards or on the tee boxes behind the houses. So fingers crossed, but just in case we have flood insurance.
Again, I can't thank board members enough for their advice on the flood maps and other issues as we've returned from "the mother planet " (well at least mine...DH is more a Netherlands guy.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:21 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Wasn't all the flooding we had a few years ago when Rivers like the San Gabriel went WAAAYYYY over their banks supposed to be the 4 or 500 yr. mark?

Old 03-25-2009, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the info. I figured it was something like the whole "Don't move to California, as it'll fall off the map any second" sorta thing. However, I'd prefer to build an ark than try to figure out how to climb back onto the map...

Old 03-25-2009, 08:35 PM

106 posts, read 376,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runemaster View Post
Thanks for the info. I figured it was something like the whole "Don't move to California, as it'll fall off the map any second" sorta thing. However, I'd prefer to build an ark than try to figure out how to climb back onto the map...
That's pretty much what it is. If you live out in the country in a low lying area near water you are more likely to have flooding. Or if you live beside a river. Also, sometimes creeks flood (Spicewood Springs seems like it's always blocked off). So if you live near a creek, make sure there are alternative routes so you don't get blocked. In 98 we had horrible flooding in San Marcos and New Braunfels where there are 3 rivers that run through both towns. My in-laws live on a hill so they were fine but my husband lived in the country outside of San Marcos and his house flooded. Around 2002 Canyon Lake dam overflowed and most of the homes along the Guadalupe river flooded. There was alot of news also about flooding in 2007. I lived near Lake Travis in River Place and everything was good for us. Those are going to be the main areas that flood.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJarrett View Post
That's pretty much what it is. If you live out in the country in a low lying area near water you are more likely to have flooding. Or if you live beside a river. Also, sometimes creeks flood (Spicewood Springs seems like it's always blocked off). So if you live near a creek, make sure there are alternative routes so you don't get blocked. In 98 we had horrible flooding in San Marcos and New Braunfels where there are 3 rivers that run through both towns. My in-laws live on a hill so they were fine but my husband lived in the country outside of San Marcos and his house flooded. Around 2002 Canyon Lake dam overflowed and most of the homes along the Guadalupe river flooded. There was alot of news also about flooding in 2007. I lived near Lake Travis in River Place and everything was good for us. Those are going to be the main areas that flood.
Okay, thanks. So, not much, if any up north in the Cedar Park, Leander, Georgetown areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin